• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ask for positive vibes for Dash-U/D 04/22/2018

Thank you.
Yesterday, I caught him midair when he jumped out of his temporary enclosure. He wants to be with his brother and Evan wants to be with dash too. However, Evan is chasing and humping Dash when I put them together so I may need to provide supervised visits until shortly after Evan gets neutered in a couple weeks.
I don't want to subject Dash to too much stress after being so close to losing him.
Keeping him separate also allows me to better monitor his eating, drinking, and peeing (Dash's poo are oval and large so even when they are together I can identify Dash's poos).

Do you mean you *actually* caught him - or saw him jump out? He's obviously a good jumper (and glad he's feeling better). I agree, though, the less stress the better for now ...

Thank you.
Yesterday, I caught him midair when he jumped out of his temporary enclosure. He wants to be with his brother and Evan wants to be with dash too. However, Evan is chasing and humping Dash when I put them together so I may need to provide supervised visits until shortly after Evan gets neutered in a couple weeks.
I don't want to subject Dash to too much stress after being so close to losing him.
Keeping him separate also allows me to better monitor his eating, drinking, and peeing (Dash's poo are oval and large so even when they are together I can identify Dash's poos).

I hope that Dash will get on OK, I know how worried you are about him xx

Do you mean you *actually* caught him - or saw him jump out? He's obviously a good jumper (and glad he's feeling better). I agree, though, the less stress the better for now ...

I am far from athletic, but I actually caught him. His temporary enclosure is located off the floor. If I had not caught him he would have fallen about three feet (one meter)to the ground and that is far for a dwarf rabbit who weighs less than a pound and a half.

Last edited:
I hope that Dash will get on OK, I know how worried you are about him xx

Today he went to the vets for a follow up. He was 1.56 lbs two weeks ago when I had him there for a check and today he was 1.32 lbs. Today he does not feel as thin as he did right after his stasis episode a few days ago and he was pretty empty when he was at the vets. The vet gave me the mission of collecting a fresh clean urine sample. When I got home I cleaned the pet carrier before putting Dash and his water bottle in the carrier. Dash decided he did not want to share his urine so instead he kept making wet oval poos and I kept cleaning them out of the carrier. He had some moist areas, but nothing I could collect until several hours passed. Then I had to take it to the vets while it was still fresh to be analyzed.

I am far from athletic, but I actually caught him. His temporary enclosure is located off the floor. If I had not caught him he would have fallen about three feet (one meter)to the ground and that is far for a dwarf rabbit who weighs less than a pound and a half.

Well done you to have the presence of mind to catch him :)

And also great patience waiting for him to provide you with a suitable urine sample.

What was the result of the urinalysis, or do you have a wait a while?

Oh yeah...the dreaded fresh catch. :roll: I hate the idea of having my bunny taken into the back room to have ultrasound and a needle draw for this, but with my two untouchables I have to wonder which is less stressful? :(

It's out of my price range these days, but in the past that's how they've handled all the urine samples for my rabbits and other pets. It really is hard on my Yorkie though, she hates the vet's on a good day, never mind if I think she has a UTI.

I find my boys gain and lose and gain again...I think a few ounces isn't considered a big deal, but the worry is always there. :( Hope he begins to return to his better weight. :)

Wow, catching bun in midair...that's superhero stuff! :shock: Mimzy once jumped out of his hutch (when I first had him my OH built one for him, thank God I did some research afterwards) and fell about three and a half to four feet to the wood floor of his shed. At the time I thought he may have been female and pregnant so I was horrified thinking it would've caused a miscarriage or hemorrhage, not to mention broken bones. That he survived the fall at all was a miracle. :shock:

They think they can fly. One of the delights of having bunnies that puts grey hairs on your head. :roll:

Today he went to the vets for a follow up. He was 1.56 lbs two weeks ago when I had him there for a check and today he was 1.32 lbs. Today he does not feel as thin as he did right after his stasis episode a few days ago and he was pretty empty when he was at the vets. The vet gave me the mission of collecting a fresh clean urine sample. When I got home I cleaned the pet carrier before putting Dash and his water bottle in the carrier. Dash decided he did not want to share his urine so instead he kept making wet oval poos and I kept cleaning them out of the carrier. He had some moist areas, but nothing I could collect until several hours passed. Then I had to take it to the vets while it was still fresh to be analyzed.

I am not surprised that he has dropped some weight after being so poorly. Hopefully the urinalysis results will be OK. Whilst we know his abnormal shaped oval poo may never fully resolve they will hopefully become firmer. In a way, for now, if the oval fecals are very large it is better that they are softer to avoid another impaction.

Have you started him on the Cisipride yet ?

Sending lots more vibes for him xx

Well done you to have the presence of mind to catch him :)

And also great patience waiting for him to provide you with a suitable urine sample.

What was the result of the urinalysis, or do you have a wait a while?

Vet just called to tell me urinalysis was normal. It is good news!

Oh yeah...the dreaded fresh catch. :roll: I hate the idea of having my bunny taken into the back room to have ultrasound and a needle draw for this, but with my two untouchables I have to wonder which is less stressful? :(

It's out of my price range these days, but in the past that's how they've handled all the urine samples for my rabbits and other pets. It really is hard on my Yorkie though, she hates the vet's on a good day, never mind if I think she has a UTI.

