• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor cage issues!

Nibbles08

New Kit
Hi everyone our rabbit Nibbles was a Christmas present for our daughter December 2016.
She absolutely loves her.
The only issue I have is no matter what bedding I put in the cage she kicks it out leaving a horrible mess all over the kitchen floor.
I am a childminder and its becoming a real issue with having lots of children in the house!

We have tried, sawdust, wooden based bedding (pets at home) shredded soft bedding but no matter what it is she kicks it out!

Anyone know why she does this and how I can stop it happening?

Her cage is plastic on the bottom with a metal cage around it with an opening in the middle for her to get out and a larger opening at the top to allow feeding and cleaning.

Thank you for reading :)

Hi, have you tried woodpellet cat litter in her litter tray? I found as it is heavy it doesn't get kicked out as bunny hops in and out of the tray. Then I would put hay on top of it or at one end of the tray. You can use vet bed for a bed, although my rabbit used to like to sleep on the floor in the middle of the room!

I hope you don't mind me saying but most indoor cages are very small and only suitable to use as a base really :thumb: I didn't use a cage for my rabbit, I rabbit proofed a room and he lived free range in there.

I don't want to be rude, either, but those cages - although advertised as suitable for rabbits - are much too small. People sometimes use dog crates and attach runs to them (they should always have access to a run, never confined to any kind of hutch - indoor or outdoor). The indoor housing section gives some very good ideas.
I'm afraid the people selling those cages have selling and profit on their mind, not rabbit welfare, much like all the dreadful shop bought treats. The RWAF website gives advice on minimum recommended sizes.
I'm sure you will all get a lot of pleasure from your new rabbit and you will have a much happier and healthier rabbit once you have got the housing sorted out.

The problem I have is i am a childminder so I have to keep her in the cage during the day then she comes out after 6 when the children have gone home, she eats everything in site and wee's everywhere so I can't really be looking after her and 6 children through the day

I have tried cat litter wooden pellets she hates them, I put the pellets one side and hay at the other but she merges the two and kicks it all over the floor!

Unfortunately, most people don't realise how much space a rabbit needs - and many breeders/pet shops don't give correct advice as they don't have the welfare of the animal at heart - just their profit margin. An indoor rabbit isn't perhaps the best idea if you are a childminder as leaving any rabbit in a cage all day just isn't the right thing to do.
Would a large hutch with an attached run, to go outdoors, be an option? You then have the possibility of bonding her, once she is spayed, with a neutered male. Generally, rabbits are much happier as a bonded pair.

Unfortunately, most people don't realise how much space a rabbit needs - and many breeders/pet shops don't give correct advice as they don't have the welfare of the animal at heart - just their profit margin. An indoor rabbit isn't perhaps the best idea if you are a childminder as leaving any rabbit in a cage all day just isn't the right thing to do.
Would a large hutch with an attached run, to go outdoors, be an option? You then have the possibility of bonding her, once she is spayed, with a neutered male. Generally, rabbits are much happier as a bonded pair.

I agree with this. Bunnies need loads of space and should never be kept caged all day. They are very sensitive, delicate creatures and highly sociable. Children have to be taught to respect any pet in their vicinity.

100% agree with this :thumb:. Completely understand that you have children to look after during the day so my first thought was to move bunny outside, get her neutered and introduce a friend. Then she can have a large hutch with attached run and can kick her bedding around as much as she likes :D. Rabbits do dig in their bedding so you'll never stop it I'm afraid.

I have an outdoor cage which is much bigger with two floors, but I was concerned she would get cold!

If she is indoors now she won't be able to go outside until at least spring, as she won't have a winter coat. You could give her a safe place to exercise indoors by putting a puppy pen around her cage :thumb:

As Zoobec said, she won't be able to go out until April/May and will obviously need plenty of bedding to keep her cosy. She would need a hutch of at least 6ft x 2ft with a permanently attached run of at least 8ft x 6ft. Another good reason for bonding her - rabbits cuddle together.

For now, until it is warm enough for her to go outside, you could put a puppy pen around her cage so that she can stretch her legs. My two boys had shredded paper to dig in and just newspaper and hay in their litter tray (ie the whole of her indoor cage).

I do hope that you manage to find a solution that suits her and you.

Back