• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny lump

christina83

Warren Scout
Hey everyone, I don't post here very often and I wish I did, so I feel bad for turning up when I'm really worried about my Daisy.

Last Friday the 3rd of February I picked Daisy up and found a lump on her leg, its kinda near the hip but further down. The lump moves from being on the outside to being tucked underneath. It's a soft lump and very moveable and it's the size of a small cherry tomato. I was her bottom on the Wednesday before I felt it, and I hadn't noticed it at all. When I usually pick her up I rest my hand on the area where I found it, so I know it had come up quickly.
I took her to the vet on Tuesday (7th of feb) and the young vet who I hadn't seen before aspirated some cells from her. It didn't look like much came out. We're meant to get the results on monday. I'm terrified. Daisy is 8years old, she's actually just turned 8. She's spayed too. She's happy and eating away and her feisty self.
I've tried searching everywhere about what it could be. I'm worried sick :( I've had bunnies with jaw abscesses before, and it does feel a bit like one, but the young vet said she would have seen it in the syringe if it were an abscess.
I've had house bunnies for over 20years and never come across this.

Hey everyone, I don't post here very often and I wish I did, so I feel bad for turning up when I'm really worried about my Daisy.

Last Friday the 3rd of February I picked Daisy up and found a lump on her leg, its kinda near the hip but further down. The lump moves from being on the outside to being tucked underneath. It's a soft lump and very moveable and it's the size of a small cherry tomato. I was her bottom on the Wednesday before I felt it, and I hadn't noticed it at all. When I usually pick her up I rest my hand on the area where I found it, so I know it had come up quickly.
I took her to the vet on Tuesday (7th of feb) and the young vet who I hadn't seen before aspirated some cells from her. It didn't look like much came out. We're meant to get the results on monday. I'm terrified. Daisy is 8years old, she's actually just turned 8. She's spayed too. She's happy and eating away and her feisty self.
I've tried searching everywhere about what it could be. I'm worried sick :( I've had bunnies with jaw abscesses before, and it does feel a bit like one, but the young vet said she would have seen it in the syringe if it were an abscess.

Generally speaking very mobile 'lumps' are less likely to be anything nasty than lumps that appear to be attached to underlying tissue/bone etc. It is obviously a worrying time for you, but the lump may just be a benign cyst. One of my previous Rabbits had several of them in his latter years. None were malignant. I hope that you receive reassuring news from your Vet tomorrow x

Hi Christina :wave:

Sorry to hear about Daisy, and don't ever worry about coming on here when you're concerned :)

I would try not to worry and keep yourself distracted today. We could come up with suggestions of what it might be, but it would all be speculation and hot helpful to you.

If it were an abscess, your vet is right, it would be obvious. I'm glad you're going to know soon what it is.

Comforting hugs being sent xx

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the replies and love :)
I just wanted to update. Daisy had her results today and the vet said it was good news, that they didn't detect anything :)
She said there was a lot of blood when she took the cells though.
Daisy's her usual self, she had food and hay all over face fury face right now (she's a white angora) so whatever she's been up to always shows :)
The vet doesn't want to operate to take it out because of her age, but if it starts causing her problems she will.
So I'm over the moon she's ok :)

I just wanted to update. Daisy had her results today and the vet said it was good news, that they didn't detect anything :)
Daisy's her usual self, she had food and hay all over face fury face right now (she's a white angora) so whatever she's been up to always shows :)
The vet doesn't want to operate to take it out because of her age, but if it starts causing her problems she will.

That's fantastic news Christina :D

It's always worth waiting rather than worrying. Just so darn hard to do! :D

The best news ! :D

Hi everyone I just wanted to update about Daisy's lump.

Even though the lump was benign it's continued to grow :( It's now big. We've been to several vets and sought advice from an exotic vet but they've all said they wouldn't operate, so we've just been watching this growth keep growing. They said if they had operated she may not make it out of the operation because they said her lungs might not be up to it and she might bleed out.
I'm guessing the lump is a lipoma, they haven't said this to us, but I think it must be.
She's been quite happy and her naughty self until today. She's still eating well but not moving around as much as she usually does. Her two boys seem to be a little quieter too.

