• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Angry inflamed hocks again!

Hi

My bunny is also suffering with sore hocks, we purchased a carpet that was the thickest pile available in the uk thinking that would be fine for our buns feet but unfortunately we were wrong and her hocks became very red and bare, so i wouldn't recommend changing your carpet thinking that will help.

I have tried many flooring types in her pen but nothing has helped, she now runs around on a 15 tog duvet and has a thick bed of hay in her pen. Is your ben easily handled? you could try bandaging the hocks for extra padding.

Unfortunately it seems like sore hocks takes a very long time to mend, my buns had hers for a few months now, having vet checks every three weeks.

With bandaging it is important to apply it correctly to provide an anti-pressure dressing. Rather like a corn plaster, so-to-speak. Then care needs to be taken that the bandage is not applied too tightly, this would impair blood circulation to the limb and reduce wound healing.

Sore hocks are effectively pressure sores. So any dressing needs to prevent the effected area from direct contact with the ground. Also, as has been previously mentioned, it is important that the primary cause of the sore hocks is identified and treated too :)

Hi - one of my bunnies suffered terribly from sore hocks and after several years of myself and the vet trying different things( even my making little bootees to protect his feet!) I eventually found a regime that seemed to clear it up - bathing with hibiscrub solution, drying thoroughly, applying manuka cream and using vetbed in his living area. hope you are able to find a solution for Gandalf.

Hi - one of my bunnies suffered terribly from sore hocks and after several years of myself and the vet trying different things( even my making little bootees to protect his feet!) I eventually found a regime that seemed to clear it up - bathing with hibiscrub solution, drying thoroughly, applying manuka cream and using vetbed in his living area. hope you are able to find a solution for Gandalf.

Thank you for posting mrsmag :) It's always good to know what works for sore hocks.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Hello :)

Did your Rabbit also have an anti-inflammatory analgesic such as Metacam ? I assume the hibiscrub was very dilute as it stings like hell when applied to broken skin. I am glad that you found a regime to help your Rabbit :)

Hey again,

So Gandalf went and saw Gill again and it seems we may have been giving him a few too many pellets as her words were,

'He's a bit round" and then "oh but sooo soft" :lol: so reduction in pellets is happening and from what I've read it's always better to have less weight on those sore hocks!

Gill also said that his hocks are particularly pointy which also isn't going to help the poor little ******. He got bandaged up again, 2 hours later both were off :lol: and he is going back tomorrow for another checkup as Gill has come across this herbal spray which she used on a dog that was having chronic pressure pad sores from being disabled for years but when treated with this herbal spray called SCP by Derbymed its all cleared up so Gandalf will be trialing this tomorrow!

With regards to how his hocks got bad in the first place.......it's either, the carpet,or loo we initially were only clearing it out once a week as he was primarily weeing all over the vetbed which could also have been a cause? We also used cat pine fresh litter pellets which in hindsight were quite rough.

Now we have changed to back to nature litter with a smattering of hay over the top and spot cleaned daily with a weekly full clean, 2 vet beds covered with a cotton sheet and then the living room is 90% covered with vet beds and cotton sheets.

We have done the same for his future wife on the landing but her feet seem to have much more fur on them than he's do.

Thanks for all your ideas! It all really helps. Oh and in terms of handling him to wash his feet, I think I'd have more chance having a lion let me wash his feet. ;)

Hey again,

So Gandalf went and saw Gill again and it seems we may have been giving him a few too many pellets as her words were,

'He's a bit round" and then "oh but sooo soft" :lol: so reduction in pellets is happening and from what I've read it's always better to have less weight on those sore hocks!

Gill also said that his hocks are particularly pointy which also isn't going to help the poor little ******. He got bandaged up again, 2 hours later both were off :lol: and he is going back tomorrow for another checkup as Gill has come across this herbal spray which she used on a dog that was having chronic pressure pad sores from being disabled for years but when treated with this herbal spray called SCP by Derbymed its all cleared up so Gandalf will be trialing this tomorrow!

With regards to how his hocks got bad in the first place.......it's either, the carpet,or loo we initially were only clearing it out once a week as he was primarily weeing all over the vetbed which could also have been a cause? We also used cat pine fresh litter pellets which in hindsight were quite rough.

Now we have changed to back to nature litter with a smattering of hay over the top and spot cleaned daily with a weekly full clean, 2 vet beds covered with a cotton sheet and then the living room is 90% covered with vet beds and cotton sheets.