I find my boys gain and lose and gain again...I think a few ounces isn't considered a big deal, but the worry is always there. :( Hope he begins to return to his better weight. :)

Wow, catching bun in midair...that's superhero stuff! :shock: Mimzy once jumped out of his hutch (when I first had him my OH built one for him, thank God I did some research afterwards) and fell about three and a half to four feet to the wood floor of his shed. At the time I thought he may have been female and pregnant so I was horrified thinking it would've caused a miscarriage or hemorrhage, not to mention broken bones. That he survived the fall at all was a miracle. :shock:

They think they can fly. One of the delights of having bunnies that puts grey hairs on your head. :roll:

You are right that your bunny surviving the fall without injury was a miracle. We do not need broken legs or backs, or head injuries.

My regular vet always has a good grasp on my bunny when he is examined. However, there have been a couple times when an emergency vet or a vet at a different practice did not have a good grip and the bunny got away. One time on emergency my bunny jumped right off the exam table and straight toward me as I grabbed the slightest part of bunny hindquarter to keep him from falling.

I always have the vet tech put the scale on the floor before we weigh my bunnies. Even at home, I will give fluids and meds when I am close to the ground in case the bunny decides he/she had enough and tries to run off, something I had happen a couple times when I was thankfully on the floor.

I don't even like going to the lab for my own urine test because my having to go and their calling my name from the waiting room are never on the same schedule. Dash had the same issue. He went on the towel in the carrier on the way to the vets so his bladder was empty when the vet examined him.

I am not surprised that he has dropped some weight after being so poorly. Hopefully the urinalysis results will be OK. Whilst we know his abnormal shaped oval poo may never fully resolve they will hopefully become firmer. In a way, for now, if the oval fecals are very large it is better that they are softer to avoid another impaction.

Have you started him on the Cisipride yet ?

Sending lots more vibes for him xx

Hi Jane,

Dash is eating quite a bit and he is making a lot of droppings. I still do not have Cisipride.
We appreciate the vibes. I sent you a PM.

Dash was doing quite well for the past six weeks, until today. He was eating well, gained a little bit of weight, and he even stopped dribbling urine (his urinalysis was normal) so I was shocked to see he stopped eating his hay during the night and he only made three larger droppings and hardly any pee.
I called my vet and was glad he was available. He was concerned he did not pee and told me to give him the Cisipride which I had compounded last month, Medicam, and Fluids, and too let him know if he did not produce any pee. After about three hours, I also added some metacloprimide and increased his Medicam a bit when I saw the initial dose was not enough to control his discomfort.
I was able to get an appointment with the vet for this afternoon when no urine was produced for many hours. He felt so full I was hesitant to give any Critical Care until after he was seen by the vet. The vet said his problem is his Cecum and he advised me to give more sub Q and oral fluids and to try to get him to take Critical Care. On the plus side, the vet said his bladder was normal size so he did not need to address that issue. Dash did pee in the carrier on the trip home so at least that system is OK.
He got more fluids and critical care over and hour ago, so now I am on poop patrol. I am hoping he will pass something soon. He tried to nibble his greens earlier, so I am hoping I caught it sooner than last month. It was also comforting that my vet was available, to encourage me and to examine Dash.

Dash has a chronic issue from birth, and this happened so quickly that I wonder if I missed any signs. Last night I held Dash and so did my spouse and he felt normal, so I wonder how he filled up so quickly.

Please send some vibes for my little man.

Last edited:
Dash was doing quite well for the past six weeks, until today. He was eating well, gained a little bit of weight, and he even stopped dribbling urine (his urinalysis was normal) so I was shocked to see he stopped eating his hay during the night and he only made three larger droppings and hardly any pee.
I called my vet and was glad he was available. He was concerned he did not pee and told me to give him the Cisipride which I had compounded last month, Medicam, and Fluids, and too let him know if he did not produce any pee. After about three hours, I also added some metacloprimide and increased his Medicam a bit when I saw the initial dose was not enough to control his discomfort.
I was able to get an appointment with the vet for this afternoon when no urine was produced for many hours. He felt so full I was hesitant to give any Critical Care until after he was seen by the vet. The vet said his problem is his Cecum and he advised me to give more sub Q and oral fluids and to try to get him to take Critical Care. On the plus side, the vet said his bladder was normal size so he did not need to address that issue. Dash did pee in the carrier on the trip home so at least that system is OK.
He got more fluids and critical care over and hour ago, so now I am on poop patrol. I am hoping he will pass something soon. He tried to nibble his greens earlier, so I am hoping I caught it sooner than last month. It was also comforting that my vet was available, to encourage me and to examine Dash.

Dash has a chronic issue from birth, and this happened so quickly that I wonder if I missed any signs. Last night I held Dash and so did my spouse and he felt normal, so I wonder how he filled up so quickly.

Please send some vibes for my little man.

Oh no I'm so sorry!

Loads of vibes for the little man :love:

Is it cecal impaction?

http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

Thank you, Mighty Max.
Yes, it is cecal impaction.
After his issue last month, the vet agreed to prescribe cisapride which needed to be compounded by the pharmacist. So, I just gave him his second dose of the cisapride. He is urinating a bit, but he is still not pooping or eating on his own. He did come to me when I rattled a bowl with a few pellets to give his brother as a treat, he sniffed a pellet and then just walked away. He momentarily got my hopes up only to dash them again. At least he was able to come to me even if it was only a few steps.

Back