Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Angry inflamed hocks again!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJD View Post
    After doing some research for cream we opted for this one max,

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Healx-Avi...nfo/HEALXSOPL/

Nails are being cut again Tuesday as I thought they were getting a little long, nothing drastic but mindful of them putting extra pressure on the hock. Praying we can keep it under control!
    That looks good, and has some very good write ups! I can't see the ingredients, but if it's working, that's a help.

Flamazine, as far as I know, is a prescription only med. It's main use is for burns.

Warren Scout

I really feel for you Elizabeth and I think I'll get some flamazine seeing as you and jacks Jane seem to think it may work! The other issue is bandages stay on for a couple of hours max with Gandalf! It's a real pain in the rear. Gill did some really nice bandages for him when he was being neutered and looked like they would last the course.......both off in a record 1 hour

Is flamazine purely a prescribed cream/ointment?

Thanks again guys, it's cheering us all up knowing we're not alone!
    We have experimented with bandages and dressings for months. The key for Rupert, and I suspect most rabbits, is that it is comfortable. If he doesn't like it it's off in seconds! At the moment he had a piece of melonin over the wound held in place with micropore tape, then soft balm bandage then gauze then vet wrap. Leaving the end of the toes free seems to be important though that does then give him an edge to chew on. It needs to go round the ankle joint or it will slip off. At the inner edge of the ankle we slit the bandage half way through so it doesn't bunch up when he bends his foot. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethH View Post
    We have experimented with bandages and dressings for months. The key for Rupert, and I suspect most rabbits, is that it is comfortable. If he doesn't like it it's off in seconds! At the moment he had a piece of melonin over the wound held in place with micropore tape, then soft balm bandage then gauze then vet wrap. Leaving the end of the toes free seems to be important though that does then give him an edge to chew on. It needs to go round the ankle joint or it will slip off. At the inner edge of the ankle we slit the bandage half way through so it doesn't bunch up when he bends his foot. Hope this helps.
    Hi Elizabeth,

Maybe he does need it done a different way! At home we never have a chance to grab him to even remotely put any sort of bandage on! If only bunnies could talk! Your post has definately given more ideas though thanks!

Hi Elizabeth,

Maybe he does need it done a different way! At home we never have a chance to grab him to even remotely put any sort of bandage on! If only bunnies could talk! Your post has definately given more ideas though thanks!
    When my frenchie had sore hocks, I made cotton socks to keep the cream on and boots for him to hop outside (which he loved doing). I appreciate however, that not everyone is into making their rabbits that sort of thing

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    When my frenchie had sore hocks, I made cotton socks to keep the cream on and boots for him to hop outside (which he loved doing). I appreciate however, that not everyone is into making their rabbits that sort of thing

Don't suppose you have any photos of the boot or a design? I've made lots of different ones but Rupert has not been impressed and got very one off in 2 seconds to 2 hours!!

Don't suppose you have any photos of the boot or a design? I've made lots of different ones but Rupert has not been impressed and got very one off in 2 seconds to 2 hours!!
    I have the boots and the socks - I measured the hock and then elasticated the tops of the boots and socks. How did you try and keep Rupert's on? I guess velcro would be an option?

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I have the boots and the socks - I measured the hock and then elasticated the tops of the boots and socks. How did you try and keep Rupert's on? I guess velcro would be an option?
    Yes I used Velcro. I thought about elastic but was worried about how I would stretch it to get the the boot on without disturbing the bandaging

Yes I used Velcro. I thought about elastic but was worried about how I would stretch it to get the the boot on without disturbing the bandaging

It was so odd making socks and boots for a rabbit. The hock is so long and the ankle so thin!

Hi all,

So even with laying out vetbeds all over the living room Gandalf's hocks are looking decidedly angry again, inflamed and very red but no broken skin yet, we've started putting some soother plus topical cream on them but that's only been since Friday.

We are now thinking of replacing our living room carpet (only a year old) with a deep pile carpet to help. Is the carpet the main cause here do you think? Or is the fact he sits in his loo, not for ages though but is the urine getting to him... I know him being a Mini Rex he is a lot more susceptible but we just want to help as much as possible.

We don't care what it costs we just want him to be as healthy as possible! I've now bought Vetbed gold plus and double layered his pen. He is going back to Gill at windlesham vet on Tuesday as we are feeling really deflated and feel so responsible and especially now as we have his lady friend here we would hate to make more mistakes.

Always grateful for every reply!
    Hi

My bunny is also suffering with sore hocks, we purchased a carpet that was the thickest pile available in the uk thinking that would be fine for our buns feet but unfortunately we were wrong and her hocks became very red and bare, so i wouldn't recommend changing your carpet thinking that will help.

I have tried many flooring types in her pen but nothing has helped, she now runs around on a 15 tog duvet and has a thick bed of hay in her pen. Is your ben easily handled? you could try bandaging the hocks for extra padding.

Unfortunately it seems like sore hocks takes a very long time to mend, my buns had hers for a few months now, having vet checks every three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by gemmaloveslugs View Post
    Hi

My bunny is also suffering with sore hocks, we purchased a carpet that was the thickest pile available in the uk thinking that would be fine for our buns feet but unfortunately we were wrong and her hocks became very red and bare, so i wouldn't recommend changing your carpet thinking that will help.

I have tried many flooring types in her pen but nothing has helped, she now runs around on a 15 tog duvet and has a thick bed of hay in her pen. Is your ben easily handled? you could try bandaging the hocks for extra padding.

Unfortunately it seems like sore hocks takes a very long time to mend, my buns had hers for a few months now, having vet checks every three weeks.
    Do you find that helps her at all, Gemma?