• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie - is this just dry skin? U/D after vets

I think I must have been looking in the wrong place last night as the area looks just as flaky today. We're going to keep the appointment tonight and see what vet says (should be the one we thought we were seeing yesterday ). Rosie is fine in herself but I am finding the constant trying to do the right thing for them both very stressful.

I think I must have been looking in the wrong place last night as the area looks just as flaky today. We're going to keep the appointment tonight and see what vet says (should be the one we thought we were seeing yesterday ). Rosie is fine in herself but I am finding the constant trying to do the right thing for them both very stressful.

I am sure. Plus whilst at times it can be useful to hear of various opinions on here in the end it can sometimes become a case of information overload. At the end of the day (urgh, I hate that saying !!) the best thing is to have a Vet we feel able to trust. Not one that we feel we cannot ask questions of, but one we know will always try to do what is best for our Rabbit. It sounds as though your Vets were fine about you questioning the prescribed treatment and agreed to you giving Ivermectin instead.

Most people who post in health do so to try to offer support, but none of us are qualified in Veterinary Medicine (not these days anyway, sadly our Vet members dont have time to post any more), so finding a Vet we can trust is always going to be the most help.

So try not to get stressed about Rosie's latest issue. She sounds to be feeling fine in herself at the moment and if she does have mites a course of Ivermectin should sort that out for her :) It may help to give her a daily groom as older arthritic Bunnies can find grooming themselves a bit tricky at times. That can lead to a predisposition toward mites xx

Last edited:

Yes, you do try very hard and it becomes quite wearing over time. Especially when it appears to be one thing after another.

I should take the advice of a good vet and stick with trusted advice. Sometimes listening to all and sundry can make your head spin!
I hope you get to see your preferred vet this evening.

Good luck lou xx

Thank you both, we do really appreciate the support. If I feel able I'll discuss with the vet tonight about why they appear to have a preference for the Xenex (especially if they keep ivermectin anyway).

We've been brushing Rosie everyday for a while now. She seems to like it and the birds will have some lovely nests round here as we're pushing her fur into an empty plastic bottle which martyn has hung in a tree and rigged up with a little perch so small birds can get it.

Thank you both, we do really appreciate the support. If I feel able I'll discuss with the vet tonight about why they appear to have a preference for the Xenex (especially if they keep ivermectin anyway).

We've been brushing Rosie everyday for a while now. She seems to like it and the birds will have some lovely nests round here as we're pushing her fur into an empty plastic bottle which martyn has hung in a tree and rigged up with a little perch so small birds can get it.

I love pegging the fur out on the washing line and waiting for the birds to come and collect it.

Good luck with the vet. I'm sure they have a reason for why they did what they did. Hard to second guess really :)

Rosie's had the Ivermectin injection. The vet we saw was the one we should have seen yesterday and she said that she thought (thought not certain) that the other vet would have prescribed the Xenex as it's licensed for rabbits but that Ivermectin isn't. Anyway she was happy to give it to her seeing as she's had it before with no ill effects. The affected patch actually looked worse tonight, more flaky and a bit sore. She did also tell us to thoroughly clean her areas (tricky, as she's comes into the carpeted living room) and that Ted might need a treatment as well (they use same litter tray in the living room). I've been to the carpet shop tonight and got some free squares so we can throw the old ones away and we'll wash all her blankets on a high temperature. Does that sound ok? At what point are the mites killed off on Rosie? The vet did say she might need a second treatment if it's not cleared up in 2 weeks.

Rosie's had the Ivermectin injection. The vet we saw was the one we should have seen yesterday and she said that she thought (thought not certain) that the other vet would have prescribed the Xenex as it's licensed for rabbits but that Ivermectin isn't. Anyway she was happy to give it to her seeing as she's had it before with no ill effects. The affected patch actually looked worse tonight, more flaky and a bit sore. She did also tell us to thoroughly clean her areas (tricky, as she's comes into the carpeted living room) and that Ted might need a treatment as well (they use same litter tray in the living room). I've been to the carpet shop tonight and got some free squares so we can throw the old ones away and we'll wash all her blankets on a high temperature. Does that sound ok? At what point are the mites killed off on Rosie? The vet did say she might need a second treatment if it's not cleared up in 2 weeks.

The normal Ivermectin protocol is one dose every two weeks, for three doses. Also, all rabbits in the household are treated.

No vet that I've come across in the past few years (including my 'savvy' vet) recommended any sort of 'disinfection' routine :)

If you have a steam cleaner you could do the carpets with that :)

Re the Ivermectin- reference to the usual treatment protocol can be found on here

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Common_drug_dosages_for_rabbits

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ivermectin.htm

Just to add, yes, the other rabbit/s in the household are usually treated at the same time.

Steam cleaning isn't recommended for carpets that are harbouring mites..

Treatment of the environment is important (boric acid such as Fleabusters®; Vet-Kem Acclaim Plus® - Sanofi; Staykil® - Novartis; Indorex® - Virbac; acaricide spray). When treating a carpet, vacuum first in order to further penetration of the spray or powder. Shampooing and steam cleaning are not ideal; their residual humidity can increase the mite problem. During treatment of the environment, rabbits should be kept in another part of the home to avoid the danger of contact with the products.

This is taken from here (reliable source!):

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

(May be some distressing pics in this link!)

Good luck Lou xx

Back