• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Look what Doris did!

How frightening. Where abouts in Worcestershire are you - I used to live and work in Worcester itself.

We are in Redditch, the other side of the county from Worcester.

I am hoping we can get the top of the tree dealt with ourselves so the runs can be repaired but the trunk is too heavy and would be dangerous to mess about with, but luckily we are not using that section of the garden at the moment. Last year there were two groups of rabbits down there but I worried about them not being where I could easily keep an eye on them.

Good grief :shock: Thank goodness you are all OK. Do you have enough help to get the felled tree and the damage sorted out ?

The other two trustees, Jennifer and Caroline, are brilliant handy women and have dealt with several of these leylandii when they have fallen before so I am sure they can deal with the top bit, and they will get the fences mended and do the shed roof. And we have a volunteer who owns a chainsaw who might be able to do something about the larger section that missed the runs. So hopefully we have it covered. We even bought a new roll of wire recently so the fence repair will go ok as long as the posts are not damaged. That is the big question mark.

The other two trustees, Jennifer and Caroline, are brilliant handy women and have dealt with several of these leylandii when they have fallen before so I am sure they can deal with the top bit, and they will get the fences mended and do the shed roof. And we have a volunteer who owns a chainsaw who might be able to do something about the larger section that missed the runs. So hopefully we have it covered. We even bought a new roll of wire recently so the fence repair will go ok as long as the posts are not damaged. That is the big question mark.

Glad to hear that you have some Volunteers able to help. It is quite terrifying to think about the damage adverse weather can do. I hope the fence posts have survived and that they wont need replacing too xx

Well the rabbits have their runs back thanks to Caroline and her chain saw. The posts are fine. And the wire has gone back up. It was rather crumpled and the staples had popped out but fixing it is so much easier than if it had been solid fencing.

But there is still an awful lot of tree balanced on top of the smaller trees. It is much too dangerous to have volunteers do any more to it. It is still settling and letting out great creaks and groans. It really was a lucky escape and makes us realise we really need to do something not only about that tree but about the remaining ones that are likely to come down in a future storm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back