• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Want to move my bunny indoors, need advice

hoppet22

New Kit
A few years ago me and my mum were living at my grandparents, that's when I bought a rabbit, she lives in a nice big hutch and run there but it's cold and she's alone. I would love to move to mine so I can interact with her more. The only problem is we my grandparents won't let me, my mum is fine with it but my grandparents say rabbits don't belong indoors (we have no garden) and it will cause problems. I don't know what to do because I feel really bad leaving her out in the cold alone. Any advice on what I could tell my grandparents, like what are the pros to keeping rabbits inside? Also I was going to buy a dog crate and connect it to a big run I have is this ok for housing? Is there anything different I need to know for keeping rabbits inside?

RWAF have some info on their website, like this leaflet http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/heyNov07.pdf - you could maybe show them something like that.

I have 3 indoor rabbits and it's great to be able to see them all the time - you see so much more of their personalities and behaviours than you do when they are outdoors. On the negative side, they do chew cables (unless you are very lucky and yours doesn't bother with them) so you do need to make sure cables are hidden or protected. They may also have a nibble at things you'd rather they wouldn't like furniture, carpets etc. And you will find bits of hay in random places :lol: but overall I love having mine indoors.

ETA whether you keep your bunny indoors or outdoors, they really would benefit from having a bunny friend. It's great to see them playing and snuggling together :love: Have a look for a local rabbit rescue near you, they often also help with bonding too.

Last edited:
Having had both outdoor rabbits and an indoor rabbit in the recent past I can honestly say having indoor rabbits is truly amazing, you can form a much better relationship with them. But not all rabbits personalities suit living indoors. My outdoor quad hated being indoors. Whereas Boots loved being inside. You could use a dog crate connected to a large run so long as there was enough space permanently available. The rwaf recommends a minimum total of 60sqft of space - for an outside set up this equates to a 6ftx2ft hutch with a permanently attached run of 8ftx6ft.

I would not keep a rabbit outside alone as it would get lonely and they like a friend to snuggle with.

Back