Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you have your Doe spayed? The discussion continues .. 26 May 2017

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    And this in itself is an excellent reason to spay, regardless of the speculations on future health issues caused by spaying
    personally if it's unhealthy for my pet I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't want to set an example using my pets as tools just for the sake of it when it could put their health at risk. e.g. I only spay female dogs because it's healthier for them, I wouldn't necessarily neuter male dogs unless I had reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    That is an interesting argument. But I would have thought if the risk of osteoporosis was that much higher in neutered, that neutering wouldn't be advised as much.
    I guess the risk is increased when they are neutered too young... I guess it'd be a case of looking at hormone patterns depending on age, and neutering at the most suitable age for the species.
    Rather than neutering at an age deemed best for bonding, human relationships etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with you about spaying young. That I think is a bad idea unless really indicated for health reasons.

And also, yes, you would think we would be hearing of a lot more rabbits with osteoporosis .. But it's not something I hear a lot about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    We're all good here
    Well the house has now completely sold, the new people move in tomorrow, so its just the process of money going to the new home, they reckon by the end of May we'll have brought the new house, so we can move in in June!!
    Excited but also nervous for the bunnies lol
    Hope you're well

Thank you, we are doing good

All systems go then! Bunnies will probably be excited? I hope so - new place.
    Are you looking forward to it, or will you be wrenched from friends etc?

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    personally if it's unhealthy for my pet I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't want to set an example using my pets as tools just for the sake of it when it could put their health at risk. e.g. I only spay female dogs because it's healthier for them, I wouldn't necessarily neuter male dogs unless I had reason to.

William, I wasn't referring to jeopardising the health of a pet by neutering. It was concerning the *future* unproven possibility of osteoporosis that we were discussing. I wouldn't NOT neuter because of something I personally haven't encountered or heard a vet warn me of at the point of spaying.

Hope that makes sense!

So the discussion is continuing!

This according to Frances Harcourt Brown:

"Martin Whitehead has replied. I am accused of 'eminence-based medicine', which I am not sure whether to take as a compliment or an insult. He goes on to make analogies with human reproductive problems and argues that neutering could cause problems. He concludes his letter by acknowledging that many charities and welfare organisations have spent considerable time, effort and money educating owners that neutering female rabbits is beneficial, but he says that they have done so on the basis of opinion and anecdote rather than evidence. He says he would need to be sure that the recommendation does not result in more harm than good and that he is far from sure of that at present."

There's food for thought here?

Personally I'm glad I got mine spayed . Of the 4 only one had problems after surgery but that was due to her other health issues at the time. She still recovered fully. Mine have all calmed down after spaying and seem more chilled. I've had 2 previous rabbits however that weren't spayed that lived to 8 and 9 years. However we're very 'wild' and frisky due to this. I do suspect that one died from uterine cancer due to symptoms but I had a bad vet at the time who clearly gave me no knowledge to help them. Sometimes it's just genetics but I still prefer spaying in my experience.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I find it a joke that he is comparing the human reproductive system to a rabbits.
    Just makes him seem more like a Douche to me.

There would need to be a mass study across the UK to both disprove him, and prove what plenty of rabbits owners and savvy rabbit vets consider a must in the welfare requirements of a rabbit.

I guess he wants proof that out of 5,000 rabbits, none developed uterine cancer due to being spayed and show what % developed osteoarthritis/osteoporosis and at what age.
    Then compare those results to another 5,000 unspayed rabbits.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by daphnephoebe; 27-05-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    So the discussion is continuing!

This according to Frances Harcourt Brown:

"Martin Whitehead has replied. I am accused of 'eminence-based medicine', which I am not sure whether to take as a compliment or an insult. He goes on to make analogies with human reproductive problems and argues that neutering could cause problems. He concludes his letter by acknowledging that many charities and welfare organisations have spent considerable time, effort and money educating owners that neutering female rabbits is beneficial, but he says that they have done so on the basis of opinion and anecdote rather than evidence. He says he would need to be sure that the recommendation does not result in more harm than good and that he is far from sure of that at present."

There's food for thought here?

it is a well known fact of the risks that come with not neutering, and its incredibly clear on the health benefits. take dogs for instance, most of the female dogs I know that have not been neutered have been a royal pain in the butt. I've also known them all to eventually die due to uterine issues. so out of a small handful of 10 female dogs I have known, they have all died due to their uterus. some had cancers, others had infections. all of them died between the age of 5-11. they could have lived longer, but instead had to be PTS.

just in dogs there are so many health benefits from neutering, and it removes the heats you have to deal with, possible pregnancies than can arise. sometimes dog heats don't come as expected and then you end up with accidental pregnancies. heats are also a pain to deal with, the blood, crying etc. let alone the fact that they're so controlled by hormones they half the time don't listen to you. male dogs are just as bad if you walk them, they're too busy sniffing to care for the command you ask.

that is just in dogs, never mind rabbits which end up with similar conditions. heats do not happen no - but accidental pregnancies can with mating through bars, they're grumpy, territorial. I could go on.

so I strongly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by lucy-24 View Post
    Personally I'm glad I got mine spayed . Of the 4 only one had problems after surgery but that was due to her other health issues at the time. She still recovered fully. Mine have all calmed down after spaying and seem more chilled. I've had 2 previous rabbits however that weren't spayed that lived to 8 and 9 years. However we're very 'wild' and frisky due to this. I do suspect that one died from uterine cancer due to symptoms but I had a bad vet at the time who clearly gave me no knowledge to help them. Sometimes it's just genetics but I still prefer spaying in my experience.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hi Lucy and welcome to the Forum

Thank you for responding, and I agree with you

Interesting stuff...

So is there evidence presented around any of this osteoporosis (in rabbits, not women) link, or is that anecdotal too?
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Harry hamster
    Misty and Pearl guinea pigs