• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Bonding Question

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
Never tried bonding before as this is my first bun. Leroy Brown is now 9 mos. old (neutered) and I'd like to get him a GF. I saw a lovely little female mini rex for rehome on craigslist, but she is not spayed. She is 2.5 years old. I called my vet but they can't book for her spay until April 20.

Would the age difference make a bond more difficult? Would I need to keep them separated until after spay?

No to both questions! I do try matching rabbits agewise but you just can't always do it. My latest bond was a 4yr old female with a 1yr old male and they are very happy. You can get the little girl spayed at your leisure, once she is settled in etc. April is a long way off - those Vets must be mega busy.

I did get her. She seems very calm but I think she has probably only ever known life in a hutch. Her life will be very different, I hope she likes it. Right now she is in a cage beside Leroy where they can see and smell each other. I took Leroy with me to pick her up and they rode in the same cage with a divider between them. They are now both happily munching on greens and carrot. I am starting on litter box training and have to tackle nail trimming tomorrow - they are so long!

It's a pity they didn't get the claws done at the Rescue, I did notice them but at least they are white. I do hope they like one another. Remember, if you start to let her out, that females are very territorial and she will claim any area as hers, which might make it more difficult for her to accept the male. Good luck with the litter training and the nail trimming and I hope she settles in very well and has a happy life with you.

I woke up at 4:15 a.m. thinking about those nasty nails. By 7:30 a.m. they were trimmed! She took it very well. She peed in the crate but she is also using the litter pan. I need a bigger pan, I think. The cages are side by side with the food/water dishes facing each other - about 3" between them. So far, they are ignoring each other. But she's eating/drinking/pooing normally.

What should my next step be? Should I let her acclimate for a week or so or try them in a neutral area with an x pen?

I tried a little speed dating. I put an x pen divided into two sections on the driveway - neutral area. She stayed in the corner most of the time. When she did venture over by Leroy he bit at her through the bars. I broke it up and sprayed his face with water. They boxed a bit and bit at each other through the bars. She came back and gave him her backside a few times and he pulled fur out and grunted. This happened several times. At the end of the session he flopped on his side and she was half facing him from a slight distance. I considered the flop a good sign and ended the session.

Today was a bit better. While cleaning cages I put exchanged litter boxes so each could smell the other. Then set up the x pen, but still with a divider. Leroy nipped once through the wire, but not aggressively as he did yesterday. They ate some banana with their faces just a few inches apart. Then she moved away and turned her back and he flopped on his side.

At this point, I'm using this thread to document what I'm doing. But if anyone has advice, suggestions, etc. please chime in!!!!

Yesterday I gave Leroy the freedom to go in/out of both cages while I was cleaning them. He was quite interested in her litter box. She was in a pen in the side of the yard where Leroy has never gone. She actually binkyed once! So I guess there's hope for this skittish little girl.

They met through the fence, touched noses a few times and Leroy lightly nipped. She turned her back to him. Several times yesterday, he was loose in the yard while we were out and she was in the little pen area. Mostly they ignored each other, but got to enjoy the warm weather and sunshine.

I moved their indoor cages right up against each other. They are eating face to face. Sometimes one or the other is lying along the cage edge in what might be called their "common area." They could touch noses and start grooming if they want, but I have not seen that yet.

I bought a new Amish made double hutch that neither has been in yet. I'm hoping as the bonding goes well, I will put them in their. Hubby will make a few modifications to allow them access to one another. Time and patience! Either he will build a run or I will get a chain link dog kennel to surround the hutch. The kennel is what I want but $$ may be an issue. I had no idea that having a few lagomorphs could cost me so much $$$ and trigger OCD :)

I had my 11.5 YO dog to the vet yesterday due to a lump that suddenly formed to the right of her eye. Vet did a fine needle aspiration and there were a few mast cells, but she sent it to pathology to get a further diagnosis and treatment plan recommendation. Feeling quite overwhelmed with the thought of losing her. She was a rescue I got when I moved to this area. She was 4 mos. old. We've been through two years of obedience/rally classes at the dog club. She has gone to work with me, usually is with me while running errands and every vacation we took - she's been to Rhode Island, Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, all the children's homes in western PA and almost every park in a 20 mile radius. She is my heart dog; I'll never love like that again.

This is getting maudlin.

Hi ShirleyGirl,

Firstly, let me send you a virtual hug; you sound like you need it today -- I'm sorry to hear that your :heart: puppy is unwell, all you can do is continue to care for her the best you can; it sounds like you have given her a wonderful and very loved life so far.

...on the bunnies, it sounds like you are progressing, and as someone about to embark on bonding rabbits for the first time, any diaries are super interesting to read, so thank you for documenting the journey : )

Keep us posted, there are lots of bunny owners on here with some great advice x

Thanks Squishies. Potential good news about my dog - pathology doesn't think it's cancer. There were a few odd cells, but they don't know what it is. It's a 'watch and see what happens' plan.

Bonding today. I put them out on the driveway in the crate they rode together in when I brought her home. I decided to remove the barrier. Fierce fighting ensued. I broke it up, started again. I gave them a few seconds and broke it up again. No mounting really, just tussling. Someone drew a little blood. Then they were tired and just sat for a while. He attacked again but when I clapped and said no, he stopped. Hubby and I rocked that crate and they ended up butt to butt, scared but not fighting. Gave them a few minutes to breathe and then did the smooth between my legs. He grunted and wanted to bite her neck, but when I said no, he stopped. So they sat smoothed between my legs for about 10 minutes while I rubbed both of their heads. No more disturbances, in fact he was falling asleep. They are worn out from the encounter. But he had his last grunt and attempted nip when hubby picked her up to end the session.

I decided they had enough for today, there was no real bond, maybe a smidgeon of progress. They are now both back in their cages, side by side. I'll try again tomorrow. I have no idea if I'm doing this right or not, if it will ever work or not. It's a pretty crazy process!

Does anyone with a bit of bonding experience under their belt have some advice or thoughts for ShirleyGirl? ...it sounds rather stressful her end!

Mx

I've stopped the process because the little girl was spayed last Monday. They are in cages next to each other. My male seems to dislike her and nips at every chance, so I'm keeping them apart until she is healed. It may be another few weeks before I try again. But they see/smell each other 24/7, either in the basement room cages, in the outdoor double hutch, or in the yard where she is in an x pen and he runs free.

It makes me very sad to think they cannot play together outside. Hubby has plans to build a nice big pen and give them tunnels and such to play in.

For those who have multiples, even if they don't bond, do they get to the point where they can be in a large area together playing and not ripping each other apart? Will they learn to tolerate each other's presence? And if not, what do you do?

Hope your girl recovers well from her spay. Don't despair, most rabbits will bond but the male has to be sure that the female knows he is the dominant one. When she is recovered you need to put them together, somewhere they can stay for a few days while they get used to each other. The male will chase the female for a while and she will run away. This is all normal but gradually the chasing lessens and they become friends. Most of us on this Forum agree it is best not to separate them once introduced in order for them to begin the bonding process. Separating sets them back a bit and possibly confuses them, as they wonder what we are expecting of them. Good luck!

Thanks, tonibun. So far, he doesn't just chase, but attacks. She nips back and the fur flies. She nipped his ear and drew blood. I panicked and separated them! And she seems so frightened, wedging herself into the corner. I was afraid for the both of them. But you may be right because he's been rather moody and a bully even with me all week.

Maybe it will be different when she heals and the hormones are dwindling.

Back