• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox Trap

Has anyone got any experience of something like this?......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Q...&qid=1487161937&sr=8-3&keywords=fox+trap+cage

The plan would be to take it somewhere else and let it loose. Glasgow or Dundee should be far enough :wave:

The bunnies are getting virtually no garden time at the moment and I've had to chase the same fox away two days running now.

If you move the Fox on another will come along to take over the territory. The only way to deal with a Fox problem is to build Fox proof accommodation/exercise area and/or supervise all 'free range' exercise time :)

ETA- http://foxproject.org.uk/deterrence/

Last edited:
I don't know much about foxes, although I lost two bunnies to a fox overnight a few years ago:(

My concern about moving a fox away from where it lives is that it may have babies that will die if the mother is taken away and can't feed them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Q...&qid=1487161937&sr=8-3&keywords=fox+trap+cage

The plan would be to take it somewhere else and let it loose. Glasgow or Dundee should be far enough :wave:

The bunnies are getting virtually no garden time at the moment and I've had to chase the same fox away two days running now.

Sadly a fox trap won't guarantee that your garden will remain fox-less, as there will always be another to take it's place.

I had a very good suggestion from parsnipbun on here - she uses electric fencing. I have seen it at her house and garden, and it works really well and is unobtrusive.

There is probably more than one fox in the area and it may have young, if you move the fox another predator will come along to take it's place.
Also it will be very distressing for the fox to be moved to a area it doesn't know.
Can you not build a run for your rabbits it will be much safer for them.

I agree with the others - moving the fox is not fair on the fox at all and you'll just get others coming in. Best to work on Fox-proofing your garden.

And another point to consider - a stressed out fox in your car whilst you're moving it? The SMELL...OMG :shock::shock::shock:!!! They do stink (one of my friends rescues foxes and transports them to rescues in his old car which is just one big stink:lol:) - and it doesn't go away!

Why do I make all the crazy suggestions? :oops:
Have you tried "biological warfare" = claiming the garden as your territory the animal way by scenting? Problem - you have to keep it up if you have a high fox population.
The strongest deterrant is neat DDT. Paint a small splash on key fence posts about everycouple of days. (recommended by afox rescue)

A fox made an earth under my shed & was terrifying Benjie although he was indoors.
I didn't know whether the fox was a vixen with cubs.
1st attempt very loosely blocked hole with crumpled newspaper, collected some of my wee & poured it over the paper. Next day paper was disturbed so fox using the earth. After 2-3 days there was no disturbance of paper - fox not using earth = safe to block. It poured with rain for the next 2 days so I stupidly didn't block the hole permanently & a different fox came in.
This fox ignored my "marker" & retaliated by doing a huge pooh outside my french doors.
I upped the deterrant with a little DDT on the shed where animals couldn't go. Fox moved but only across to the compost heap where it tried to dig an earth but got a compost avelanche & gave up.
My garden was favoured because I had a tiny artificial pond they drank from & I had to remove this.

The things we do for our rabbits Eh?

What a cruel idea. Another will move in so you will not solve your problem. Can your rabbits not be house bunnies?

I do think it's worrying that they might have babies. There's also the fact that more will take their place.

However, I have trapped raccoons before several years ago (and accidentally trapped possums and cats at the same time). The raccoons were very chill about it (the cats not so much!) and we released them in a nice wooded area.

So I'm not completely against the idea but in your place I would just make the rabbit accommodation as predator proof as possible and not let them free range unless you're in the garden supervising. In my situation it was that I had free ranging pekin ducks (not a good idea to free range a duck that's incapable of flight, sadly) and the raccoons were obviously a threat so we wanted to reduce the raccoon population a bit.

Back