• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Angry inflamed hocks again!

Hey, it sounds as though Gandalf and his hocks are doing much better, but I thought I would mention the things that have helped my girls out: they never had full blown hock sore, more bald patches but obviously they could have got much worse.
They are standard rexes, so greedy! Keeping thier weight to thier ideal has certainly helped, but I think two main things had a significant impact:
I changed the litter from wood pellets to back2nature compressed cardboard. They used to sit in the tray in their wee areas and eat, and I think that the pellets were a little rough for them. I also make sure there is a bit of hay coverage where they sit, and their 'eating hay' is layer on the opposite side.
I started trimming thier nails every week- even if only a tiny bit, to try to encourage the quicks to shorten.
I have had no recurrence of bald patches! And they are now great at having thier nails trimmed! I watched an experienced woman on YouTube educational video who has a great technique at trimming in your own.

I hope Gandalfs hocks continue to improve.

Our problem is that trying to get hold of Gandalf let alone hold him still enough to cut is nails is almost impossible! He hates being held and flies off and warp speed! I do think ''tis something we need to do regularly though! Thanks for the advice everyone!

I admit my girls are fairly amenable, but they don't enjoy being picked up and are gits to catch! I set a towel up on a chest of drawers or something else table height, catch one and pop her on it, side on to me, and ease a front paw, press with the clippers, press again, and if no reaction then I snip (the pressure from the press helps to make sure you're not on the quick, if they react then try again lower down) I turn her around and do the same the other side, for the hind feet I have thier bums to my stomach and hold them up by supporting under front paws, and gently ease a back leg forward so the nails are clear (a tiny bit of water on your fingers to dampen the fur helps) and do the same again. I NEVER thought they would be calm for it, and clipping had always been a two person job, one holding, one snipping; but actually, they seem to be more comfortable with thier paws on something solid and gentle support from thier humans. I was amazed they tolerated it and seemed happy with it! I then gave a good groom, which then seemed to really like!
Maybe give that a go with Gandalf? On a lower surface perhaps in case he wants to jump off. He might prefer the hands off approach too, my girls are great with it now after some practise (and I love that I can do it self sufficiently and cause minimal 'sinning' to them!)
Hope he is doing ok :)

See, it's that Rex 'Must have FOOD gene' again !! :lol:

I wonder why they are so greedy! Much more so compared to my friends nethie dwarf! Do you think it could be linked to the fact they were farmed for fur and meat so were fed lots to increase growth? And it's a throwback to that in our pets?

I wonder why they are so greedy! Much more so compared to my friends nethie dwarf! Do you think it could be linked to the fact they were farmed for fur and meat so were fed lots to increase growth? And it's a throwback to that in our pets?

I dont know !! But they all seem to have it :lol:

I admit my girls are fairly amenable, but they don't enjoy being picked up and are gits to catch! I set a towel up on a chest of drawers or something else table height, catch one and pop her on it, side on to me, and ease a front paw, press with the clippers, press again, and if no reaction then I snip (the pressure from the press helps to make sure you're not on the quick, if they react then try again lower down) I turn her around and do the same the other side, for the hind feet I have thier bums to my stomach and hold them up by supporting under front paws, and gently ease a back leg forward so the nails are clear (a tiny bit of water on your fingers to dampen the fur helps) and do the same again. I NEVER thought they would be calm for it, and clipping had always been a two person job, one holding, one snipping; but actually, they seem to be more comfortable with thier paws on something solid and gentle support from thier humans. I was amazed they tolerated it and seemed happy with it! I then gave a good groom, which then seemed to really like!
Maybe give that a go with Gandalf? On a lower surface perhaps in case he wants to jump off. He might prefer the hands off approach too, my girls are great with it now after some practise (and I love that I can do it self sufficiently and cause minimal 'sinning' to them!)
Hope he is doing ok :)

It seems you've worked out the knack :thumb:

Back