• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello again, I'm back and need some advice

orangediva

Mama Doe
:oops:

Not sure if anyone will remember me, I was a regular on here a couple of years ago after getting two baby rabbits (Bella and Rosie) and then, very quickly, an older pair (Dennis and Betty) who needed a new home. I learnt such a lot from this forum - how and what to feed them, what is appropriate housing, what to watch out for health wise and I even met some of you on Twigs's foraging day in May 2015.

I sort of drifted away from the forum after moving house nearly 18 months ago but I used what I'd learned to set the buns up in 6ft welfare hutches attached to 7ft x7ft covered runs with 24/7 access. I started a veg plot for them and we all had a fab spring, summer and autumn in the garden last year with them taking it in turns to free range. Winter is never as much fun but the rabbits all seemed fine with their hutch snuggles and rainproof covers and lots of hay.

Then, in December, I found a Rosie dead in the hutch one morning. It was so devastating as she had shown no signs of illness, seemed to be eating normally the night before and I was so shocked - mainly because she was only two years old. I was desperately worried about the others - my first thought was the vaccination resistant VHD and I expected to find them all dead every time I went out which was horrific. Gradually it became apparent they were ok and, worrying about Bella outside on her own, I brought her in to live in the kitchen and she seems to have settled in ok. I was considering trying to find her a new partner or to maybe try her with Dennis and Betty but was waiting til the warmer weather.

Then, at the end of a January, I noticed something was not quite right with Betty. It took me a few days to really realise it as she was eating ok but she just didn't look quite right, seemed a bit quiet and seemed to be spending less time with Dennis. We went to the vet and he noticed what I hadn't - that she had a very slight head tilt and some weakness in the back legs. He also felt she had a respiratory infection and she had lost weight despite eating normally which he was very concerned about. He diagnosed EC and she was put on panacur and antibiotics to see if she responded. He felt the prognosis wasn't great largely because the weight loss indicated a likely serious problem.

Amazingly after a couple of days she really seemed to rally, she was hopping about pretty much normally and I felt that she was gaining a little weight but i went out to feed her at the weekend to find her hunched up and miserable and refusing to eat. I brought her inside to look after her but within a few hours she was virtually unresponsive so, with a very heavy heart, I took her back to the vets and my beautiful girl was pts on Monday morning. I cried all he way there and all the way back,it's such a hard thing to have to do.

This has left me with two single rabbits so, to cut a very long story short, I introduced them to each other this morning. The plan was a quick few minutes together to gauge if they might be compatible but, incredibly, they sniffed each other, had a little snuggle together and are now lying side by side in my kitchen so I'm wondering if I should leave them together? They are both on a course of a Panacur as they both have obviously been exposed to EC and I can't put Bella outside as she's been living indoors for the past two months so I'm thinking I'll keep them both in the kitchen (its bunny proofed and I have a baby gate on the door) until spring when they can maybe move back outside? Perhaps they are ok together as they've spent the past two years in neighbouring runs and time sharing the same garden?

After everything that's gone so wrong lately I can't believe the introduction has gone so well? Is there anything else I should be doing ? Should I leave them together?

I remember you :wave: I'm sorry to hear of Rosie & Betty passing.

I think your bunnies are telling you they want to be together :) I'd oblige them though obviously keep a close eye. Maybe they sensed you needed a break? Some bunnies just do click together, I hope this is one of those cases

I remember you too! :wave:

Think/hope you are right, the past couple of months have been really, really horrible and have really brought home to me how delicate rabbits are. I was really upset at the vets on Monday and she said it's common for rabbits to seem absolutely fine and then something happens and it's often catastrophic. To lose two in two months has really shocked me - I think I feel better having both Dennis and Betty indoors where I can keep an eye on them.
Thanks for the reply.

I am sorry your have lost 2 of your bunnies. It souns like your remaining pair are going to be happy together so yes I would keep them that way now, and hope all will be well for them.

I remember you too! :wave:

Think/hope you are right, the past couple of months have been really, really horrible and have really brought home to me how delicate rabbits are. I was really upset at the vets on Monday and she said it's common for rabbits to seem absolutely fine and then something happens and it's often catastrophic. To lose two in two months has really shocked me - I think I feel better having both Dennis and Betty indoors where I can keep an eye on them.
Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome. I totally appreciate how heartbreaking it will have been. I hope you'll not be a stranger for long this time & let us know how your new couple are getting on. Inside bunnies are good fun

:oops:

Not sure if anyone will remember me, I was a regular on here a couple of years ago after getting two baby rabbits (Bella and Rosie) and then, very quickly, an older pair (Dennis and Betty) who needed a new home. I learnt such a lot from this forum - how and what to feed them, what is appropriate housing, what to watch out for health wise and I even met some of you on Twigs's foraging day in May 2015.

I sort of drifted away from the forum after moving house nearly 18 months ago but I used what I'd learned to set the buns up in 6ft welfare hutches attached to 7ft x7ft covered runs with 24/7 access. I started a veg plot for them and we all had a fab spring, summer and autumn in the garden last year with them taking it in turns to free range. Winter is never as much fun but the rabbits all seemed fine with their hutch snuggles and rainproof covers and lots of hay.

