• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit goes crazy when I give them more space

Melon_Pip

Young Bun
[More info. in later post!]

Have a pair, bonded in Nov. Both long time neutered. In the last week or so female has gone bonkers - throwing toys out the cage and out the run, throwing things around in a sort of frantic way rather than a playful way, digging up the mats, kicking litter around, shoving everything. She seems intent on destroying the home I've made for them. I'm not sure what to do because if I take the mats out they'll just be on laminate floor, but she is tearing them to pieces...
She seems like she is angry or disturbed or something.

She came from a rescue where she had been for about 1.5 years, most of her life we think. She was super relaxed and overly friendly when I first got her - I guess psychologically she was trying to be friends with anyone, desperate to form a bond (humans do this too in certain circumstances :(). She also got cross and bossy when cleaning out the run/cage! Now she gets lots of bunny kisses from her pal (doesn't give many, if any, back) and will still come for a cuddle but has in general calmed down and doesn't mind stuff being cleaned really. I thought this was all good, until the last weel when they angry chucking stuff around and destroying everything started.

Any ideas why she's doing this, or what to do? Tips for a different floor covering especially welcome!

Also - to be clear... they have a cage/run but are allowed out of it during the day. It's only within the run, and under my bed (the spaces they considered theirs) that she does this.

Last edited:
In the wild at this time of year female rabbits would be digging and getting a nest hole sorted out for their babies. Maybe it is this kind of behaviour you are seeing. Humans are sometimes similar, in Spring we want to clean our homes and ditch things etc :roll: You are sure she was neutered? Have they got lots of hay, this helps to calm them down.

This sounds just like my bella, up until yesterday every time I was cleaning the litter tray, she would dig it all out.. Literally throwing hay cookies, and chewing her toys like crazy.

I put it down to spring fever, but last night has now stopped eating her pellets so we're off the vets today.. So just be warned it may be she isn't feeling brilliant and her way of dealing with it maybe? That looks like the case with my girl, but like others have said it might just be spring fever and nothing to worry about Xxx

Wow I didn't know anything about spring fever! Have only had males before. She's definitely neutered. I'm surprised spring fever still happens when neutered!
Right, so if I replace the litter tray with an underbed storage box, and fill it with hay as well as litter, would that help? (at the moment they have hay racks by the litter tray)
Maybe put an old towel in the "indoor" part of cage for her to scrabble around with?
Any other ideas?
Really hope it is spring fever and not anything else! It does coincide perfectly with things being more springlike here (NE England)
I keep trying to entice her outside so she can have a proper dig in my raised flower beds (before the steps get taken away when stuff is growing) but she doesn't want to go!

ps. When I was sorting the cage/run last night she ran off for comfort from her bun friend, and gave him a proper grooming for the first time! She's learning, bless her. :)

She's being nice to him because they all think of babies especially at this time of the year. Yes a big litter tray with newspaper/similar on the bottom filled with hay might calm her down a bit. They don't usually keep this spring fever up for very long, thankfully.

WEIRD DEVELOPMENT!!

I put both bunnies in another pen for 24hrs, before returning them to their cleaned cage/run. Had to do this as Tilly decided it belonged all to her when Mel was ill...
Anyway, in order to make sure they shared nicely, I have kept them in the run for 3 days, without letting them out. Tilly has stopped her crazy digging/chucking stuff.
But.... tonight I let them out for a run around, and she's started again! In particular throwing stuff/toys out the little door.

I'm trying to make sense of this.

When they are allowed out, she goes crazy/throws stuff around/out the run.
When they are confined to the run, she's calmer (just normal chewing/digging).

Why??!!
<head scratch emoticon!>

Last edited:
Back