• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ask for positive vibes for Dash-U/D 04/22/2018

Many vibes on the way for Dash. Poor lad, he is having a time of it. :( And extra squishy hugs coming your way too. xxxx

Many vibes on the way for Dash. Poor lad, he is having a time of it. :( And extra squishy hugs coming your way too. xxxx

Thank you Mimz Mum. The extra squishy hugs are especially appreciated. Having had Raven to the vets on Monday after he relapsed with stasis following his dental (he is improving) and then having Dash on Wednesday is causing me a lot of anxiety. Only someone who has owned a bunny can appreciate my hoping and praying for poo!
Evan, Dash's brother, is watching him all day (boys are separated since Evan's neuter last month, Dash's was cancelled so he is still intact); so I am hoping Evan is giving Dash encouragement.

Dashed passed his first awful, huge, poos after 24 hours of no poos. He also ate a bit of dandelion. I am trying not to get my hopes up because he has a long way to go before he is back to normal. Nonetheless, it is comforting to know the protocol is beginning to work.

Thank you all for the positive vibes for Dash. He has passed a lot of material since the first poo sighting. I stopped at the supermarket and got him more dandelion greens and I also got some flat parsley. I know he is much improved because he is coming to me and begging every time he sees me. He already ate almost an entire bunch of dandelion greens (about a pound of greens for a bunny who weighs one and a half pounds) and a few sprigs of the parsley.

Thank you all for the positive vibes for Dash. He has passed a lot of material since the first poo sighting. I stopped at the supermarket and got him more dandelion greens and I also got some flat parsley. I know he is much improved because he is coming to me and begging every time he sees me. He already ate almost an entire bunch of dandelion greens (about a pound of greens for a bunny who weighs one and a half pounds) and a few sprigs of the parsley.

I'm glad to hear Dash is doing better today. :)
I am so jealous...your supermarket has dandelion greens? I miss being able to give the ones from my backyard to the bunnies. Even though we're still fairly rural here, there is nothing like that in the stores. :(

I'm glad to hear Dash is doing better today. :)
I am so jealous...your supermarket has dandelion greens? I miss being able to give the ones from my backyard to the bunnies. Even though we're still fairly rural here, there is nothing like that in the stores. :(

Yeah, I was lucky my supermarket had a few bunches of dandelions in the organic department. They do not always restock them before I need them again, so usually am stingy with my other four bunnies when I am down to the last bunch until I can replenish my stock. I have been known drive to different locations and different markets looking for carrots with tops and dandelion greens.
Perhaps the store will let me preorder several bunches each week, provided they can get them from their supplier.
They rarely are out of swiss chard at the store, so it may be a good idea if I can add some of that to the bunny's diet too.

Glad to hear this :D

We can't buy dandelion greens at our supermarket, so my buns are very jealous of you!

Glad to hear this :D

We can't buy dandelion greens at our supermarket, so my buns are very jealous of you!

Then we better not tell them these are ORGANIC dandelion greens! In all truth my supermarket just started to carry more varieties of greens, although the selection can be a bit sparse at times.

Then we better not tell them these are ORGANIC dandelion greens! In all truth my supermarket just started to carry more varieties of greens, although the selection can be a bit sparse at times.

Ssshhh I won't mention anything! I gathered loads of dandelion greens today, none sprayed, and someone asked me whether I was picking my own dinner :D

Dash was doing well for so many weeks that I was ready to call to reschedule his previously cancelled neuter. He must have heard me because yesterday evening I noticed he drank quite a bit less water than his usual amount (he normally drinks a lot) and when I held him his tummy was feeling bloated. He had eaten some dandelions while my spouse watched him as I cleaned his litter box and enclosure (he puts more poo and pee outside the litterbox than inside it) but soon lost interest in them (this is not in character for my boy). He seemed dehydrated so I gave him sub Q fluids, Medicam, and a dose of Cisapride. An hour later I saw he ate the rest of his dandelions and he passed a lot of huge, wet, oblong poos. He has a condition that causes his poos to always be oblong and larger than expected, but these were very wet and there was a small amount of mucus too. He also ate most of his fresh hay (rest I tossed due to his peeing/pooing on everything) and I gave him more greens and fresh hay which I put in his hay rack.

This morning he got more dandelion greens prior to my going to an appointment. He also got some more Medicam because his tummy was softer, but more distended and he was not dashing around as usual.
When I got home he had eaten all of his dandelions so he got more dandelions and more hay (most was gone again). I just cleaned his litter box and area again and then gave him another dose of Cisapride and more fluids.