I just feel heartbroken this is happening.

Even though the lump was benign it's continued to grow :( It's now big. We've been to several vets and sought advice from an exotic vet but they've all said they wouldn't operate, so we've just been watching this growth keep growing. They said if they had operated she may not make it out of the operation because they said her lungs might not be up to it and she might bleed out.
I'm guessing the lump is a lipoma, they haven't said this to us, but I think it must be.
She's been quite happy and her naughty self until today. She's still eating well but not moving around as much as she usually does. Her two boys seem to be a little quieter too.

I am sorry to hear this latest update is not good news :cry: I had a Rabbit (Jack) with a similar problem and whilst he did have both a punch biopsy and then surgery his lump grew back rapidly and further surgery was not an option. But he was able to enjoy a happy life for many months until the lump grew to the extent that it interfered with the mobility if his hip and the blood circulation to his leg. But right to the very end he remained a very happy Bunny. I hope that the same will apply for Daisy .

This was Jack

After his first op

As the lump grew back rapidly

And even on his final day he still had a great appetite and he was not at all distressed

Whilst you obviously have to cope with knowing Daisy's prognosis she does not know. As long as she feels OK within herself as far as she is concerned all is well xx

Last edited:

Christina I am so sorry, what a sweet girl Daisy is.

You have had the very best advice, and it seems watching and waiting and giving her the best quality of life is all you can do.

I have had a rabbit with a lump. Sadly in my rabbit's case it was cancerous. There was no way anyone would operate either, so I understand to some degree the situation you are faced with.

My brave little solider continued until it wasn't possible any longer, and had many months of wonderful life with companions.

I hope she continues to eat, and pick up her spirits. She doesn't put a label on her 'illness' as we do, thank goodness, and lives for the day. Each day with her is a bonus for you both.

Love and hugs for you and Daisy x

Sending vibes for both you and Daisy. I hope she can remain comfortable for as long as possible.

Hi, I'm so sorry about what happened to Jack, he was a very beautiful bunny.
I hope you don't mind me asking but did he go naturally or did you pts?

Me and mum have been cuddling Daisy most of the day, her mobility seemed to have gone, but after cuddling her and putting her back under her chair with her boys she ate some hay and threw a treat at me, hehe. I made her comfortable and popped a blanket around her to keep her stable and safe with her hay in front of her, I went to do a few things and she's out from under the chair chewing her favourite box. It's like the lump is too heavy for her :( I feel cruel but she's eating and cheerful in herself so I don't want to get her pts yet. When she goes her boys will be devastated, they love their mammy :(

Thank you :) It's so difficult having a bunny like this. She's loved with it for a couple of months now, and she's held her own and even went in the garden by herself the other day.

I'm so sorry about what happened to your little bunny.

Thank you :)

969394_549505158429661_455778819_n_zps2qhpjmeq.jpg
[/IMG]

1499605_952994984747341_1017437122634595619_n_zpsbfwsi9he.jpg

My Daisy. She's the white bunny.

She's on my knee right now having a big cuddle. She's wrapped in blankets. I keep kissing her loads and telling her I love her.
I'm so scared. My heart is broken.
I'm scared she's scared.

I was ill over Christmas with glandular fever and have been ill since with tiredness and aches. The illness made me so ill I thought I was dying and I've never felt so scared in my life. I'm scared she feels like I did and my heart is aching too much :(

Thank you Omi and Zoobec. I popped Daisy back in her bed under the chair with her boys after a big cuddle earlier. She moved around a tiny bit more but not much. She's been eating more basil leaves, carrot tops and a grape. She gets tired after a little exertion.

I feel like I can't cope with her going. I know she's had a really good life, she's always been pampered and never once had a health problem. She's over 8 and a half years old. I've kept bunnies since I was 8 and I'm 33 now and I still can't cope when they pass away. The bunnies I have now will be my last for a while because I can't deal with this pain anymore. I feel so black and depressed tonight. Appologies if I'm going on too much.

Back