Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for giving medication

Default Tips for giving medication

Over the weekend one of my rabbits lost his appetite and his poo output reduced. So I took him to the vets and they kept him (and his bonded partner in). They gave him MELOXAID pain relief, EMEPRID gut motility and ZANTAC anti acid. His output is better and he is eating on his own, so this evening they have discharged him.

However I now need to continue the drugs regime for the next 5 days. I've never done this before, he doesn't like being handled (although tolerates nose/ head rubs). If you have any tips that can help me reduce any stress for my bun when I'm administering the meds I'd be very grateful.

I've looked at You Tube and also tried to find previous posts and have learnt
    1. to prepare the syringes in advance so I'm ready to administer
    2. some buns will take meds on weetabix/ shredded wheat

If anyone has any tips please post

Thanks

I draw meds up, the draw up some Ellas Kitchen baby food and they willingly take it from the syringe. (If eating by themselves). Makes life a lot easier.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I do the bunny burrito technique, not always very successfully! I usually get most of it in though I think. It's not easy on your own, do you have a helper?

Thank you. I have a helper tonight but he goes away with work tomorrow. We managed to get 2 out of the 3 meds but that took 45 minutes, I got a bit tearful as I was concerned that bun was getting too stressed. So we took him to the vets and they did it in less than 2 minutes.

He's now home grooming fastidiously around his chin (I'm assuming to get any spilled meds off).

I tried bunny burrito on my own but didn't manage at all. That's a good idea about Ella's food. I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks again x

I take my tricky buns into an unfamiliar room and use this technique.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=qfROVhKTMxI
    My buns are much trickier and squirmy than this but it still works well

Wise Old Thumper

You could also try a bit on shreddies or in banana - any of their favourite foods really but usually the stronger tasting ones to hide it.

Also maybe a bit of dry toast.

I do tend to try to get it in with a syringe but will try any which way if they won't take it. I have 1 bun I have to give a tablet to once a week and I dissolve it in .4ml of water, draw it into a syringe and she will take it like that thankfully. She refuses if I try to hide in banana or anything else. It is a case of trying but it is hard if you have 3 meds - could you space them out a bit.

Good luck
    Homer and Katy "Mum, is that pineapple you have in there?"

I've pledged a 1 to rescues, will you too? Pledge here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=218589
    Here's how the "Pledge 1" has helped:http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=234642

Thanks everyone, I've bought some shredded wheat, bananas and ellas kitchen baby food which I'll try with the meds tonight. For some reason my pair have never been interested in bananas but have always loved hay, so I'm trying to encourage them to eat the banana. They weren't interested at first when I put some out earlier, but when I went back an hour later somebody had eaten the pieces that I'd left out.

I had to resort to popping into the vet this morning though and getting the vet nurse's help. They managed to syringe the meds in but then he refused to swallow, I guess the meds must taste horrible. I spoke with the vet and asked if there was an option of injection for a longer lasting pain relief and she said that there was, so if things don't get well tonight I think that might be an option.

On the plus side he's getting better, but feistier too! Last night I tried placing a drop of one of the meds on the top of his paw in the hope he might lick it. Instead he flicked his paw and shook the drop off which promptly got me in the face (it was the Zantac so not an issue and my heartburn's gone now, lol).

Quote Originally Posted by roxyroller88 View Post
    I take my tricky buns into an unfamiliar room and use this technique.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=qfROVhKTMxI
    My buns are much trickier and squirmy than this but it still works well
    Thanks, this looks like what I need. He's a wriggler and hates being picked up so this may suit him better.

Wise Old Thumper

That is also an option we use if we have to too, get anything we can in injection form if you are confident to administer it.

Glad he sounds a lot better though.
    Homer and Katy "Mum, is that pineapple you have in there?"

I've pledged a 1 to rescues, will you too? Pledge here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=218589
    Here's how the "Pledge 1" has helped:http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=234642

Hi Sarahbun,

I've been searching for someone else who has had Meloxaid prescribed for their bun!!

Our male was neutered last Wednesday and couldn't leave his wounds alone. The vets prescribed him Meloxaid for pain relief.

Did you have any problems with this drug?? It's for cats which worried me for starters and now he's bouncing off the walls and is *REALLY* excited to have more of it when the syringe is near him. He hates all the other meds he's been put on but seems kind of... addicted(??) to this one!

Thanks for any advice you can give!