• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Angry inflamed hocks again!

PaulJD

Young Bun
Hi all,

So even with laying out vetbeds all over the living room Gandalf's hocks are looking decidedly angry again, inflamed and very red but no broken skin yet, we've started putting some soother plus topical cream on them but that's only been since Friday.

We are now thinking of replacing our living room carpet (only a year old) with a deep pile carpet to help. Is the carpet the main cause here do you think? Or is the fact he sits in his loo, not for ages though but is the urine getting to him... I know him being a Mini Rex he is a lot more susceptible but we just want to help as much as possible.

We don't care what it costs we just want him to be as healthy as possible! I've now bought Vetbed gold plus and double layered his pen. He is going back to Gill at windlesham vet on Tuesday as we are feeling really deflated and feel so responsible and especially now as we have his lady friend here we would hate to make more mistakes.

Always grateful for every reply!

Hi all,

So even with laying out vetbeds all over the living room Gandalf's hocks are looking decidedly angry again, inflamed and very red but no broken skin yet, we've started putting some soother plus topical cream on them but that's only been since Friday.

We are now thinking of replacing our living room carpet (only a year old) with a deep pile carpet to help. Is the carpet the main cause here do you think? Or is the fact he sits in his loo, not for ages though but is the urine getting to him... I know him being a Mini Rex he is a lot more susceptible but we just want to help as much as possible.

We don't care what it costs we just want him to be as healthy as possible! I've now bought Vetbed gold plus and double layered his pen. He is going back to Gill at windlesham vet on Tuesday as we are feeling really deflated and feel so responsible and especially now as we have his lady friend here we would hate to make more mistakes.

In my experience Rexes just dont do well on any carpet/Vetbed/blankets. If a Rex develops fur loss over the hocks during his/her first year of life then unfortunately it is likely that he/she will always be very prone to them and even less likely to cope on even slightly abrasive surfaces. Covering carpet with cotton sheets can work quite well as the cotton sheet is far less abrasive than any sort of carpet fibres.

Is Gandolf moulting at the moment ? Rex sore hock issues often worsen during a moult.

In my experience Rexes just dont do well on any carpet/Vetbed/blankets. If a Rex develops fur loss over the hocks during his/her first year of life then unfortunately it is likely that he/she will always be very prone to them and even less likely to cope on even slightly abrasive surfaces. Covering carpet with cotton sheets can work quite well as the cotton sheet is far less abrasive than any sort of carpet fibres.

Is Gandolf moulting at the moment ? Rex sore hock issues often worsen during a moult.

I was worried you may say that about vetbeds... yeah Gandalf is moulting :( I've just bought 2 king size 100% cotton sheets to cover over the vet beds praying that helps! We can't help but feel like it's our fault.

We both do feel a bit helpless, he is such a sweet bunny..:(

Thanks so much for the advice though.

Hi all,

Hi Paul

I wouldn't go changing your carpet, unless you decide to make your living into a barn and use hay, as carpet isn't that conducive to healing sore hocks.

What cream have you been applying? Are his nails kept short?

I'm sure you know this stuff already, but just in case there's something new to help:

http://rabbit.org/treating-sore-hocks/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm
(contains some distressing images)

I was worried you may say that about vetbeds... yeah Gandalf is moulting :( I've just bought 2 king size 100% cotton sheets to cover over the vet beds praying that helps! We can't help but feel like it's our fault.

We both do feel a bit helpless, he is such a sweet bunny..:(

Thanks so much for the advice though.

That's OK. I know all too well how distressing it can be trying to deal with Rex Hocks. Gandolf's issues are not your fault and you are doing all you can to try to obtain as much information as possible to try to minimise the condition. I am sure that Gill will have some very useful advice when you see her next week xx

One of our Continental Giants has a severe ongoing sore hocks problem. He always has to have his foot bandaged on the advice of our v Rabbit savy vet and we change the bandage every 1-3 days. Keeping the area dry and free from urine is essential. Over the last few weeks our vet had prescribed Flamazine ointment and that does seem to be helping though he has said that some rabbits seem to react to it. Good luck. I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel it's your fault even though you are doing all you can.

One of our Continental Giants has a severe ongoing sore hocks problem. He always has to have his foot bandaged on the advice of our v Rabbit savy vet and we change the bandage every 1-3 days. Keeping the area dry and free from urine is essential. Over the last few weeks our vet had prescribed Flamazine ointment and that does seem to be helping though he has said that some rabbits seem to react to it. Good luck. I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel it's your fault even though you are doing all you can.

I have found Flamazine to be beneficial too xx

Hi Paul

I wouldn't go changing your carpet, unless you decide to make your living into a barn and use hay, as carpet isn't that conducive to healing sore hocks.

What cream have you been applying? Are his nails kept short?

I'm sure you know this stuff already, but just in case there's something new to help:

http://rabbit.org/treating-sore-hocks/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm
(contains some distressing images)

After doing some research for cream we opted for this one max,

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Healx-Avix-Soother-Plus-Cream-30ml/productinfo/HEALXSOPL/

Nails are being cut again Tuesday as I thought they were getting a little long, nothing drastic but mindful of them putting extra pressure on the hock. Praying we can keep it under control!

