Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bunny lump

Default Bunny lump

Hey everyone, I don't post here very often and I wish I did, so I feel bad for turning up when I'm really worried about my Daisy.

Last Friday the 3rd of February I picked Daisy up and found a lump on her leg, its kinda near the hip but further down. The lump moves from being on the outside to being tucked underneath. It's a soft lump and very moveable and it's the size of a small cherry tomato. I was her bottom on the Wednesday before I felt it, and I hadn't noticed it at all. When I usually pick her up I rest my hand on the area where I found it, so I know it had come up quickly.
    I took her to the vet on Tuesday (7th of feb) and the young vet who I hadn't seen before aspirated some cells from her. It didn't look like much came out. We're meant to get the results on monday. I'm terrified. Daisy is 8years old, she's actually just turned 8. She's spayed too. She's happy and eating away and her feisty self.
    I've tried searching everywhere about what it could be. I'm worried sick I've had bunnies with jaw abscesses before, and it does feel a bit like one, but the young vet said she would have seen it in the syringe if it were an abscess.
    I've had house bunnies for over 20years and never come across this.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by christina83 View Post
    Hey everyone, I don't post here very often and I wish I did, so I feel bad for turning up when I'm really worried about my Daisy.

Last Friday the 3rd of February I picked Daisy up and found a lump on her leg, its kinda near the hip but further down. The lump moves from being on the outside to being tucked underneath. It's a soft lump and very moveable and it's the size of a small cherry tomato. I was her bottom on the Wednesday before I felt it, and I hadn't noticed it at all. When I usually pick her up I rest my hand on the area where I found it, so I know it had come up quickly.
    I took her to the vet on Tuesday (7th of feb) and the young vet who I hadn't seen before aspirated some cells from her. It didn't look like much came out. We're meant to get the results on monday. I'm terrified. Daisy is 8years old, she's actually just turned 8. She's spayed too. She's happy and eating away and her feisty self.
    I've tried searching everywhere about what it could be. I'm worried sick I've had bunnies with jaw abscesses before, and it does feel a bit like one, but the young vet said she would have seen it in the syringe if it were an abscess.
    Generally speaking very mobile 'lumps' are less likely to be anything nasty than lumps that appear to be attached to underlying tissue/bone etc. It is obviously a worrying time for you, but the lump may just be a benign cyst. One of my previous Rabbits had several of them in his latter years. None were malignant. I hope that you receive reassuring news from your Vet tomorrow x

For up-to-date information about RHD2
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

To view reported cases of RHD2 and Vets reported to stock the RHD2 Vaccine

http://rhd2map.buntools.org.uk/

Shop Online and raise money for Animal Rescue + Care (ARC)

https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/home/giving-machine/

Warren Veteran

Sending vibes for Daisy and hoping for positive news tomorrow.

Hi Christina

Sorry to hear about Daisy, and don't ever worry about coming on here when you're concerned

I would try not to worry and keep yourself distracted today. We could come up with suggestions of what it might be, but it would all be speculation and hot helpful to you.

If it were an abscess, your vet is right, it would be obvious. I'm glad you're going to know soon what it is.

Comforting hugs being sent xx

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the replies and love
    I just wanted to update. Daisy had her results today and the vet said it was good news, that they didn't detect anything
    She said there was a lot of blood when she took the cells though.
    Daisy's her usual self, she had food and hay all over face fury face right now (she's a white angora) so whatever she's been up to always shows
    The vet doesn't want to operate to take it out because of her age, but if it starts causing her problems she will.
    So I'm over the moon she's ok

I just wanted to update. Daisy had her results today and the vet said it was good news, that they didn't detect anything
    Daisy's her usual self, she had food and hay all over face fury face right now (she's a white angora) so whatever she's been up to always shows
    The vet doesn't want to operate to take it out because of her age, but if it starts causing her problems she will.

That's fantastic news Christina

It's always worth waiting rather than worrying. Just so darn hard to do!

Wise Old Thumper

The best news !

Thank you

Hi everyone I just wanted to update about Daisy's lump.

Even though the lump was benign it's continued to grow It's now big. We've been to several vets and sought advice from an exotic vet but they've all said they wouldn't operate, so we've just been watching this growth keep growing. They said if they had operated she may not make it out of the operation because they said her lungs might not be up to it and she might bleed out.
    I'm guessing the lump is a lipoma, they haven't said this to us, but I think it must be.
    She's been quite happy and her naughty self until today. She's still eating well but not moving around as much as she usually does. Her two boys seem to be a little quieter too.

I just feel heartbroken this is happening.

Wise Old Thumper

Hi everyone I just wanted to update about Daisy's lump.

Even though the lump was benign it's continued to grow It's now big. We've been to several vets and sought advice from an exotic vet but they've all said they wouldn't operate, so we've just been watching this growth keep growing. They said if they had operated she may not make it out of the operation because they said her lungs might not be up to it and she might bleed out.
    I'm guessing the lump is a lipoma, they haven't said this to us, but I think it must be.
    She's been quite happy and her naughty self until today. She's still eating well but not moving around as much as she usually does. Her two boys seem to be a little quieter too.

I just feel heartbroken this is happening.
    I am sorry to hear this latest update is not good news I had a Rabbit (Jack) with a similar problem and whilst he did have both a punch biopsy and then surgery his lump grew back rapidly and further surgery was not an option. But he was able to enjoy a happy life for many months until the lump grew to the extent that it interfered with the mobility if his hip and the blood circulation to his leg. But right to the very end he remained a very happy Bunny. I hope that the same will apply for Daisy .

This was Jack

After his first op

As the lump grew back rapidly

And even on his final day he still had a great appetite and he was not at all distressed

Whilst you obviously have to cope with knowing Daisy's prognosis she does not know. As long as she feels OK within herself as far as she is concerned all is well xx
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 12-07-2017 at 05:13 AM.