• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ask for positive vibes for Dash-U/D 04/22/2018

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday morning I awoke to find Dash went downhill as I slept. He went from eating, drinking, dashing around with his littermate, Evan, to not pooping, not drinking, hardly eating, and pressing his tummy. Evan was sitting on top of Dash so I had to separate them for the first time.
Dash was born with a condition that impacts his digestion.
His regular vet was not working that day and my back up vet discontinued treating bunnies. In spite of my home care with fluids, Medicam, and metrocloprimide, he was getting worse and even stopped nibbling his dandelion greens in slow motion. When I tried to give critical care I felt huge quantities of matter in his intestines and cecum.

When I called the two emergency vet clinics within an hours drive of my home I learned both discontinued emergency care of bunnies. I was directed to call a veterinarian school/hospital a few hours away. I could not believe there was no emergency care for bunnies in a reasonable distance of my home. I spoke to a student at the school/hospital and explained what I was doing and after speaking to their clinician she called me back to tell me they felt it would be too stressful to take Dash on such a long ride.

As a last resort I tried to give him an enema with fluids and it did not seem to work. I gave him additional Medicam to ease his pain, massaged his tummy, and stayed by his side. He started to move as if he was uncomfortable and I expected the worse. When I went to pick him up I found one monster sized poo (he usually has double/triple oval poos due to his genetic problem, but this one was twice as wide as usual) and a couple regular sized ones. He started to eat a small corner of a dandelion green. I gave him more motility meds and took a short nap.

Dash is still week, but he has passed a lot of poo, and he was eating and begging today. He ate so many dandelion greens in the last few hours that his fur around his mouth looks like he has a bright green mustache and beard. Now I am hoping he will eat his timothy hay as well.

Even though the regular vet is not available today, the vet at the partnership said they would call my pharmacy for a refill on metrocloprimide. I hope the pharmacy has it in stock even though I have enough for today and part of tomorrow.

Please send Dash some positive vibes. Evan, my OH, and I love him so much.

Last edited:
Yesterday morning I awoke to find Dash went downhill as I slept. He went from eating, drinking, dashing around with his littermate, Evan, to not pooping, not drinking, hardly eating, and pressing his tummy. Evan was sitting on top of Dash so I had to separate them for the first time.
Dash was born with a condition that impacts his digestion.
His regular vet was not working that day and my back up vet discontinued treating bunnies. In spite of my home care with fluids, Medicam, and metrocloprimide, he was getting worse and even stopped nibbling his dandelion greens in slow motion. When I tried to give critical care I felt huge quantities of matter in his intestines and cecum.

When I called the two emergency vet clinics within an hours drive of my home I learned both discontinued emergency care of bunnies. I was directed to call a veterinarian school/hospital a few hours away. I could not believe there was no emergency care for bunnies in a reasonable distance of my home. I spoke to a student at the school/hospital and explained what I was doing and after speaking to their clinician she called me back to tell me they felt it would be too stressful to take Dash on such a long ride.

As a last resort I tried to give him an enema with fluids and it did not seem to work. I gave him additional Medicam to ease his pain, massaged his tummy, and stayed by his side. He started to move as if he was uncomfortable and I expected the worse. When I went to pick him up I found one monster sized poo (he usually has double/triple oval poos due to his genetic problem, but this one was twice as wide as usual) and a couple regular sized ones. He started to eat a small corner of a dandelion green. I gave him more motility meds and took a short nap.

Dash is still week, but he has passed a lot of poo, and he was eating and begging today. He ate so many dandelion greens in the last few hours that his fur around his mouth looks like he has a bright green mustache and beard. Now I am hoping he will eat his timothy hay as well.

Even though the regular vet is not available today, the vet at the partnership said they would call my pharmacy for a refill on metrocloprimide. I hope the pharmacy has it in stock even though I have enough for today and part of tomorrow.

Please send Dash some positive vibes. Evan, my OH, and I love him so much.

Oh no T, how awful :(

Positive vibes for Dash and calming hugs for you and Evan x

You must feel so isolated where support is concerned so well done you for all that you are doing for Dash.

He must feel so much better for passing the poops he has and it seems to be showing in his appetite. Fingers crossed he continues to further improve.

I want to thank each of you for your support of me and Dash. The positive vibes are helping us both. I did get a little rest late this afternoon after I medicated Dash and made sure he was stable.