Last time he had a problem with his cecum so I a hoping the medications, fluids, and his getting so many greens will help him to move the material along. My vet is not working today so I made an appointment for Saturday morning.

Please send Dash some positive vibes that he will be able to pass the material in his cecum so he can be more comfortable. His littermate Evan and I are so worried about my 1.6 lb Dash.

Thank you Nickybunny1 and Omi for the vibes.
Dash looks a lot more bloated and uncomfortable than he did overnight. However, he is still eating every dandelion green I give him so I am hoping that the additional bloating is from his cecal material becoming hydrated and that the new greens and hay he is eating will help to push things along. He is pooing, even though it has some mucus which I suspect is from his cecum. I know he recovered twice before and this time I believe I caught it sooner; yet I am stressed to see him uncomfortable.

My nephew came over to help me with yard work. Regularly going outside to check on the nephew helped to reduce my stress level about Dash momentarily.

Even though I have not used baby gas drops for years, I picked some up and may try them with Dash later even though I am not sure if he has any trapped gas in his cecum or just a lot of material.
Of course Dash did come to me and beg when I was giving his brother a few rabbit pellets which I only give as a treat. I gave in and let Dash have a couple too.

I am hoping and praying that Dash will become less bloated this evening so I can rest a bit easier.

I know it's difficult seeing your baby in discomfort, I had a bun with bloat one time also so I totally understand the worry and stress. Dash sounds like he is very bright still and interested in his food and pooping and that's always a good sign. Not long til vets now.

Thank you Nickybunny1 and Omi for the vibes.
Dash looks a lot more bloated and uncomfortable than he did overnight. However, he is still eating every dandelion green I give him so I am hoping that the additional bloating is from his cecal material becoming hydrated and that the new greens and hay he is eating will help to push things along. He is pooing, even though it has some mucus which I suspect is from his cecum. I know he recovered twice before and this time I believe I caught it sooner; yet I am stressed to see him uncomfortable.

My nephew came over to help me with yard work. Regularly going outside to check on the nephew helped to reduce my stress level about Dash momentarily.

Even though I have not used baby gas drops for years, I picked some up and may try them with Dash later even though I am not sure if he has any trapped gas in his cecum or just a lot of material.
Of course Dash did come to me and beg when I was giving his brother a few rabbit pellets which I only give as a treat. I gave in and let Dash have a couple too.

I am hoping and praying that Dash will become less bloated this evening so I can rest a bit easier.

Sending loads of vibes for your beautiful Dash xx

I know it's difficult seeing your baby in discomfort, I had a bun with bloat one time also so I totally understand the worry and stress. Dash sounds like he is very bright still and interested in his food and pooping and that's always a good sign. Not long til vets now.

I know you are right; yet it sounds so much more encouraging when the words come from you. My own mind will try to convince myself that Dash is different because he has a chronic problem that becomes acute for no obvious reason. He improved a lot in the past 24 hours. Even though he was less bloated than yesterday, the vet mentioned that his Cecum still contains more material than it should even though he feels less firm than yesterday. He weighs 10% more than normal due to his having so much extra material in his cecum which are now absorbing fluids I am administering.
From past experience I know Dash is difficult to syringe feed, so I am glad he is eating lots of dandelions and hay on his own.
He will continue to get fluids, motility drug, pain meds as needed, and as many dandelions as he desires.
I am glad the Medicam I gave 12 hours ago is still keeping him comfortable and more Dash like.

Dash ate more than half his body weight in dandelions over the past 24 hours, along with a mound of hay that is twice his size. I briefly imagined how many pounds of greens and hay it would take for me to consume half my body weight and it was unbelievable.

Sending loads of vibes for your beautiful Dash xx

I appreciate the vibes. I have not used baby gas drops in fifteen years and know you are a proponent of using them. If I wanted to try them for Dash if he gets more bloated again I would like to know how to dose them.. I saw the prior posts, but was unable to locate how many mg to give per kg of body weight. The infant gas drops I picked up at the store say 20mg on the front of the box, but on the side of the box it says each 0.3ml contains 20mg of simethicone. So it is not 20mg in l.0 cc, but in 0.3cc. I can do the math, but I need to know if you ever came across anything on how many mg to give per kg rather than giving a dropper full to start. Dash weighs about 0.7kg.

Last edited:
Back