• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking about getting more rescue rabbits

Trufflesmum

Young Bun
Our two rabbits Truffles and Piccollo are a lovely couple since we bonded them last Summer. There are so many rabbits needing homes, I am now contemplating getting another pair. We have room on the patio for another shed/hutch to house them but I was wondering whether having another pair of rabbits in close proximity (I'm not intending on bonding the two pairs together) would upset my existing rabbits. Presumably they would be able to smell the other pair? I'm sure there are a lot of multiple rabbit owners out there. Has anybody experienced disruption of bonding? Thank you for your help.

I once had a pair of rabbits and then got another pair from a rescue, their hutches were fairly close together and they could see the other pair from their runs. Their bonds were ok. In fact eventually I did bond the two pairs together and they shared a shed and aviary run.

I do know other members on here have had problems with referred aggression, sometimes it can be rectified by not having them near each other, so they can't smell or see each other, sometimes a physical barrier so they can't see each other would be enough.

I had, until December, two pairs of rabbits living in my garden - both in hutch and walk in run combos and within sight/smell of each other and I never noticed any issues/aggression at all. They shared the garden for free ranging too, taking it in turns.
Sadly I lost Rosie in December and Betty earlier this month so I tried bonding my remaining two, Dennis and Bella, and it was love at first sight, I'm sure the fact they are so familiar with each other helped loads. Good luck.

It's lovely that you want to offer more rabbits a home :)

Last summer we had a trio in a hutch / run and a pair using a large run in close proximity (things have changed around since) and fortunately had no issues. I guess it's something that you won't know till you try, but maybe have a back up plan just in case x

I second a recommendation on a backup plan.
I'd I even smell of another rabbit my dominant female becomes aggressive with her current partner so I have no chance of having a second pair of buns :(

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Never had any probs with referred aggression. I had four pairs next to each other. I eventually bonded some of them into a quad. All went really well.

Good luck if you do get more. I now have just the four and it is great only having one set up to care for.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll think carefully about the set up. We've now got Nala, who was an unwanted bun. She's been living inside and only three months old, so she won't be going outside for quite a while yet. I'll have time to plan.

Back