• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor uncovered run flooring ideas?

Tabbytown

New Kit
I have 2 six year old buns. They have always been outdoor. About 18 months ago I got them a new covered, giant metal dog kennel (that I can stand up in) as their old housing was wood a it was degrading in the wet Seattle climate. I put pavers down for the kennel flooring. The whole setup is in a new location.

Their old run was on grass but they had pretty much destroyed it. With the new run, the grass died pretty quickly and I was left with dirt. Not a problem, they could dig, it drained well, etc. Then my 2 buns decided that the run was their new litterbox about 6 months ago. I've been raking out droppings every few days, but the smell is really getting bad. I've also dug down quite a bit just from raking it out. I need to refill the run with SOMETHING that can easily be scooped / cleaned and will keep the smell down.

The run is about 3 feet by 5 feet. It does not have a cover, it gets rained on A LOT. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with my stinky, wet, dirt run? I don't need litter training suggestions for the buns, I don't really mind what they are doing as their housing is now immaculate :)

Only thing I can suggest is something like paving slabs or perhaps rubber horse matting? Sounds like a lovely new set up for the buns :)

I'd love to know too :) We used to have our run on grass (well it started as grass lol) and like yours it just turned into a muddy mess. It would have been lovely for them to have luscious grass to nibble, but the reality is quite different.

I know some people move their runs around the garden to allow the grass to recover. But with something that is particularly large or heavy this isn't usually possible. We did, for a time have the run on a base. This was made from wooden bearers and a large piece of ply wood and the run sat on top. But not really ideal for your situation.

Now we have a different run, but it's on paving slabs. Maybe the only solution is to slab the whole thing x

Could you use something like this?

http://www.slip-not.co.uk/size/Rubb...=fa827f7fe176a0d8c58e136de3ed8c63&fo_s=gplauk

Just place it down, fill with soil and maybe put some grass seed down? (Ideally you'd have the run overlap so it has some weight to it as extra protection, but generally with the soil on it, it's pretty heavy anyway)

It prevents digging out, and prevents predators digging in. It allows drainage and you could likely sweep it, as the holes would be filled in so you can't exactly ware down the run level.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Could you use something like this?

http://www.slip-not.co.uk/size/Rubb...=fa827f7fe176a0d8c58e136de3ed8c63&fo_s=gplauk

Just place it down, fill with soil and maybe put some grass seed down? (Ideally you'd have the run overlap so it has some weight to it as extra protection, but generally with the soil on it, it's pretty heavy anyway)

It prevents digging out, and prevents predators digging in. It allows drainage and you could likely sweep it, as the holes would be filled in so you can't exactly ware down the run level.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That sounds good, I wonder if we could do something like that when we get our new run. Will have to do some pricing up x

Hi. I use inch think rubber matting for horses. It currently has a roll of turf on it which has nearly died now so i may put bark chippings down for them to dig up. Or I may just leave it as rubber. Only thing is that they don't have concrete slabs to wear down their nails on but they have them clipped at the vets when they have their checks anyway. Xx

Back