Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for giving medication

Quote Originally Posted by ElComley View Post
    Hi Sarahbun,

I've been searching for someone else who has had Meloxaid prescribed for their bun!!

Our male was neutered last Wednesday and couldn't leave his wounds alone. The vets prescribed him Meloxaid for pain relief.

Did you have any problems with this drug?? It's for cats which worried me for starters and now he's bouncing off the walls and is *REALLY* excited to have more of it when the syringe is near him. He hates all the other meds he's been put on but seems kind of... addicted(??) to this one!

Thanks for any advice you can give!
    They love it because it's really sweet!
    Commonly used in rabbits, don't worry
    I'm fundraising for Rabbit Rescue North West

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/rrnw

It's for cats which worried me for starters and now he's bouncing off the walls and is *REALLY* excited to have more of it when the syringe is near him. He hates all the other meds he's been put on but seems kind of... addicted(??) to this one!
    Perfectly normal, don't worry! There aren't any painkillers which are licensed for use in rabbits (in fact there aren't many drugs of any type licensed for rabbits) so it's completely normal to prescribe drugs which are licenced for other species - usually cats or dogs...but occasionally sheep, poultry, and a variety of other weird and wonderful things. Meloxicam, the active ingredient in meloxaid, is very, very commonly prescribed for rabbits and would be the normal first-line painkiller given to a rabbit in much the same way that you might reach for a nurofen or paracetamol To try and make them palatable for cats, they are often sweetened, which is why bunnies will often lick them from the syringe. Some cat drugs are made to taste meaty though, and obviously these taste much more horrid to a rabbit and are harder to give, such as the antibiotic baytril.

Personally if you're struggling to give the drugs, I'd aim for the bunny burrito technique, poke the syringe in between the cheeks and the front teeth and squirt. If you've got less than half a ml to give, I'd just squirt it all in one go and then wait for bunny to give up on holding it in his mouth and swallow it. It's really hard especially to start off with, and especially if they decide they really don't like it. I would only mix it with other things as a last resort because it relies on them behaving themselves and eating it all up to get the required dose...but a bit of trial and error and whatever works for you is probably best. Good luck and hope he bounces back soon x
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

Warren Veteran

I agree with Meloxicam being very palatable to rabbits. My doe has this every evening for Arthritis and her bonded partner licks the remains out of her mouth after I've syringed it in It's really amusing to watch, as she allows his tongue to go right in her mouth

Hi Sarahbun,

I've been searching for someone else who has had Meloxaid prescribed for their bun!!

Our male was neutered last Wednesday and couldn't leave his wounds alone. The vets prescribed him Meloxaid for pain relief.

Did you have any problems with this drug?? It's for cats which worried me for starters and now he's bouncing off the walls and is *REALLY* excited to have more of it when the syringe is near him. He hates all the other meds he's been put on but seems kind of... addicted(??) to this one!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

According to the data sheet it has a 'honey odour'

All mine have been suspicious to begin with, and then can't get enough of it

Nice to have you on the Forum

How is your little one doing now?

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies and advice. Glad to know it's not harming him in any way.

He's getting better but very, very slowly. The vet isn't seeing as much progress as she would like but it's heading in the right direction at least. Still very swollen and it's going to be a while before we get to introduce the female rabbit we adopted as company for him.

Warren Scout

I find it easiest to sit on the sofa with bun beside me so he can't reverse and a hand firmly over his shoulders to stop him running forwards