Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you have your Doe spayed? The discussion continues .. 26 May 2017

I just wanted to point out when somebody mentioned about teeth, when Snoopy had his i spoke with my vet, and she said over the years more and more rabbits have had dental issues. and that's because of humans creating these "show standards" that create a more "cute" bunny. for this reason heads are built smaller and rounder all the time, and then back teeth do not line up, or grind correctly. this means that spurs happen more often as they're not grinded correctly. and i believe that elongated roots are also more common in dwarf bunnies due to the smaller and rounder heads, so less space for everything.

for this reason, lion heads, lops and dwarf breeds are much more prone to dentals due to their cute round head.

its quite sad, once again man has made a healthy animal unhealthy. i really do disagree with it.
    show standard shepherds with their sloping backs, causing hip dysplasia and general uncomfort.
    persian cats with their difficulty of breathing.
    pugs with their difficulty breathing.
    bulldogs who are unable to give birth, as the head is so big and will not fit down the birthing canal. they always have to have c-sections.

it just bugs me how we have a healthy dog and give it so many issues to make it "cute"

sorry - went off on a minor rant there lol.

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Thanks for posting MM

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I also wouldn't accept a risk of 1 in 20 to discourage me from neutering any doe that I had.

Yes I agree with you. Benefits far outweigh any risks in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by binkyCodie View Post
    I just wanted to point out when somebody mentioned about teeth, when Snoopy had his i spoke with my vet, and she said over the years more and more rabbits have had dental issues. and that's because of humans creating these "show standards" that create a more "cute" bunny. for this reason heads are built smaller and rounder all the time, and then back teeth do not line up, or grind correctly. this means that spurs happen more often as they're not grinded correctly. and i believe that elongated roots are also more common in dwarf bunnies due to the smaller and rounder heads, so less space for everything.

for this reason, lion heads, lops and dwarf breeds are much more prone to dentals due to their cute round head.

its quite sad, once again man has made a healthy animal unhealthy. i really do disagree with it.
    show standard shepherds with their sloping backs, causing hip dysplasia and general uncomfort.
    persian cats with their difficulty of breathing.
    pugs with their difficulty breathing.
    bulldogs who are unable to give birth, as the head is so big and will not fit down the birthing canal. they always have to have c-sections.

it just bugs me how we have a healthy dog and give it so many issues to make it "cute"

sorry - went off on a minor rant there lol.

Hi binkyCodie

I think you can create a thread with this - it's very sad that humans have to 'tamper' with things so much. If they were breeding out the stuff that made life painful for animals that would be different, but so much is for appearance and blow the animal's suffering!

Richard Saunders (of RWAF) has written a response in the same journal concerning the neutering of pet rabbits.

I can't quote it here for copyright reasons, but it makes for interesting reading

Warren Scout

Hi, I've always had mine neutered and have not yet lost one during GA.
    My neighbour lost her female under GA and didn't get her next rabbits done. Surprise surprise, her doe, living with her brother, has now had 2 litters, the second 4 weeks after the first. The first baby (only one survived ) a male, at 12 weeks is still in with the mother. She rung me to ask when should she separate them as the son was starting to mate his mother. NOW I said. This is why neutering should be encouraged. Aside from the cancer issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CometLucy195 View Post
    Hi, I've always had mine neutered and have not yet lost one during GA.
    My neighbour lost her female under GA and didn't get her next rabbits done. Surprise surprise, her doe, living with her brother, has now had 2 litters, the second 4 weeks after the first. The first baby (only one survived ) a male, at 12 weeks is still in with the mother. She rung me to ask when should she separate them as the son was starting to mate his mother. NOW I said. This is why neutering should be encouraged. Aside from the cancer issue.

Nothing short of a terrible vet would prevent me having my female rabbits spayed!

I really hope this kind of discussion doesn't put people off getting them done.

What's your neighbour going to do with all the rabbits??

It's just not a very extensive piece of research though - a survey pool of just 60 rabbits isn't irrefutable proof, and we don't know how thorough his investigations were either.

I think you would need to speak to other vets and accumulate data for at least 1000 rabbits, who have had extensive post-mortems....

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Nothing short of a terrible vet would prevent me having my female rabbits spayed!

I really hope this kind of discussion doesn't put people off getting them done.

What's your neighbour going to do with all the rabbits??
    A terrible vet would just make me find a better one for the next one.

Rabbit care (in the eyes of the general public) is often backwards enough as is, without vets telling owners to not spay.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:
    Rabbits: Elphie & Morningstar, Helios & Selene, Athena, Erasmus & Rivergrace, Persephone & Morpheus, Arce, Yuki, & Niji
    Cats: Brannigan, Nyssa, Zara, & Ajali
    Tortoise: Aurora
    Guinea Pigs: Delta & Epsilon (Epsie)
    Gone, but not forgotten: Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi, Apollo, Iris

T. L. Cowell - Author & Freelance Writer
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.