• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny lump

Thank you Omi and Zoobec. I popped Daisy back in her bed under the chair with her boys after a big cuddle earlier. She moved around a tiny bit more but not much. She's been eating more basil leaves, carrot tops and a grape. She gets tired after a little exertion.

I feel like I can't cope with her going. I know she's had a really good life, she's always been pampered and never once had a health problem. She's over 8 and a half years old. I've kept bunnies since I was 8 and I'm 33 now and I still can't cope when they pass away. The bunnies I have now will be my last for a while because I can't deal with this pain anymore. I feel so black and depressed tonight. Appologies if I'm going on too much.

Christina ((((( hugs )))))

You are not going on at all. I am so sorry to hear about you and Daisy, but it seems you both have a very special bond with one another.

I am sorry you feel depressed, but I understand why, and I would feel that way too. You don't want to lose her, and yet you want to do the very best by her.

Be easy on yourself and see how things pan out over the next few hours/day.

We are here, supporting you and helping you to deal with this pain. It's so much harder for you because you've been so ill and in pain yourself. Look after yourself, and please post as much as you wish.

The photos of her are adorable :love:

Hi, MightMax, thank you :) I got myself into a bit of a state earlier. I had a massive cry and after crying myself silly went to see Daisy downstairs and she had a little food, and she gave herself a little wash afterwards. I had Daisy after my Nibbles died and Basil needed a new bunwife. She came into my life after I had been through a bad break up with my ex fiancé. Daisy and her baby boys have brought me so much joy, I love them all so much.

Hi, MightMax, thank you :) I got myself into a bit of a state earlier. I had a massive cry and after crying myself silly went to see Daisy downstairs and she had a little food, and she gave herself a little wash afterwards. I had Daisy after my Nibbles died and Basil needed a new bunwife. She came into my life after I had been through a bad break up with my ex fiancé. Daisy and her baby boys have brought me so much joy, I love them all so much.

It's amazing how they see us through difficult stretches of our own lives. I find rabbits such valiant and courageous little creatures. Just amazing in their fortitude. They've taught me all manner of things, including how to go on despite everything collapsing all around you - including health.

Hugs for you x

Rabbits are the worlds little miracles. They're too good for this world :)
Daisy is on my knee now, has been for a few hours. I know she's dying and I can't pts. Me and mum have spoken about putting her to sleep but we just can't. She's very sleepy and can't move much, she's very weak, the lump is too much for her little body.
I don't know what to expect with how she will go. I'm scared. I keep checking her breathing and looking at her nose. I'm scared she'll squeal or something. She doesn't seem like she's in pain. She's very sleepy. Her ears are up.

Rabbits are the worlds little miracles. They're too good for this world :)
Daisy is on my knee now, has been for a few hours. I know she's dying and I can't pts. Me and mum have spoken about putting her to sleep but we just can't. She's very sleepy and can't move much, she's very weak, the lump is too much for her little body.
I don't know what to expect with how she will go. I'm scared. I keep checking her breathing and looking at her nose. I'm scared she'll squeal or something. She doesn't seem like she's in pain. She's very sleepy. Her ears are up.

Try not to be scared christina. Rabbits are brave souls, and it's good to try and match their bravery with our own at times like this. Breathe deeply and tell yourself over and over that you can and will cope with whatever happens.

She is going into the unknown before you. She's leaving for a destination you won't see for a long long time. I know she has no choice, but I still believe that takes courage.

Ask her to keep you brave and courageous so you can both be on the same wavelength when she finally passes.

You are an amazing person. Hugs for you xx

I'm trying not to be scared, I want to be strong for her.
She's woken up a bit now and is listening to patch and sweep running about. Mums cutting up an old duvet so she can be more cosy under the chair.
Daisy ate a little porridge this morning, she doesn't usually have it but I thought she needed a treat. Daisy has always loved her hay (unlike her naughty sons lol).

I know it sounds daft but I hope bunnies don't feel scared passing and I hope they go to a nicer place.

I've popped her in her bed and me and mum have just popped to the shop to get a stamp, I need a quick cry in the car for 5mins.

Thank you. Xxx

I don't think I can put her to sleep. She's cosy in her bed now. She can't really move but she's all cosy. I'm hoping she'll go peacefully.

Just read through your thread and wanted to say how sorry I am. Daisy is a beautiful bunny :love:
It's a hard decision to make but whatever you do will be out of love. There is no wrong decision.
Sending lots of love to you. Xxxx

Last edited:
Thank you roxyroller and omi.
I feel cruel but I also don't want to stress her with scary people around.

I wonder how she's feeling, what do bunnies know about passing and stuff. Is she scared or does she just feel tired and sleepy?

I wonder how she's feeling, what do bunnies know about passing and stuff. Is she scared or does she just feel tired and sleepy?

It's not exactly scientific, but I like to think it's just like the end of 'Watership Down' - a new kind of bunny comes to get them and all they know is that a new adventure is starting. (Gosh, just that thought has made me tear up. How does WD do it, even after all these years?)

I'm really sorry you are having to go through saying goodbye. If it's any consolation at all, she is happy, secure and surrounded by that she has loved - I think anybody would want an end like that.

I agree.
She is comfortable and surrounded by the people that love her. If she was scared or suffering then I think that you would know. Never underestimate a bun mums instincts, you know your girl. Xxx

Thank you roxyroller and omi.
I feel cruel but I also don't want to stress her with scary people around.

I certainly don't think you should feel cruel.

I think the key thing for me is that she isn't in pain and so is not suffering. I don't think anyone can know for sure what rabbits know about death. My personal view, and I'm not trying to make you feel better, is that if they are not in pain, then they will not be scared. Whether it's a rabbit or a human, I believe the "tired and sleepy" theory. Just like when someone falls asleep (you're not usually aware of this actual moment), goes under anaesthetic or is close to death.

Sending more hugs.

Thank you. Xxx

I don't think I can put her to sleep. She's cosy in her bed now. She can't really move but she's all cosy. I'm hoping she'll go peacefully.

She seems to be in the right place with you. Love and cosiness - I would love that at the end of my own life xx

Last night when I was cuddling Patch, Bright Eyes came on the radio and I cried myself silly. I can't watch WD, can't watch Bambi either 😳

Thank you. I hope she knows she's loved so much. Me and mum keep telling her we do.

I've left her in her duvet now and come to bed as I need a nap and I need to cry myself silly.

Thank you everyone. I hope she does, I try to make her as happy as I can.
It was just Saturday she hopped out into the garden and grazed.

Back