• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Increasing height of run?

Casco

Mama Doe
Has anyone ever modified an existing run to increase the height? The run I have is 3ft-ish high, I made it this height as it fitted in nicely with the hutch I used it with but now it's attached to a shed. I would love to have a full height run to make it easier for cleaning as I'm finding it's giving me a sore stomach after crouching in the run to sweep it (my current fosters leave a LOT of bum nuggets in there!). It does have a detachable roof but it's a bit of a pain to lift the panels off.

I'm thinking of making sections to go at the bottom and maybe also the top of the existing panels, probably enclosed panels using something like plywood, decking board or some other sort of timber to attach to a frame. If I add around a foot at the bottom and the same at the top then a roof on top of that it should be fine heightwise for me as I'm only 5ft 1". It would also have to fit with the height of the shed. In my head this would work but I'm wondering if it will work in reality :lol:

It would help to see a picture of your current run, espechially the top rail of it and what access you have for screws or bolts. Plywood or boarded panels will be heavy, obviously a roof will help support the whole thing. I would have gone for a simple frame with wire, light weight, won't get hit by high winds

There's a run that's been raised in the outdoor housing sticky, only by a few inches but I guess the same principle would work. I'm hoping to do the same this summer so will be interested to see how you get on!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wasn't able to get on here for a while due to having no iPad so didn't get to update the thread - I did manage to make the run higher, high enough for me anyway.

Before:

After:

Still got a few minor adjustments to make like waterproofing the sides, extra bolts for the door etc but glad to have finished as it took longer than I anticipated!

That is REALLY nicely done! :D I'd be overjoyed at myself for that, but your DIY skills are probably a lot better already :thumb: Looks like it was made like that :)

The side with the door is pretty much totally new, I reused some of the wood but had to build from scratch. The other 2 sides I've just made extra 2ft high panel and screwed it all together. So much easier to get in now.

Have to admit I love a bit of bunny diy :lol: but the house was an absolute tip for at least a week as I didn't have time for housework due to the time spent making and painting the run!

Back