• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sorry another bonding post

CharlieBee123

Young Bun
Hi guys so my tribe is ever expanding 🙈

I had 2 poorly rabbits at Christmas and sadly one of my boys passed away 🐰

I had planned to do some bonding but all the illness put it off now everyone is fit again and we have some new bunny friends too. I want to look at bonding again. I know the basics (very basics) but I'm unsure of whether I can introduce them a few times a week for periods of time or if I have to stickit out and do 24/48 hours together? I've read different things and feel I've confused myself now *sigh*
The boy I am bonding is going to be neutered next week then fingers crossed I can bond him with one of my French lops who are already spayed.

Any tips on time frames or how often they need to see each other to bond I would be grateful ☺

Thanks

Are you bonding a new male with an existing female? If so, slower might be better. I think females are more territorial, so a longer time to get used to new smells is best.

I went the slow way with mine, but if first introductions go well, I don't see why you wouldn't just leave them together a little longer.

Yes she's been here for a while and I think she's really appreciate a friend - most of the bonding videos or info I've read are either put them together and watch them for days or they don't explain how often they need to see each other if that makes sense like could I put them together 3 times a week for an hour or do they need more or less? Or just wing it and see how they react to each other. They'll both eventually be moving into his hutch

☺☺

Have you got somewhere your female has not been before, as this would be a good area in which to introduce the 2. Most of us agree it is best to keep them together rather than separating them after a short date. Are they outside or in? If they are outside you can put them back in their own hutches for the first night in case they have a fall out. It usually takes up to 3 days before they feel more relaxed with each other. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

That's great. Thank you. What i was thinking is to introduce them in the house somewhere and see how it goes then after that where? They are outside in a shed and their hutches are opposite so they face each other. Should I do a date in the house see how it goes then take them in the garden/hutch ?

Thanks xx

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Have you got a cool room/area where they could get to know one another for a few days. Your female might be territorial over the shed/garden until she has bonded with him. It's difficult bringing them inside at this time of the year as regards the difference in temperature.

Bathrooms are good, as long as you put something down to help them hop on the lino ok.

Also just thinking you can turn the radiator down and open widows to cool down the room...

Yea I'm thinking the bathroom for it. Another quick question... Can you put one neutered rabbit with one whose not? And if so which combination would work better?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

An unneutered buck would very likely pester the female so the other way around is the best combination. They really both need to be neutered for a harmonious and happy relationship. :thumb:

Back