• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tips for giving medication

Sarahbun

Mama Doe
Over the weekend one of my rabbits lost his appetite and his poo output reduced. So I took him to the vets and they kept him (and his bonded partner in). They gave him MELOXAID pain relief, EMEPRID gut motility and ZANTAC anti acid. His output is better and he is eating on his own, so this evening they have discharged him.

However I now need to continue the drugs regime for the next 5 days. I've never done this before, he doesn't like being handled (although tolerates nose/ head rubs). If you have any tips that can help me reduce any stress for my bun when I'm administering the meds I'd be very grateful.

I've looked at You Tube and also tried to find previous posts and have learnt
1. to prepare the syringes in advance so I'm ready to administer
2. some buns will take meds on weetabix/ shredded wheat

If anyone has any tips please post :D

Thanks

I draw meds up, the draw up some Ellas Kitchen baby food and they willingly take it from the syringe. (If eating by themselves). Makes life a lot easier.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I do the bunny burrito technique, not always very successfully! I usually get most of it in though I think. It's not easy on your own, do you have a helper?

Thank you. I have a helper tonight but he goes away with work tomorrow. We managed to get 2 out of the 3 meds but that took 45 minutes, I got a bit tearful as I was concerned that bun was getting too stressed. So we took him to the vets and they did it in less than 2 minutes.

He's now home grooming fastidiously around his chin (I'm assuming to get any spilled meds off).

I tried bunny burrito on my own but didn't manage at all. That's a good idea about Ella's food. I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks again x

You could also try a bit on shreddies or in banana - any of their favourite foods really but usually the stronger tasting ones to hide it.

Also maybe a bit of dry toast.

I do tend to try to get it in with a syringe but will try any which way if they won't take it. I have 1 bun I have to give a tablet to once a week and I dissolve it in .4ml of water, draw it into a syringe and she will take it like that thankfully. She refuses if I try to hide in banana or anything else. It is a case of trying but it is hard if you have 3 meds - could you space them out a bit.

Good luck

Thanks everyone, I've bought some shredded wheat, bananas and ellas kitchen baby food which I'll try with the meds tonight. For some reason my pair have never been interested in bananas but have always loved hay, so I'm trying to encourage them to eat the banana. They weren't interested at first when I put some out earlier, but when I went back an hour later somebody had eaten the pieces that I'd left out.

I had to resort to popping into the vet this morning though and getting the vet nurse's help. They managed to syringe the meds in but then he refused to swallow, I guess the meds must taste horrible. I spoke with the vet and asked if there was an option of injection for a longer lasting pain relief and she said that there was, so if things don't get well tonight I think that might be an option.

On the plus side he's getting better, but feistier too! Last night I tried placing a drop of one of the meds on the top of his paw in the hope he might lick it. Instead he flicked his paw and shook the drop off which promptly got me in the face (it was the Zantac so not an issue and my heartburn's gone now, lol).

That is also an option we use if we have to too, get anything we can in injection form if you are confident to administer it.

Glad he sounds a lot better though.

Hi Sarahbun,

I've been searching for someone else who has had Meloxaid prescribed for their bun!!

Our male was neutered last Wednesday and couldn't leave his wounds alone. The vets prescribed him Meloxaid for pain relief.

Did you have any problems with this drug?? It's for cats which worried me for starters and now he's bouncing off the walls and is *REALLY* excited to have more of it when the syringe is near him. He hates all the other meds he's been put on but seems kind of... addicted(??) to this one!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Hi Sarahbun,

I've been searching for someone else who has had Meloxaid prescribed for their bun!!

Our male was neutered last Wednesday and couldn't leave his wounds alone. The vets prescribed him Meloxaid for pain relief.

Did you have any problems with this drug?? It's for cats which worried me for starters and now he's bouncing off the walls and is *REALLY* excited to have more of it when the syringe is near him. He hates all the other meds he's been put on but seems kind of... addicted(??) to this one!

They love it because it's really sweet!
Commonly used in rabbits, don't worry :)

It's for cats which worried me for starters and now he's bouncing off the walls and is *REALLY* excited to have more of it when the syringe is near him. He hates all the other meds he's been put on but seems kind of... addicted(??) to this one!

Perfectly normal, don't worry! There aren't any painkillers which are licensed for use in rabbits (in fact there aren't many drugs of any type licensed for rabbits) so it's completely normal to prescribe drugs which are licenced for other species - usually cats or dogs...but occasionally sheep, poultry, and a variety of other weird and wonderful things. Meloxicam, the active ingredient in meloxaid, is very, very commonly prescribed for rabbits and would be the normal first-line painkiller given to a rabbit in much the same way that you might reach for a nurofen or paracetamol :) To try and make them palatable for cats, they are often sweetened, which is why bunnies will often lick them from the syringe. Some cat drugs are made to taste meaty though, and obviously these taste much more horrid to a rabbit and are harder to give, such as the antibiotic baytril.

Personally if you're struggling to give the drugs, I'd aim for the bunny burrito technique, poke the syringe in between the cheeks and the front teeth and squirt. If you've got less than half a ml to give, I'd just squirt it all in one go and then wait for bunny to give up on holding it in his mouth and swallow it. It's really hard especially to start off with, and especially if they decide they really don't like it. I would only mix it with other things as a last resort because it relies on them behaving themselves and eating it all up to get the required dose...but a bit of trial and error and whatever works for you is probably best. Good luck and hope he bounces back soon x

I agree with Meloxicam being very palatable to rabbits. My doe has this every evening for Arthritis and her bonded partner licks the remains out of her mouth after I've syringed it in :shock: It's really amusing to watch, as she allows his tongue to go right in her mouth :)

Hi Sarahbun,

According to the data sheet it has a 'honey odour' :)

All mine have been suspicious to begin with, and then can't get enough of it :lol:

Nice to have you on the Forum :wave:

How is your little one doing now?

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. Glad to know it's not harming him in any way.

He's getting better but very, very slowly. The vet isn't seeing as much progress as she would like but it's heading in the right direction at least. Still very swollen and it's going to be a while before we get to introduce the female rabbit we adopted as company for him.

I find it easiest to sit on the sofa with bun beside me so he can't reverse and a hand firmly over his shoulders to stop him running forwards

Back