• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperate help needed for litter training

chareg96

Young Bun
Hi all.

I have had Phoebe for a year now and she has always been a house bunny. First off she was confined to a corner of the living room but when we were home we would let her have a roam. Then i went back to uni and my mum (being the soft ****** she is) decided to let Phoebe out all the time. She was ok with littler training, not perfect but we didn't expect her to be as she wasn't spayed yet.

Then we got her spayed in July. After spaying the litter training just got worse. Now every day I have to come home from work and clean up the mess she has made :(. I can't confine her either as we gave away what we were using to someone else...

We have a hitch outside but that is home to big b and they haven't met yet as big b isn't spayed so her behaviour is a bit unpredictable.

We have tried moving the litter tray to where she does her poos and sees but she will just go do them somewhere else...help please this is really getting me and mum down as we feel like we're living in a hutch :(.

I would just bite the bullet, realise I had made a mistake and then buy a large dog crate and attach a large run to it, so she could then have free range time when you are at home.

You can't force a rabbt to use a litter tray, some do but a lot won't do everything in one. I agree with Babsie. Make up some kind of enclosure which is her own space then maybe she might start using a litter tray more often.

Things are a bit tight at the moment and neither of us have any spare cash going.

I will try and be creative and see what I can do!

I would just bite the bullet, realise I had made a mistake and then buy a large dog crate and attach a large run to it, so she could then have free range time when you are at home.

You can't force a rabbt to use a litter tray, some do but a lot won't do everything in one. I agree with Babsie. Make up some kind of enclosure which is her own space then maybe she might start using a litter tray more often.
I agree with Babsie and Tonibun.

I'd make her a new enclosure area, and allow free roam when home.
You may find having her confined to her new enclosure for a few days beneficial until she's using her tray.
Ensure you have hay in her tray as they often like to munch as they do their business.
Generally once a rabbit is always urinating in their tray, they are considered litter trained. Even neutered they will still mark territory with faeces.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What are you using in the litter tray? And can she get in and out of it ok? Has she had a vet check in case there is something healthwise which might be causing it?

I found when one of mine was getting older she started to loose her litter training, once I changed the litter tray to something with a lower side she managed much better. Obviously your rabbit is only young but it still might be worth trying. Also does she have her own designated tray? I see you mentioned you have another rabbit, has that coincided with the worsening litter training? Does you share trays between them? Might be worth washing the tray inside and out with a vinegar solution to remove any scent that might be lingering.

Just a few things you might want to consider or try before reducing her space. Would be a shame to limit her exercise room if something else might fix the problem.

Hi all.

I have had Phoebe for a year now and she has always been a house bunny. First off she was confined to a corner of the living room but when we were home we would let her have a roam. Then i went back to uni and my mum (being the soft ****** she is) decided to let Phoebe out all the time. She was ok with littler training, not perfect but we didn't expect her to be as she wasn't spayed yet.

Then we got her spayed in July. After spaying the litter training just got worse. Now every day I have to come home from work and clean up the mess she has made :(. I can't confine her either as we gave away what we were using to someone else...

We have a hitch outside but that is home to big b and they haven't met yet as big b isn't spayed so her behaviour is a bit unpredictable.

We have tried moving the litter tray to where she does her poos and sees but she will just go do them somewhere else...help please this is really getting me and mum down as we feel like we're living in a hutch :(.

Hi there

Sorry you're having difficulties.

There's a school of thought that promotes litter training by confining a rabbit to a cage ... Not sure what I think about it, but it's here if you want to read:

http://rabbit.org/faq-litter-training-2/

More hints and tips here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/housetrain.htm

I hope something here might help :)

Back