I really feel for you Elizabeth and I think I'll get some flamazine seeing as you and jacks Jane seem to think it may work! The other issue is bandages stay on for a couple of hours max with Gandalf! It's a real pain in the rear. Gill did some really nice bandages for him when he was being neutered and looked like they would last the course.......both off in a record 1 hour :?

Is flamazine purely a prescribed cream/ointment?

Thanks again guys, it's cheering us all up knowing we're not alone!

I really feel for you Elizabeth and I think I'll get some flamazine seeing as you and jacks Jane seem to think it may work! The other issue is bandages stay on for a couple of hours max with Gandalf! It's a real pain in the rear. Gill did some really nice bandages for him when he was being neutered and looked like they would last the course.......both off in a record 1 hour :?

Yes, it is used for treating burns, leg ulcers and pressure sores in humans

https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/formula...-used-topically/silver-sulfadiazine/flamazine

After doing some research for cream we opted for this one max,

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Healx-Avix-Soother-Plus-Cream-30ml/productinfo/HEALXSOPL/

Nails are being cut again Tuesday as I thought they were getting a little long, nothing drastic but mindful of them putting extra pressure on the hock. Praying we can keep it under control!

That looks good, and has some very good write ups! I can't see the ingredients, but if it's working, that's a help.

Flamazine, as far as I know, is a prescription only med. It's main use is for burns.

We have experimented with bandages and dressings for months. The key for Rupert, and I suspect most rabbits, is that it is comfortable. If he doesn't like it it's off in seconds! At the moment he had a piece of melonin over the wound held in place with micropore tape, then soft balm bandage then gauze then vet wrap. Leaving the end of the toes free seems to be important though that does then give him an edge to chew on. It needs to go round the ankle joint or it will slip off. At the inner edge of the ankle we slit the bandage half way through so it doesn't bunch up when he bends his foot. Hope this helps.

We have experimented with bandages and dressings for months. The key for Rupert, and I suspect most rabbits, is that it is comfortable. If he doesn't like it it's off in seconds! At the moment he had a piece of melonin over the wound held in place with micropore tape, then soft balm bandage then gauze then vet wrap. Leaving the end of the toes free seems to be important though that does then give him an edge to chew on. It needs to go round the ankle joint or it will slip off. At the inner edge of the ankle we slit the bandage half way through so it doesn't bunch up when he bends his foot. Hope this helps.

Hi Elizabeth,

Maybe he does need it done a different way! At home we never have a chance to grab him to even remotely put any sort of bandage on! If only bunnies could talk! Your post has definately given more ideas though thanks!

Hi Elizabeth,

Maybe he does need it done a different way! At home we never have a chance to grab him to even remotely put any sort of bandage on! If only bunnies could talk! Your post has definately given more ideas though thanks!

When my frenchie had sore hocks, I made cotton socks to keep the cream on and boots for him to hop outside (which he loved doing). I appreciate however, that not everyone is into making their rabbits that sort of thing :)

When my frenchie had sore hocks, I made cotton socks to keep the cream on and boots for him to hop outside (which he loved doing). I appreciate however, that not everyone is into making their rabbits that sort of thing :)

Don't suppose you have any photos of the boot or a design? I've made lots of different ones but Rupert has not been impressed and got very one off in 2 seconds to 2 hours!!

Don't suppose you have any photos of the boot or a design? I've made lots of different ones but Rupert has not been impressed and got very one off in 2 seconds to 2 hours!!

I have the boots and the socks - I measured the hock and then elasticated the tops of the boots and socks. How did you try and keep Rupert's on? I guess velcro would be an option?

I have the boots and the socks - I measured the hock and then elasticated the tops of the boots and socks. How did you try and keep Rupert's on? I guess velcro would be an option?

Yes I used Velcro. I thought about elastic but was worried about how I would stretch it to get the the boot on without disturbing the bandaging

Hi all,

Hi

My bunny is also suffering with sore hocks, we purchased a carpet that was the thickest pile available in the uk thinking that would be fine for our buns feet but unfortunately we were wrong and her hocks became very red and bare, so i wouldn't recommend changing your carpet thinking that will help.

I have tried many flooring types in her pen but nothing has helped, she now runs around on a 15 tog duvet and has a thick bed of hay in her pen. Is your ben easily handled? you could try bandaging the hocks for extra padding.

Unfortunately it seems like sore hocks takes a very long time to mend, my buns had hers for a few months now, having vet checks every three weeks.

Hi

My bunny is also suffering with sore hocks, we purchased a carpet that was the thickest pile available in the uk thinking that would be fine for our buns feet but unfortunately we were wrong and her hocks became very red and bare, so i wouldn't recommend changing your carpet thinking that will help.

I have tried many flooring types in her pen but nothing has helped, she now runs around on a 15 tog duvet and has a thick bed of hay in her pen. Is your ben easily handled? you could try bandaging the hocks for extra padding.

Unfortunately it seems like sore hocks takes a very long time to mend, my buns had hers for a few months now, having vet checks every three weeks.

Do you find that helps her at all, Gemma?

Back