• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dig box

Jayniekinns

Young Bun
Hello,
I was just wondering what people use for dig boxes in their runs, I was thinking of getting Maisy a plastic dog bed.
Also, what do you put in it? Dirt and turf out the garden, just dirt, compost? And i would assume it being out in the run I would need to make sure that end of the run is covered over or will end up muddy in the rain.
I do have grass in my garden but Maisys hutch and run are on the patio and I can't really do anything to let her have access to the grass for very long for many reasons (one of them is Red Kites swooping down), so I thought a dig box may be the best option.

Hello,
I was just wondering what people use for dig boxes in their runs, I was thinking of getting Maisy a plastic dog bed.
Also, what do you put in it? Dirt and turf out the garden, just dirt, compost? And i would assume it being out in the run I would need to make sure that end of the run is covered over or will end up muddy in the rain.
I do have grass in my garden but Maisys hutch and run are on the patio and I can't really do anything to let her have access to the grass for very long for many reasons (one of them is Red Kites swooping down), so I thought a dig box may be the best option.

A good idea would be to use shredded paper from a shredder and using it inside the hutch

I used a mix of sand and compost when my bunnies had one. They never did use it for digging much but they did like it nonetheless, many a binky was started off in that box

Large lidded litter tray full of argos play sand and they do use it. Just used one bag of sand and they rarely kicked any out, bought an extra bag a couple of weeks ago and the whole lot has ended up on the floor. Oh well, I guess it gives them a softer floor under foot than the concrete.
This is it when new with just the one bag.
https://youtu.be/gPKYHwiHJIA

I was about to ask the same thing if they use it as a litter tray.
Maisy may not be too bad as she is very good at using her litter tray, only time was a problem was when she stayed with my mum and she didnt use the litter tray she used her hay box instead

No they have never had a pee in it. If they ever had a poo it would only have been the odd pellet so that doesn't sound likely either

Large lidded litter tray full of argos play sand and they do use it. Just used one bag of sand and they rarely kicked any out, bought an extra bag a couple of weeks ago and the whole lot has ended up on the floor. Oh well, I guess it gives them a softer floor under foot than the concrete.
This is it when new with just the one bag.
https://youtu.be/gPKYHwiHJIA

Where did you get the litter box? The rabbit certainly enjoys it![emoji38] I have two rabbits would they be able to fit in there together? (They are quite medium sized)
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is brilliant - the video is beautiful
I was looking at a special rabbit digging box in the pet shop tonight and it cost 40 Swiss Francs!!
I think your solution is much better (not to mention cheaper).
I am adding it to the shopping list.

Back