• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which cream for Urine Scald? Dermasil ?

It's for a tiny area and a £20 for a tube of stuff from the vets, I suspect there is a good cheaper option.

Just suggestions:
Sudocrem
Savlon Healing Gel
E45 in the tub (?)
F10
Cooking / olive / almond / coconut oil if nothing else to hand.

Anything bunny-safe will do the job. Depends if you need it as a greasy / waterproof barrier, and how much broken skin there is. All will make a mess of fur, so best used on shaved areas. I use the Savlon Healing Gel as it's easy to use and less gunky than some of the others.

Thank you for your suggestions :). Some are most unusual :lol:

I have heard of F10, so shall look that one up.

Much appreciated :)

I used Bepanthan on my Guinea Pig's urine scald on her feet, it cleared very quickly.

Just suggestions:
Sudocrem
Savlon Healing Gel
E45 in the tub (?)
F10
Cooking / olive / almond / coconut oil if nothing else to hand.

Anything bunny-safe will do the job. Depends if you need it as a greasy / waterproof barrier, and how much broken skin there is. All will make a mess of fur, so best used on shaved areas. I use the Savlon Healing Gel as it's easy to use and less gunky than some of the others.

I popped in on this thread because Mimzy has been fighting a sore on his weak right rear leg for some time and, while the original wound has healed, he still has urine burn on this leg and wrapping it is problematic. Any pressure on this area of the leg causes him considerable discomfort due to his arthritis. :(

I can actually find this for sale in the US! :D The Savlon healing gel is safe for bunnies then? I've been using plain antibiotic cream (which is just making a mess) manuka honey (an even bigger mess) and saline washes to try to keep the areas from infection. I'd really like to get it completely healed up.

I have used Savlon Healing Gel at the recommendation of a trusted source on here and had no problems. It's water based rather than oily so is easier to put on fragile bunny skin, but may not provide a barrier for urine - so it would depend on whether you need to keep the area dry or something soothing to allow it to heal.

I have used Savlon Healing Gel at the recommendation of a trusted source on here and had no problems. It's water based rather than oily so is easier to put on fragile bunny skin, but may not provide a barrier for urine - so it would depend on whether you need to keep the area dry or something soothing to allow it to heal.

You do have to be careful that the rabbit won't get the gel in their eyes as it's extremely irritating if so (on the advice of my vet!)

That's why Bepanthan is so good as it provides a barrier against urine and heals as well.

I find sudocrem is pretty good and also provides a bit of a barrier.

I would think that you should only put these where you know the rabbit won't lick it off. I tend to "distract" them with food so they don't go straight to the area to lick it once I have put it on and it usually takes there mind off it.

I won't have to worry about Mimzy licking this off, he hardly touches that leg although he can still dive for cecals. :mrgreen:
I usually have quite a bit of old neosporin to rinse off before applying a new dressing, but it's mostly in the fur around the bare skin that is having problems. And he's still so matted because he will not let me groom him. I do my best to keep him as neat as possible but I am wishing I could just shave his back end completely, it is a real mess. :(

We used to get something called "Heal X" or "Heal RX" that was really good for sore hock, but not sure that would be appropriate for Mimzy's condition. :(

Back