We have done the same for his future wife on the landing but her feet seem to have much more fur on them than he's do.

Thanks for all your ideas! It all really helps. Oh and in terms of handling him to wash his feet, I think I'd have more chance having a lion let me wash his feet. ;)

Hi Paul

Thanks for the update on Gandalf. I had to laugh at Gill's comment though :lol:

I think you are certainly doing everything you can for his hocks, and more besides. I will be interested to know whether the SCP spray works. I have used something very similar (but a cream) minus the tea tree oil and it works very well and *fast*.

Good luck :)

Hey again,

Hopefully Gandolf's hocks will gradually improve, you are doing all you can to try to insure that they do. As for him being 'a bit round', well he's a Rex and Rexes are very greedy !! They cant help it, it's genetic ;) :lol:

Thanks for all the positivity! we're really trying our best! our little doe was spayed yesterday so dealing first time with a groggy bun although today she has perked up a lot! Gandalf is 1.9kg and should be 1.6kg so gill said so we have a bit to shed lol!

Thanks for all the positivity! we're really trying our best! our little doe was spayed yesterday so dealing first time with a groggy bun although today she has perked up a lot! Gandalf is 1.9kg and should be 1.6kg so gill said so we have a bit to shed lol!

I hope your Girlie heals up quickly. Good luck with the weight watchers Gandolf !!

You're welcome :)

Good luck for your little doe, and also with Gandalf's weight loss :thumb:

Thanks :D Back from the Vets today and Gill is very happy with Arwen our doe and is amazed with Gandalfs hocks! the left is still not perfect but the right one looks incredible considering last week it was red and inflamed but now its all pink and healthy looking with no signs of swelling! A really positive friday for both buns! :D

Thanks :D Back from the Vets today and Gill is very happy with Arwen our doe and is amazed with Gandalfs hocks! the left is still not perfect but the right one looks incredible considering last week it was red and inflamed but now its all pink and healthy looking with no signs of swelling! A really positive friday for both buns! :D

Great news !! :D

This is lovely to hear :D

Good news on both your rabbits from a top vet :thumb:

Is this the SCP spray that's worked wonders?

Good news!

Just a thought, Hector had a sore hock for a short period of time. Fortunately, vet bed sorted him but I also started lining his loo with puppy pads to keep his feet dry given he liked to sit in there :roll:

Good news!

Just a thought, Hector had a sore hock for a short period of time. Fortunately, vet bed sorted him but I also started lining his loo with puppy pads to keep his feet dry given he liked to sit in there :roll:

thats a good shout, may do that as he does have a habit of sitting in there.

Hey, it sounds as though Gandalf and his hocks are doing much better, but I thought I would mention the things that have helped my girls out: they never had full blown hock sore, more bald patches but obviously they could have got much worse.
They are standard rexes, so greedy! Keeping thier weight to thier ideal has certainly helped, but I think two main things had a significant impact:
I changed the litter from wood pellets to back2nature compressed cardboard. They used to sit in the tray in their wee areas and eat, and I think that the pellets were a little rough for them. I also make sure there is a bit of hay coverage where they sit, and their 'eating hay' is layer on the opposite side.
I started trimming thier nails every week- even if only a tiny bit, to try to encourage the quicks to shorten.
I have had no recurrence of bald patches! And they are now great at having thier nails trimmed! I watched an experienced woman on YouTube educational video who has a great technique at trimming in your own.

I hope Gandalfs hocks continue to improve.

Hey, it sounds as though Gandalf and his hocks are doing much better, but I thought I would mention the things that have helped my girls out: they never had full blown hock sore, more bald patches but obviously they could have got much worse.
They are standard rexes, so greedy! Keeping thier weight to thier ideal has certainly helped, but I think two main things had a significant impact:
I changed the litter from wood pellets to back2nature compressed cardboard. They used to sit in the tray in their wee areas and eat, and I think that the pellets were a little rough for them. I also make sure there is a bit of hay coverage where they sit, and their 'eating hay' is layer on the opposite side.
I started trimming thier nails every week- even if only a tiny bit, to try to encourage the quicks to shorten.
I have had no recurrence of bald patches! And they are now great at having thier nails trimmed! I watched an experienced woman on YouTube educational video who has a great technique at trimming in your own.

This is very good advice :thumb:

Most people don't realise that if you trim nails a little, but regularly, then the quick will begin to recede x

See, it's that Rex 'Must have FOOD gene' again !! :lol:

Back