• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weeing when lying down. Is something wrong?

Topping up the Vibes for gorgeous doughnut!!

Really hope Mark can help tomorrow and she continues eating & remain happy in herself in the meantime xxx

Thanks everyone. Last night she settled down and this morning she run over to see me. Gave her ranitidine cisapride and metaclop and went back to bed as supposed to be resting my knee as had an injection in it last night. Two hours later I come downstairs and she's struggling and hardly eaten. Under the table hunched up and looking in pain. Gave her metacam and picked some grass for her. Half an hour later she's got better and now three hours later she's back to normal. At a loss how to keep her well. I'm not supposed to be driving today but I can't leave her like this. Appointment is at 4.30 so think she'll still be full of beans.
It upsets me to think I may go to work and two hours later she's so ill . The change is so drastic and she's had all the medicine

Last edited:
Just seeing this. No advice but wanted to send lots of vibes for you and poor Doughnut. I hope all will be well. xxxx

Just seeing this. No advice but wanted to send lots of vibes for you and poor Doughnut. I hope all will be well. xxxx

Thank you. I'll update the post later. She's asleep on her fleece at the moment, will no doubt be fun getting her in the carrier.

Mark thinks she may have a UTI starting so I've got sulfatrim. She's also to have her four other medicines for a week and I go back to him next Tuesday. He will give her the second RHD2 vaccine then if she is well enough. I did say I had changed her hay, she now has the timothyhay.co.uk in a bale with another hay and I wondered if that had upset her digestion. He said it may have done but to carry on with it and see what happens this week. I'm not to give her any grass or anything fresh just her muesli and hay as normal.

Mark thinks she may have a UTI starting so I've got sulfatrim. She's also to have her four other medicines for a week and I go back to him next Tuesday. He will give her the second RHD2 vaccine then if she is well enough. I did say I had changed her hay, she now has the timothyhay.co.uk in a bale with another hay and I wondered if that had upset her digestion. He said it may have done but to carry on with it and see what happens this week. I'm not to give her any grass or anything fresh just her muesli and hay as normal.

I hope that things will improve for her over the next few days xx

I hope she begins to recover well :)

She'll have to wait until she's better to sample the delights of the garden :)

I know. Trouble is she loves fresh stuff that's why grass is a treat for her since she doesn't have anything fresh and as we know they go off pellets when unwell and hay doesn't tempt her. Never mind get there in the end hopefully. I feel sad that I can't ever give her stuff she loved so much like veg and herbs and fenugeek crunchies.

I know. Trouble is she loves fresh stuff that's why grass is a treat for her since she doesn't have anything fresh and as we know they go off pellets when unwell and hay doesn't tempt her. Never mind get there in the end hopefully. I feel sad that I can't ever give her stuff she loved so much like veg and herbs and fenugeek crunchies.

I have never ever seen a fenugreek crunchie :lol:

I have found though, that forage is particularly good for sorting out digestive issues. Could you try some rose leaves instead of fresh grass, or is that off the menu too at the moment?

I did wonder whether the grass had contributed to the messiness .. also, the new grass is springing up, and it's very rich. I am feeding the new stuff with the old grotty grass till they get used to it.

You will get there in the end :D

I agree pretty much with what MM said in response to this. The first grasses of the season do tend to send bunnies' tummies into a tailspin. I'm sure it's probably the same with the wildies, so how they sort themselves out might be key to helping Doughnut.
What about branches and barks and things like that? Or even something like strawberry leaves which are supposed to be good for ileus/dysbiosis? Raspberry/brambles perhaps? Can she have/does she like any of these?

I just saw your post about hay change.... Timothy hay used to bother Pip, never the boys though. She would have bladder sludge from it. Couldn't understand it, but I used to get orchard grass for her instead and she did fine with it. It was a mystery to both myself and the vet who treated her.

More vibes for the lovely Doughnut :love: xxxx

I've only given her a bit of grass to encourage her to eat but I've cut that out now. She's always had timothy hay from Wilko and the hay with the rose petals in it and been fine on it but I ordered some other timothy hay which is a lot fresher and greener and nice and stalky. I've now cut this out. I don't think she is allowed anything fresh at all.

This morning she was really unwell. No throat rubbing but just lying on her fleece not moving, she certainly had tummy ache. Wouldn't take her medicine so had to load up two syringes full with the 5 medicines then try and catch her. Little monkey she keeps going under the table and I go one side and she goes the other then I go round the other and she bounces back to the other side again! She's so hard to catch and did quite a bit of running so I felt she's not at her worst. Got all the medicines in and an hour later she's eating her muesli and had a little bit of hay. I've had to work from home again as couldn't leave her but luckily they know I'm having treatment for my knee and it needs resting so has worked out well. I wouldn't go to work not know if the medicine has kicked in and she's eaten anything. I'm going to see what happens and if she's fine by Friday add some of the hay back in to see if she goes downhill again so I know whether to just go back to the same stuff as before and give the 10kg to an animal rescue.

I've only given her a bit of grass to encourage her to eat but I've cut that out now. She's always had timothy hay from Wilko and the hay with the rose petals in it and been fine on it but I ordered some other timothy hay which is a lot fresher and greener and nice and stalky. I've now cut this out. I don't think she is allowed anything fresh at all.

This morning she was really unwell. No throat rubbing but just lying on her fleece not moving, she certainly had tummy ache. Wouldn't take her medicine so had to load up two syringes full with the 5 medicines then try and catch her. Little monkey she keeps going under the table and I go one side and she goes the other then I go round the other and she bounces back to the other side again! She's so hard to catch and did quite a bit of running so I felt she's not at her worst. Got all the medicines in and an hour later she's eating her muesli and had a little bit of hay. I've had to work from home again as couldn't leave her but luckily they know I'm having treatment for my knee and it needs resting so has worked out well. I wouldn't go to work not know if the medicine has kicked in and she's eaten anything. I'm going to see what happens and if she's fine by Friday add some of the hay back in to see if she goes downhill again so I know whether to just go back to the same stuff as before and give the 10kg to an animal rescue.

I do hope that she will improve more throughout the day. Thank goodness you are able to work from home so that you can keep a close eye on her x

Aww sorry you've had to cut out all the fresh stuff. I hope it won't be for long. Shame there's no roses in bloom - mine love the rose petals even when dried.

Sorry you've had to work from home and that she's been so poorly :(

Vibes for her to get better and for you to be able to relax a bit x

Shame there's no roses in bloom - mine love the rose petals even when dried.
We've got one out, it's been dormant in semi-bud since mid Jan but popped last week and is pretty much in full flower now. Ours never fully finish! Petals are pretty rich though :S

Best wishes for Doughnut!

Well she was alright last night and this morning. I'm getting up earlier just to dispense all of her medicine :). I'll add in the hay on Saturday morning I think since I can monitor her for a couple of days. I gave her a bit extra muesli yesterday since she's lost a bit of weight.

Back