It is hard to believe that24 hours ago I was expecting Dash to be gone before morning and now he is so improved.
He is still weak from his ordeal yet is peeing, drinking, pooing, and begging for more dandelion greens. I am reluctant to give him more greens because he already ate several times his normal amount and I want him to return to his regular amount of hay. I'll continue to give him meds and sub Q fluids until I am sure he is normal. I already cleaned his litter area three times in 24 hours due to quantity of poo and to better monitor his output.

Dash's tummy and hindquarters are substantially smaller than yesterday so I am now hoping there is no permanent damage to his intestines or cecum due to their being so distended yesterday.???
Once he recovers, I will have to decide what I have to do differently in the future to keep this from happening again or to catch it even sooner.

My pharmacy almost did not fill the metrocloprimide script even after the vet spoke directly to a pharmacist. It seem they did not record the strength of the drug when they took the call and it also did not register with them that it was an injectable. I learned this when I called about noon to make sure the script was ready before I left to pick it up. I got a bit sassy why they did not ask this information when the vet was on the phone and before the vet closed for the day. They agreed to fill the same injectable strength they filled in the past.

Even and Dash are looking at each other even though they are separate. I plan on keeping them apart until Dash regains his strength and I don't need to monitor Dash's input/output as closely.

Last edited:
Hope he continues to improve, sound like he's doing somewhat better today. It must be so stressful to be unable to get a vet to see you. Hugs xx

I want to thank each of you for your support of me and Dash. The positive vibes are helping us both. I did get a little rest late this afternoon after I medicated Dash and made sure he was stable.

It is hard to believe that24 hours ago I was expecting Dash to be gone before morning and now he is so improved.
He is still weak from his ordeal yet is peeing, drinking, pooing, and begging for more dandelion greens. I am reluctant to give him more greens because he already ate several times his normal amount and I want him to return to his regular amount of hay. I'll continue to give him meds and sub Q fluids until I am sure he is normal. I already cleaned his litter area three times in 24 hours due to quantity of poo and to better monitor his output.

Dash's tummy and hindquarters are substantially smaller than yesterday so I am now hoping there is no permanent damage to his intestines or cecum due to their being so distended yesterday.???
Once he recovers, I will have to decide what I have to do differently in the future to keep this from happening again or to catch it even sooner.

My pharmacy almost did not fill the metrocloprimide script even after the vet spoke directly to a pharmacist. It seem they did not record the strength of the drug when they took the call and it also did not register with them that it was an injectable. I learned this when I called about noon to make sure the script was ready before I left to pick it up. I got a bit sassy why they did not ask this information when the vet was on the phone and before the vet closed for the day. They agreed to fill the same injectable strength they filled in the past.

Even and Dash are looking at each other even though they are separate. I plan on keeping them apart until Dash regains his strength and I don't need to monitor Dash's input/output as closely.

Hopefully his recovery will continue. Re future meds, if you can find a Vet who will prescribe Cisipride this may be more beneficial to Dash than just Metoclopramide (which only works on the upper GI tract) given that his GI tract issues are hind gut related

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/GI_stimulation/cisapride.htm

Thank you for posting and I'm sending further vibes for Dash. I was so encouraged to read this and I hope his recovery continues xx

Your troubles with finding a vet OOH sounds much like what I had to deal with in Alaska. My vet that works all week is great, but they have no night call and the ER vet there is rubbish. Medications often have to be compounded by the local pharmacy there.
Even here in the 48 no vet works all week. There is no emergency number to call or doctor who will see you after closing. I have to travel about the same distance to the next town to get seen at all on weekends and Sundays are closed.

I empathize so much with you on how ill Dash was and how delightfully surprising his turnaround has been. You are an awesome bunny parent to pull him through this on your own as you have done. You could help take care of my two bunnies anytime! :thumb:
Mega vibes on the way for Dash to make a complete and swift recovery and I hope you can find out what the triggers are for setting off his gut problems. I've found that a few of my bunnies can't eat certain things or it practically stops their digestion. We avoid these things and they do well. I know with a bunny who has a defect though it can be very tough to find a perfect fit for them. I hope a solution presents itself for you soon. :) xxxx

I'm very glad to hear that Dash is improving. Fingers crossed that he's soon back to his old self very, very soon.

Back