• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Star keeps getting a dirty bottom-please help!

JosieLiz

Young Bun
Hi, I'm not sure what to do. Star keeps getting a dirty bottom. I check her 3 times a day and I have to clip poo from her fur daily. She had flystrike summer 2015, and she had it a second time summer 2016, both times she made a full recovery. I am terrified that she will get flystrike again. She eats a small amount of Science Selective rabbit food, has fresh hay daily and some cabbage. She is bonded with Rupert, he eats the same as her, but has no problems with a dirty bottom-he is always clean. I am very worried about Star, should I take her to the vet? If I take her to the vet, should I bring Rupert along too? I am really scared she will get flystrike again. Thank you.

Hello and welcome. It must be very worrying for you - her diet seems good and her friend has not got the same problem. So I think it would be wise to let your Vet check her teeth as teeth problems can give them a messy bum. You could also stop giving her cabbage and perhaps try something else as some rabbits can't digest cabbage well. I hope you can resolve this situation.

Hi, I'm not sure what to do. Star keeps getting a dirty bottom. I check her 3 times a day and I have to clip poo from her fur daily. She had flystrike summer 2015, and she had it a second time summer 2016, both times she made a full recovery. I am terrified that she will get flystrike again. She eats a small amount of Science Selective rabbit food, has fresh hay daily and some cabbage. She is bonded with Rupert, he eats the same as her, but has no problems with a dirty bottom-he is always clean. I am very worried about Star, should I take her to the vet? If I take her to the vet, should I bring Rupert along too? I am really scared she will get flystrike again. Thank you.

'Mucky Bum' is usually due to a dietary problem, a Dental problem or a mobility problem.

You say that she has a 'small amount of Science Selective', but how much in grams ?
Does Star eat a lot of have, providing hay is one thing but the Rabbit needs to eat a lot of it to maintain healthy Dentition and a healthy GI tract.

Some Rabbits do not cope too well with certain Vegetables, have you tried cutting out Veg for a few days ?

I would get Star checked over by your Vet to make sure that she does not have any Dental problems or any other physical problem that is effecting her ability to clean herself. It is also important to make sure that she is not over-weight. I would take Rupert along with her. This link may be useful to take a look at :

http://www.towervets.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_286474.shtml

Thank you for your replies, I will cut out veg for a few days and hopefully that will help. As for her Science Selective, I have a little cup (about the size of an egg cup) that Alice at Wind whistle warren rescue centre gave me and she and Rupert have one cup in the morning and one cup in the evening. Thank you for the link Jack's-Jane, it was very interesting. She eats hay. I think I will cut out the veg, and if she still has the problem in a few days, shall I take her to the vet? By the way, Star is a mini-lop.

Hi there

Yes do try and take both rabbits with you to the vet when you go.

Tonibun is also correct that you should ask the vet to check the teeth, as sometimes this hinders a rabbit cleaning themselves.

It's usually an excess of pellets (concentrated feed) that makes for a mucky bum. Rabbits fed on veggies and hay, providing the veggies are the leafy green sort, and herbs, don't usually have the problem.

Tamsin (our site owner) has written this useful guide :D

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

Thank you everyone for the replies, your posts have been very helpful. I will change Star's diet slightly. I will cut out the cabbage, she was having two large cabbage leaves a day, I will also increase her hay and I brought a dried herbs mix from the pet shop which I think she will like. If the problem does turn out to be dental, what can the vet do for her? Can it be cured?

Thank you everyone for the replies, your posts have been very helpful. I will change Star's diet slightly. I will cut out the cabbage, she was having two large cabbage leaves a day, I will also increase her hay and I brought a dried herbs mix from the pet shop which I think she will like. If the problem does turn out to be dental, what can the vet do for her? Can it be cured?

Good on you with her diet - I hope that will solve the issue :)

A dental is easy for vets to do so please don't worry. They can assess the state of the teeth consciously (which is not easy unless they are able to do 'conscious dentals') or sedate for a closer exam.

Under GA the back teeth can be filed down, and if necessary, an X-ray taken to determine the state of the tooth roots.

But don't worry about that yet - I would tackle the diet first, as you're doing

Good luck :)

Dental problems can vary in presentation and severity. Treatment, if any were needed, would depend on the specific problems. It may be that Star does not have any dental issues at all. When making any dietary changes it is important to carefully monitor Bunny's output to make sure that GI tract motility does not slow down.

Is Star at a healthy weight at the moment ?

Dental problems can vary in presentation and severity. Treatment, if any were needed, would depend on the specific problems. It may be that Star does not have any dental issues at all. When making any dietary changes it is important to carefully monitor Bunny's output to make sure that GI tract motility does not slow down.

Is Star at a healthy weight at the moment ?

I think she is a healthy weight, she has seen the vet a lot in the past because of the flystrike and they said she was fine in weight.I have other rabbits, and I check their bottoms too, and Star is the only one with a mucky bottom.

Hi, Star is doing well on her new diet. I have checked her twice today and she had a clean bottom both times. I will keep checking her, but hopefully she won't get flystrike again, it is really lovely to see her clean. Thank you everyone.

Hi, Star is doing well on her new diet. I have checked her twice today and she had a clean bottom both times. I will keep checking her, but hopefully she won't get flystrike again, it is really lovely to see her clean. Thank you everyone.

You're welcome!

What a great result - and so fast! :D

Wow! What lovely news! You were lucky you didn't lose her to flystrike, most rabbits die from it. :thumb:

Back