Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 110

Thread: Would you have your Doe spayed? The discussion continues .. 26 May 2017

  1. #21
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Isle of Wight. UK
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    I would definitely still get does spayed. I have seen, firsthand unspayed does, who have had mammary tumours. That is awful and spreads like mad, throughout the body. Our late Mabel, given to us by a neighbour had mammary tumours, which turned black. She was 5 when given to us. The vet did a mammary strip. This worked for a while, but eventually the lumps came back. Vet said, had she been spayed when younger she would have been ok and not got the cancer that she had. Poor old girl. This was a good 18 years ago.

  2. #22
    Wise Old Thumper SarahP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    30,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    If it's any help in 4 years we only spayed one female piggie. That was just because she had mammary tumours and we were aiming to help prevent them coming back quite so soon.

    GA in piggies is much harder to do. They over produce saliva when under GA so you must swab out the mouth every 5 mins.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Yes, I've only ever had one piggy spayed, and she was never really the same again after. I know not all vets are in total agreement on this, but I think most see guinea pig (major) surgery as something that should only be done where necessary.
    Sarah.

    RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Harry hamster

  3. #23
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    I would always advise spaying, I wouldn't follow the findings of one vets small sample of findings!

  4. #24
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Barnsley, south yorkshire
    Posts
    24,557

    Default

    Spay every single time ... Don't have to even think about it

    Out of almost 1,000 castrates and spays we have had done I would say we have lost less than 10 bunnies under Ga or soon after op . And these turned out to have underlying issues .


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #25
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymadhouse View Post
    Spay every single time ... Don't have to even think about it

    Out of almost 1,000 castrates and spays we have had done I would say we have lost less than 10 bunnies under Ga or soon after op . And these turned out to have underlying issues .


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    I wonder how many people (if any?) this 'new' evidence will affect?

  6. #26
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Barnsley, south yorkshire
    Posts
    24,557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I wonder how many people (if any?) this 'new' evidence will affect?
    I don't think many will even be aware of it but sadly it may influence some ... Which is very sad .

    Spaying isn't just about preventing uterine cancer either .
    We had had a few with cancer .. My truffle for one that we adopted from barc . ..probably had about 10 or 15 .. Not a lot I know .. But we have had far more with angry , swollen uterous which were likely early stage cancer . Also had quite a few with pyrometra and hydrometra .... Which are just as bad .


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymadhouse View Post
    I don't think many will even be aware of it but sadly it may influence some ... Which is very sad .

    Spaying isn't just about preventing uterine cancer either .
    We had had a few with cancer .. My truffle for one that we adopted from barc . ..probably had about 10 or 15 .. Not a lot I know .. But we have had far more with angry , swollen uterous which were likely early stage cancer . Also had quite a few with pyrometra and hydrometra .... Which are just as bad .


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am in touch with several vets, and I can vouch for the fact that they will continue spaying does as they always have. Even though vets make a loss on the operation!

    The behavioural/hormonal aspect of spaying has to be addressed too, and is very important when wanting to keep rabbits as pets - in the house, around children, etc ...

  8. #28
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Barnsley, south yorkshire
    Posts
    24,557

    Default

    Yes definatly


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    7,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    Yes, I've only ever had one piggy spayed, and she was never really the same again after. I know not all vets are in total agreement on this, but I think most see guinea pig (major) surgery as something that should only be done where necessary.
    Most vets I've met completely avoided ops on piggies because they are difficult to keep steady under GA. Rabbits are a doddle compared to guinea pigs.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    27,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    Most vets I've met completely avoided ops on piggies because they are difficult to keep steady under GA. Rabbits are a doddle compared to guinea pigs.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

    Not sure what you mean - surely the GA would make them immobile?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •