• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corrugated Pipe/Runaround Alternatives

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,
tha
I currently have 28ft of runaround type pipe, which I can no longer use as it's what damaged Foxy's foot, and developed her sore hocks. Which leaves me with a lovely run, and cut out space in the hutch that isn't connected, meaning Foxy doesn't have free reign.

Has anybody else used or know of an alternative to the corrugated stuff by way of tubing?

Thank you

Try building sites. They often have large pipes that are being thrown away unused and will often give you tons for free.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

You can get smooth drainage pipe to replace the corrugated.

You only need a few inches wide to do the job, so it may be easier to cover the corrugations on the bits that are walked on (ie just the very bottom). Can you line the bottom of the existing pipe with something like thick lino strips, rubber doormat or stable matting? Or fill it with bark chippings to cover the corrugations?

I've been speaking to runaround, and the pipes they sell are smooth inside. The pipes I have, were bought from another company which I bought the hutch from. I've since been told, this company copied runaround and are lesser quality :(.

Great ideas though, some tricky with the lengths I have but I will get Foxy's free reign back, somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd fill it with mud :) You just need enough to cover the grooves, it's cheap and it's very natural for toes :) Overfill and let the rabbits pat it down and remove any excess.

We've got a succession of pipes to make our lengths:

11143511_10101897520886728_4138833607129386864_o.jpg

The permanently connected one from run to hutch is smooth-bore and doesn't bend very much, the one from the hutch is also smooth and Lopsy has difficulty getting up it if the angle is too steep :lol: The bendy one going from the hutch straight one into the lawn pen (the join's not visible, behind the lavender) is corrugated and really bendy. Everything I've got I scavenged (by asking nicely!) from local building projects, mostly roadworks. You don't realise that '6"' pipe doesn't actually mean 6" until your OH starts putting them into each other to make longer pipes!

It might be the length of the pipe rather than the material itself? They have to move in a very specific way to get down a long tunnel: maybe breaking it up would help? So, in my example, where the join is, I could put a hidey-box, or a mesh-box (Runaround does those I think?) rather than just the join. 28' is a long way to be crawling! Someone else (username began with C I think) has made wooden tunnels: that's another option! You could make them big enough to hop down normally? Well, I would if I were going to go to the expense, effort etc. of making them, since I already have loads of tunnels. The plastic saws easily enough: I sawed a stiff lined one with just a normal tenon saw so I could fit it in the car ;P

How about just getting the mesh tunnels insteaD? They don't have a bottom so the grass will be their base - better for hocks than hard surfaces.
Could you not move the hutch closer to the run or vice versa and have a short internally-smooth runaround pipe? It only took my buns 3 hops to get through a 3ft runaround pipe, so it's not like your bunny would be in it much, and I think sore hocks is usually more caused by resting areas anyway.

I have welfare hutch company pipes. My rabbits love them. Think they are corrigated inside. for extra grip. Mud sounds like a great idea.

Back