Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Angry inflamed hocks again!

  1. #21
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    124,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gemmaloveslugs View Post
    Hi

    My bunny is also suffering with sore hocks, we purchased a carpet that was the thickest pile available in the uk thinking that would be fine for our buns feet but unfortunately we were wrong and her hocks became very red and bare, so i wouldn't recommend changing your carpet thinking that will help.

    I have tried many flooring types in her pen but nothing has helped, she now runs around on a 15 tog duvet and has a thick bed of hay in her pen. Is your ben easily handled? you could try bandaging the hocks for extra padding.

    Unfortunately it seems like sore hocks takes a very long time to mend, my buns had hers for a few months now, having vet checks every three weeks.
    With bandaging it is important to apply it correctly to provide an anti-pressure dressing. Rather like a corn plaster, so-to-speak. Then care needs to be taken that the bandage is not applied too tightly, this would impair blood circulation to the limb and reduce wound healing.

    Sore hocks are effectively pressure sores. So any dressing needs to prevent the effected area from direct contact with the ground. Also, as has been previously mentioned, it is important that the primary cause of the sore hocks is identified and treated too


    “Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
    ~ Judy Garland

  2. #22

    Default

    Hi - one of my bunnies suffered terribly from sore hocks and after several years of myself and the vet trying different things( even my making little bootees to protect his feet!) I eventually found a regime that seemed to clear it up - bathing with hibiscrub solution, drying thoroughly, applying manuka cream and using vetbed in his living area. hope you are able to find a solution for Gandalf.

  3. #23
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmag View Post
    Hi - one of my bunnies suffered terribly from sore hocks and after several years of myself and the vet trying different things( even my making little bootees to protect his feet!) I eventually found a regime that seemed to clear it up - bathing with hibiscrub solution, drying thoroughly, applying manuka cream and using vetbed in his living area. hope you are able to find a solution for Gandalf.
    Thank you for posting mrsmag It's always good to know what works for sore hocks.

    Welcome to the Forum

  4. #24
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    124,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmag View Post
    Hi - one of my bunnies suffered terribly from sore hocks and after several years of myself and the vet trying different things( even my making little bootees to protect his feet!) I eventually found a regime that seemed to clear it up - bathing with hibiscrub solution, drying thoroughly, applying manuka cream and using vetbed in his living area. hope you are able to find a solution for Gandalf.
    Hello

    Did your Rabbit also have an anti-inflammatory analgesic such as Metacam ? I assume the hibiscrub was very dilute as it stings like hell when applied to broken skin. I am glad that you found a regime to help your Rabbit


    “Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
    ~ Judy Garland

  5. #25
    Young Bun PaulJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Hey again,

    So Gandalf went and saw Gill again and it seems we may have been giving him a few too many pellets as her words were,

    'He's a bit round" and then "oh but sooo soft" so reduction in pellets is happening and from what I've read it's always better to have less weight on those sore hocks!

    Gill also said that his hocks are particularly pointy which also isn't going to help the poor little ******. He got bandaged up again, 2 hours later both were off and he is going back tomorrow for another checkup as Gill has come across this herbal spray which she used on a dog that was having chronic pressure pad sores from being disabled for years but when treated with this herbal spray called SCP by Derbymed its all cleared up so Gandalf will be trialing this tomorrow!

    With regards to how his hocks got bad in the first place.......it's either, the carpet,or loo we initially were only clearing it out once a week as he was primarily weeing all over the vetbed which could also have been a cause? We also used cat pine fresh litter pellets which in hindsight were quite rough.

    Now we have changed to back to nature litter with a smattering of hay over the top and spot cleaned daily with a weekly full clean, 2 vet beds covered with a cotton sheet and then the living room is 90% covered with vet beds and cotton sheets.

    We have done the same for his future wife on the landing but her feet seem to have much more fur on them than he's do.

    Thanks for all your ideas! It all really helps. Oh and in terms of handling him to wash his feet, I think I'd have more chance having a lion let me wash his feet.

  6. #26
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJD View Post
    Hey again,

    So Gandalf went and saw Gill again and it seems we may have been giving him a few too many pellets as her words were,

    'He's a bit round" and then "oh but sooo soft" so reduction in pellets is happening and from what I've read it's always better to have less weight on those sore hocks!

    Gill also said that his hocks are particularly pointy which also isn't going to help the poor little ******. He got bandaged up again, 2 hours later both were off and he is going back tomorrow for another checkup as Gill has come across this herbal spray which she used on a dog that was having chronic pressure pad sores from being disabled for years but when treated with this herbal spray called SCP by Derbymed its all cleared up so Gandalf will be trialing this tomorrow!

    With regards to how his hocks got bad in the first place.......it's either, the carpet,or loo we initially were only clearing it out once a week as he was primarily weeing all over the vetbed which could also have been a cause? We also used cat pine fresh litter pellets which in hindsight were quite rough.

    Now we have changed to back to nature litter with a smattering of hay over the top and spot cleaned daily with a weekly full clean, 2 vet beds covered with a cotton sheet and then the living room is 90% covered with vet beds and cotton sheets.

    We have done the same for his future wife on the landing but her feet seem to have much more fur on them than he's do.

    Thanks for all your ideas! It all really helps. Oh and in terms of handling him to wash his feet, I think I'd have more chance having a lion let me wash his feet.


    Hi Paul

    Thanks for the update on Gandalf. I had to laugh at Gill's comment though

    I think you are certainly doing everything you can for his hocks, and more besides. I will be interested to know whether the SCP spray works. I have used something very similar (but a cream) minus the tea tree oil and it works very well and *fast*.

    Good luck

  7. #27
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    124,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJD View Post
    Hey again,

    So Gandalf went and saw Gill again and it seems we may have been giving him a few too many pellets as her words were,

    'He's a bit round" and then "oh but sooo soft" so reduction in pellets is happening and from what I've read it's always better to have less weight on those sore hocks!

    Gill also said that his hocks are particularly pointy which also isn't going to help the poor little ******. He got bandaged up again, 2 hours later both were off and he is going back tomorrow for another checkup as Gill has come across this herbal spray which she used on a dog that was having chronic pressure pad sores from being disabled for years but when treated with this herbal spray called SCP by Derbymed its all cleared up so Gandalf will be trialing this tomorrow!

    With regards to how his hocks got bad in the first place.......it's either, the carpet,or loo we initially were only clearing it out once a week as he was primarily weeing all over the vetbed which could also have been a cause? We also used cat pine fresh litter pellets which in hindsight were quite rough.

    Now we have changed to back to nature litter with a smattering of hay over the top and spot cleaned daily with a weekly full clean, 2 vet beds covered with a cotton sheet and then the living room is 90% covered with vet beds and cotton sheets.

    We have done the same for his future wife on the landing but her feet seem to have much more fur on them than he's do.

    Thanks for all your ideas! It all really helps. Oh and in terms of handling him to wash his feet, I think I'd have more chance having a lion let me wash his feet.
    Hopefully Gandolf's hocks will gradually improve, you are doing all you can to try to insure that they do. As for him being 'a bit round', well he's a Rex and Rexes are very greedy !! They cant help it, it's genetic


    “Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
    ~ Judy Garland

  8. #28
    Young Bun PaulJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Thanks for all the positivity! we're really trying our best! our little doe was spayed yesterday so dealing first time with a groggy bun although today she has perked up a lot! Gandalf is 1.9kg and should be 1.6kg so gill said so we have a bit to shed lol!

  9. #29
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    124,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJD View Post
    Thanks for all the positivity! we're really trying our best! our little doe was spayed yesterday so dealing first time with a groggy bun although today she has perked up a lot! Gandalf is 1.9kg and should be 1.6kg so gill said so we have a bit to shed lol!
    I hope your Girlie heals up quickly. Good luck with the weight watchers Gandolf !!


    “Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
    ~ Judy Garland

  10. #30
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJD View Post
    Thanks for all the positivity! we're really trying our best! our little doe was spayed yesterday so dealing first time with a groggy bun although today she has perked up a lot! Gandalf is 1.9kg and should be 1.6kg so gill said so we have a bit to shed lol!

    You're welcome

    Good luck for your little doe, and also with Gandalf's weight loss

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •