• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone any advice about the long term use of Metacam for pain relief in buns?

janhm69

Young Bun
Hi there, a while ago, I made a post about my bun, who seemed to be leaving ceacals uneaten and then treading in them! This was leading to food problems and I was trying to cut the nuggets down in her diet to hopefully stop the poo problem. After a trip to the vet (and as I had half suspected, as her diet is good) it seems that arthritis is more the issue and I think that the poor thing could not actually bend down to get to the ceacals! She had also been pretty stiff in one leg. My vet checked her over and said that muscles etc in the legs looked good but said to try her on daily Metacam to see if this helped. The difference was almost instant. No more ceacals! I have been giving her 0.5 Metacam a day as prescribed and she has been so much better. My vet has said to try to reduce the dose gradually to see how low a dose I can give as he said there are issues with the long term use of the drug. I gave her a bit less yesterday and straight away, squishy poo. I am worried about her in the long term and wondering if anyone else is in this situation and what sort of dose is usual. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi there, a while ago, I made a post about my bun, who seemed to be leaving ceacals uneaten and then treading in them! This was leading to food problems and I was trying to cut the nuggets down in her diet to hopefully stop the poo problem. After a trip to the vet (and as I had half suspected, as her diet is good) it seems that arthritis is more the issue and I think that the poor thing could not actually bend down to get to the ceacals! She had also been pretty stiff in one leg. My vet checked her over and said that muscles etc in the legs looked good but said to try her on daily Metacam to see if this helped. The difference was almost instant. No more ceacals! I have been giving her 0.5 Metacam a day as prescribed and she has been so much better. My vet has said to try to reduce the dose gradually to see how low a dose I can give as he said there are issues with the long term use of the drug. I gave her a bit less yesterday and straight away, squishy poo. I am worried about her in the long term and wondering if anyone else is in this situation and what sort of dose is usual. Any advice is much appreciated.

I have had several arthritic Rabbits who have needed longterm Metacam. The dose being titrated up/down as needed. I have never had any Rabbit have any adverse reaction to Metacam used longterm to treat chronic pain :)

Yes there can be long term kidney issues with using Metacam regularly.

However, there can be other issues, like digestive upsets (causing not eating) that can be caused by Metacam. It's a balancing act, and if you feel your rabbit's stomach needs 'protection' from the non steroidal anti inflammatory (Metacam) you can always ask your vet to prescribe Ranitidine (Zantac). Rabbits are less prone to gut ulceration, but it certainly occurs.

That said, and I can't remember how old she is, you have to weigh up the value and risk and her quality of life :)

Sounds like you have a good vet?

Hi

Thank you MM, Jack's-Jane, Joey& Boo so much for the replies. Mighty Max, my bun is 6 at the moment, 7 later this year. This is approximate as she was a rescue but I think that age is reasonably accurate. The difference since she has been on the Metacam has been amazing, I was just hoping to cut the Metacam down a bit more since my vet did mention kidney/organ problems were a possibility with long term use. Bun was hopping about before ok but you could see that she was sitting awkwardly and had difficulty scratching her head with the stiff leg. I have always thought my vets very good, he did say to me better to have the quality of life, which she appears to have got back and just try to give what is absolutely necessary to maintain this, to gradually try to cut the dose to see the minimum that could be given. It is heartening to hear people say that they have had buns on this medication long term and they have been ok. I always give it just after food to try to help the tummy. My post should read 'foot' problems, not food problems! Because she is now not treading in ceacals, the foot problems have all but cleared up. I was worried she would develop pododermatitis (hope I spelt that right!).

Our Rosie has been on metacam daily for 5 weeks now for arthritis, she is 10 :D We started her on 0.24ml twice a day and the vet told us to aim to get it down to 0.12ml (she weighs 1.29 kg at the moment). We've been doing this very slowly and trying a few days at a time when we reduce it, we're now at 0.16ml and this dose is still good for her. Fortunately she doesn't yet have problems eating her caecotrophes or grooming but she does seem stiff in her back and back legs and does a lot of stretching. Doesn't stop her binkying though :D Rosie had blood tests before she went on the metacam and her kidney function was normal (very slightly raised but vet happy it wasn't enough to be a concern). From the article I read (and I can't remember which one it was) it said it could mostly be a problem if the bunny already had any kind of kidney problem, but if not then the risks of a problem weren't particularly high. Like you said, quality of life is really important and Rosie seems really happy to us right now so it's a risk we're willing to take.

Hi

Thank you MM, Jack's-Jane, Joey& Boo so much for the replies. Mighty Max, my bun is 6 at the moment, 7 later this year. This is approximate as she was a rescue but I think that age is reasonably accurate. The difference since she has been on the Metacam has been amazing, I was just hoping to cut the Metacam down a bit more since my vet did mention kidney/organ problems were a possibility with long term use. Bun was hopping about before ok but you could see that she was sitting awkwardly and had difficulty scratching her head with the stiff leg. I have always thought my vets very good, he did say to me better to have the quality of life, which she appears to have got back and just try to give what is absolutely necessary to maintain this, to gradually try to cut the dose to see the minimum that could be given. It is heartening to hear people say that they have had buns on this medication long term and they have been ok. I always give it just after food to try to help the tummy. My post should read 'foot' problems, not food problems! Because she is now not treading in ceacals, the foot problems have all but cleared up. I was worried she would develop pododermatitis (hope I spelt that right!).

