Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Angry inflamed hocks again!

  1. #41
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJD View Post
    it certainly is! ill take a pic of the can and put it up here in case others want to try it out

    I managed to find it on google and will recommend

  2. #42
    Young Bun PaulJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I managed to find it on google and will recommend
    I'm so sorry mightymax! Things have been so hectic here it slipped my mind!

  3. #43
    Young Bun PaulJD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitches View Post
    Hey, it sounds as though Gandalf and his hocks are doing much better, but I thought I would mention the things that have helped my girls out: they never had full blown hock sore, more bald patches but obviously they could have got much worse.
    They are standard rexes, so greedy! Keeping thier weight to thier ideal has certainly helped, but I think two main things had a significant impact:
    I changed the litter from wood pellets to back2nature compressed cardboard. They used to sit in the tray in their wee areas and eat, and I think that the pellets were a little rough for them. I also make sure there is a bit of hay coverage where they sit, and their 'eating hay' is layer on the opposite side.
    I started trimming thier nails every week- even if only a tiny bit, to try to encourage the quicks to shorten.
    I have had no recurrence of bald patches! And they are now great at having thier nails trimmed! I watched an experienced woman on YouTube educational video who has a great technique at trimming in your own.

    I hope Gandalfs hocks continue to improve.

    Our problem is that trying to get hold of Gandalf let alone hold him still enough to cut is nails is almost impossible! He hates being held and flies off and warp speed! I do think ''tis something we need to do regularly though! Thanks for the advice everyone!

  4. #44
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJD View Post
    I'm so sorry mightymax! Things have been so hectic here it slipped my mind!



    I've already recommended it to two people!

  5. #45

    Default

    I admit my girls are fairly amenable, but they don't enjoy being picked up and are gits to catch! I set a towel up on a chest of drawers or something else table height, catch one and pop her on it, side on to me, and ease a front paw, press with the clippers, press again, and if no reaction then I snip (the pressure from the press helps to make sure you're not on the quick, if they react then try again lower down) I turn her around and do the same the other side, for the hind feet I have thier bums to my stomach and hold them up by supporting under front paws, and gently ease a back leg forward so the nails are clear (a tiny bit of water on your fingers to dampen the fur helps) and do the same again. I NEVER thought they would be calm for it, and clipping had always been a two person job, one holding, one snipping; but actually, they seem to be more comfortable with thier paws on something solid and gentle support from thier humans. I was amazed they tolerated it and seemed happy with it! I then gave a good groom, which then seemed to really like!
    Maybe give that a go with Gandalf? On a lower surface perhaps in case he wants to jump off. He might prefer the hands off approach too, my girls are great with it now after some practise (and I love that I can do it self sufficiently and cause minimal 'sinning' to them!)
    Hope he is doing ok

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    See, it's that Rex 'Must have FOOD gene' again !!
    I wonder why they are so greedy! Much more so compared to my friends nethie dwarf! Do you think it could be linked to the fact they were farmed for fur and meat so were fed lots to increase growth? And it's a throwback to that in our pets?

  7. #47
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    125,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitches View Post
    I wonder why they are so greedy! Much more so compared to my friends nethie dwarf! Do you think it could be linked to the fact they were farmed for fur and meat so were fed lots to increase growth? And it's a throwback to that in our pets?


    I dont know !! But they all seem to have it


    Can you offer Rosie and Lucy a Forever Home, they have been waiting for so long ? The girls are beautiful, Rosie has a bit of 'Hare' about her and Lucy has a little mane and tufty bum fluff !.


    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...r-home-(Essex)

  8. #48
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    25,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitches View Post
    I admit my girls are fairly amenable, but they don't enjoy being picked up and are gits to catch! I set a towel up on a chest of drawers or something else table height, catch one and pop her on it, side on to me, and ease a front paw, press with the clippers, press again, and if no reaction then I snip (the pressure from the press helps to make sure you're not on the quick, if they react then try again lower down) I turn her around and do the same the other side, for the hind feet I have thier bums to my stomach and hold them up by supporting under front paws, and gently ease a back leg forward so the nails are clear (a tiny bit of water on your fingers to dampen the fur helps) and do the same again. I NEVER thought they would be calm for it, and clipping had always been a two person job, one holding, one snipping; but actually, they seem to be more comfortable with thier paws on something solid and gentle support from thier humans. I was amazed they tolerated it and seemed happy with it! I then gave a good groom, which then seemed to really like!
    Maybe give that a go with Gandalf? On a lower surface perhaps in case he wants to jump off. He might prefer the hands off approach too, my girls are great with it now after some practise (and I love that I can do it self sufficiently and cause minimal 'sinning' to them!)
    Hope he is doing ok

    It seems you've worked out the knack

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •