• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet insurance

Hills

Young Bun
Hi everyone!

What is the best/cheapest insurance, I have 4 bunnies!

Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You pay for what you get with insurance.

A cheaper policy may look good, but often they don't pay full amounts (e.g. they'll only part pay a hospitalisation fee, anything they don't pay is left to you to pay).

Petplan is the highest rated insurance, but they do cost more than some.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That is very true, I've just seen one called helpucover, not too sure on it though!

That is very true, I've just seen one called helpucover, not too sure on it though!

I know some members use this company. I've never personally dealt with them, and I've only skimmed their cover and small print. Generally seems okay but double check dental cover, and gut stasis cover - Petplan do cover both these things in full as I have to routinely claim dental treatment and I've had to claim stasis too.

Double check who your vets will deal with directly too. Some vets won't deal with certain companies when making a direct claim so if you were to have a bill of say £800 could you afford to pay upfront and claim back?
Petplan is generally always dealt with directly through the vets for large sums.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I have Petplan and have a small discount for "multiple" buns, so you should get a bigger one with 4 bunnies.

I would recommend them as I have claimed quite a lot for repeat illnesses and never once had a problem with them paying up.

I use Pets At Home insurance - they are cheaper than Petplan but don't pay out quite as much each year (only up to £1500) and their excess is higher.

BUT - they have always paid out for my claims - which have mostly been for Gut Stasis.

I know that Dental treatment is covered as well as long as the rabbit gets regular dental check ups.

I use Pets At Home insurance - they are cheaper than Petplan but don't pay out quite as much each year (only up to £1500) and their excess is higher.

BUT - they have always paid out for my claims - which have mostly been for Gut Stasis.

I know that Dental treatment is covered as well as long as the rabbit gets regular dental check ups.

This cover from Pets at Home is no longer available, they've been bought out by Petplan and the higher premiums and the £2k cover now are the policies available. Those of us with the old policies are very lucky.

This cover from Pets at Home is no longer available, they've been bought out by Petplan and the higher premiums and the £2k cover now are the policies available. Those of us with the old policies are very lucky.
I hadn't realised this...I thought they had putting up their renewal premiums by more than normal just recently as well...this would explain it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I hadn't realised this...I thought they had putting up their renewal premiums by more than normal just recently as well...this would explain it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yeah, they are not as sky high as I expected though. I had one renewal for £95 and a few for about £110 - I was expecting them to be £160 minimum so highly relieved!

Back