You're very welcome :)

She's kinda fairly young for arthritis, but it sounds like needs must at the moment. And it's great to hear she's so happy on it!

I'm pleased you have a good vet. That's worth a lot, and he appreciates her quality of life is the most important thing.
Yes you spelt pododermatitis right :lol: Wouldn't have mattered if you hadn't!

What's her name and will we be seeing a photo of her? :)

My Daisy has been on daily metacam for about 4 years, with no adverse effects at all :) she also had a blood test not long ago, which showed her kidneys to be perfectly fine, so I really don't believe it causes kidney problems in rabbits at all. Cats and dogs maybe, but no issues here :) she is on a massive dose now too, still no probs :)

Thank you for all the replies, really helpful. I am a bit worried that 0.5 is a big dose daily but I will try again to cut it down gradually if I can. With 0.4 though yesterday, the poop returned! Its good to know that most seem not to suffer with problems from the drug though. She is still a relatively young bun and I was hoping for alot more time yet. Her name is Pepper and she has a sister Pip. I will try to put a photo of them if I can work out how to do it! :D.

Thank you for all the replies, really helpful. I am a bit worried that 0.5 is a big dose daily but I will try again to cut it down gradually if I can. With 0.4 though yesterday, the poop returned! Its good to know that most seem not to suffer with problems from the drug though. She is still a relatively young bun and I was hoping for alot more time yet. Her name is Pepper and she has a sister Pip. I will try to put a photo of them if I can work out how to do it! :D.

Ah Pepper, lovely name :love:

Here's how you do photos :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Hope it helps :)

How heavy is Pepper?

Metacam ( generic name Meloxicam) dose rates are weight specific and their is a wide dose range that can be given. It is up to the prescribing Vet to decide what dose is most appropriate for an individual Rabbit, but as a guide there is a reference here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

Tamsin, RU Forum owner, has posted a 'Sticky' thread in the 'Help Using the Forum' section which explains how to post photos :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

Hi there :)

If you are worried that 0.5 is a big dose for Pepper, then you should review this with your vet. There is a large margin for prescribing Metacam, and vets use differing levels depending on your rabbit's history, weight and vet's preferences.

Do post back if I can help further :)

Hi there

Many thanks again for the replies. I have checked out the information on the Metacam, at work currently so will have a closer look when I get home but very helpful. At a bit of a guess, Pepper is around 1.2kg in weight. Her sister is just slightly heavier so I think 1.2kg is about right. I gave her a dose of 0.4 this morning but I have noticed that the sloppy poo is appearing again... Not nearly as bad as she was prior to the start of the Metacam but I am a bit concerned about it. She has been so much better this last week in every way. When I get home I will check out the photo link and have a go at putting a photo of them up here. She and her sister are super lovely Rexes.

Hi there

Many thanks again for the replies. I have checked out the information on the Metacam, at work currently so will have a closer look when I get home but very helpful. At a bit of a guess, Pepper is around 1.2kg in weight. Her sister is just slightly heavier so I think 1.2kg is about right. I gave her a dose of 0.4 this morning but I have noticed that the sloppy poo is appearing again... Not nearly as bad as she was prior to the start of the Metacam but I am a bit concerned about it. She has been so much better this last week in every way. When I get home I will check out the photo link and have a go at putting a photo of them up here. She and her sister are super lovely Rexes.

:love: :D

Hi there

You're welcome :)

If you need any help working out the dosage range for Metacam, do PM me and if I can help I will :)

R0020335.JPG_zpstunegggo.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are Pip and Pepper. Pepper is the brown bun on the right and Pip, slightly sleepy, is the orange rex on the left. You can see why I love 'em!

R0020335.JPG_zpstunegggo.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here are Pip and Pepper. Pepper is the brown bun on the right and Pip, slightly sleepy, is the orange rex on the left. You can see why I love 'em!

A gorgeous Castor Rex and I think Pip is actually a Cinnamon Rex, equally gorgeous :love: Can you tell I am a Rexaholic !!

A gorgeous Castor Rex and I think Pip is actually a Cinnamon Rex, equally gorgeous :love: Can you tell I am a Rexaholic !!

Thank you for telling me that Pepper is a castor rex, I was never sure quite what she was, a rex but wasn't sure about the colour! She is always 'the brown one', which doesn't do her justice really!!! I love rex bunnies, these have such amazing characters. I have given Pepper her metacam this morning, 0.4 again with a view to trying to reduce the dose a bit gradually. I am a bit concerned about her feet still. The vet gave me some FD10 which I have put on the rather pink bit that is still evident under a bit of fur on the flat of her foot. I think this has developed on the opposite foot to her stiff leg because she has been sitting heavily on it. She (without the metacam) was sitting rather wonky on one side which was my reason for taking her to the vet in the first place, along with the rather sore foot. I'm not sure that FD10 will actually help to keep the skin supple or less angry? I don't want it to develop in to pododermatitis as I mentioned in an earlier post. I understand that FD10 is an anti bacteria thing for wounds? I had thought that the foot had cleared up but the patch is hidden by a flap of fluff and it is still there. I am putting a load of vet bed underneath their current flooring to make it more springy. They have soft flooring already but I think it needs a bit more 'give' in it.

Back