Then, in December, I found a Rosie dead in the hutch one morning. It was so devastating as she had shown no signs of illness, seemed to be eating normally the night before and I was so shocked - mainly because she was only two years old. I was desperately worried about the others - my first thought was the vaccination resistant VHD and I expected to find them all dead every time I went out which was horrific. Gradually it became apparent they were ok and, worrying about Bella outside on her own, I brought her in to live in the kitchen and she seems to have settled in ok. I was considering trying to find her a new partner or to maybe try her with Dennis and Betty but was waiting til the warmer weather.

Then, at the end of a January, I noticed something was not quite right with Betty. It took me a few days to really realise it as she was eating ok but she just didn't look quite right, seemed a bit quiet and seemed to be spending less time with Dennis. We went to the vet and he noticed what I hadn't - that she had a very slight head tilt and some weakness in the back legs. He also felt she had a respiratory infection and she had lost weight despite eating normally which he was very concerned about. He diagnosed EC and she was put on panacur and antibiotics to see if she responded. He felt the prognosis wasn't great largely because the weight loss indicated a likely serious problem.

Amazingly after a couple of days she really seemed to rally, she was hopping about pretty much normally and I felt that she was gaining a little weight but i went out to feed her at the weekend to find her hunched up and miserable and refusing to eat. I brought her inside to look after her but within a few hours she was virtually unresponsive so, with a very heavy heart, I took her back to the vets and my beautiful girl was pts on Monday morning. I cried all he way there and all the way back,it's such a hard thing to have to do.

This has left me with two single rabbits so, to cut a very long story short, I introduced them to each other this morning. The plan was a quick few minutes together to gauge if they might be compatible but, incredibly, they sniffed each other, had a little snuggle together and are now lying side by side in my kitchen so I'm wondering if I should leave them together? They are both on a course of a Panacur as they both have obviously been exposed to EC and I can't put Bella outside as she's been living indoors for the past two months so I'm thinking I'll keep them both in the kitchen (its bunny proofed and I have a baby gate on the door) until spring when they can maybe move back outside? Perhaps they are ok together as they've spent the past two years in neighbouring runs and time sharing the same garden?

After everything that's gone so wrong lately I can't believe the introduction has gone so well? Is there anything else I should be doing ? Should I leave them together?

Hi orangediva :wave:

Lovely to have you back :)

I am sorry to hear your heartbreaking news .. How awful to have that happen to two of your lovely bunsters :(

Two grieving and needy rabbits will often readily accept one another, and what you've done seems to me to be exactly the right thing. I should leave them together and keep a watchful eye. Have you a baby gate because you have a baby now? :)

I have found introductions and bondings with pairs that are ready for company can take just over one hour. Yes that quick - so I am not surprised with your rabbits.

Hi orangediva :wave:

Lovely to have you back :)

I am sorry to hear your heartbreaking news .. How awful to have that happen to two of your lovely bunsters :(

Two grieving and needy rabbits will often readily accept one another, and what you've done seems to me to be exactly the right thing. I should leave them together and keep a watchful eye. Have you a baby gate because you have a baby now? :)

I have found introductions and bondings with pairs that are ready for company can take just over one hour. Yes that quick - so I am not surprised with your rabbits.

That's all very reassuring. I have stayed with them all day, though I've now moved to the sofa as they seem fine. Last time I looked they were snuggled up together in a corner! They've eaten together, neither of them as much as normal but they both keep going back to their greens and I've seen them both eating hay.

No baby, I put the gate in for Bells when she moved into the house!

You're welcome. I totally appreciate how heartbreaking it will have been. I hope you'll not be a stranger for long this time & let us know how your new couple are getting on. Inside bunnies are good fun

It already feels weird not traipsing down the garden several times today - I'm not missing the freezing rain at all. Both the buns have been through a lot lately, hopefully they can help each other.

I'll have a look and remind myself how to post piccies.

Welcome back, I joined after you :wave:

I'm so sorry for your losses x

Thank you and hi :wave:

Tonibun, I somehow missed your post, thank you for the advice and your kind words.

I have just had to bunny burrito Bella to give her her meds - she's a feisty madam when she wants to be and it's hard to get medicine into a reluctant rabbit when you live alone (my son, who some of you might remember, is at uni now). Dennis is a little more civilised and seems to have learned he gets a fenugreek crunchie straight after his panacur, thank goodness.

Thank you and hi :wave:

Tonibun, I somehow missed your post, thank you for the advice and your kind words.

I have just had to bunny burrito Bella to give her her meds - she's a feisty madam when she wants to be and it's hard to get medicine into a reluctant rabbit when you live alone (my son, who some of you might remember, is at uni now). Dennis is a little more civilised and seems to have learned he gets a fenugreek crunchie straight after his panacur, thank goodness.

If it is just panacur have you tried giving it them on a malted shreddie? Works a treat.

Did you leave the buns together & if so, how are they?

How's things going today?

Erm - amazing!

They seem to be pretty much inseparable and are following each other around or snuggling up 100% of the time - and I haven't seen Bells (black and white) look this relaxed since we lost Rosie in December. Dennis seems to have settled into the house incredibly well too, despite being four and never having lived indoors before. I'm completely amazed.

Thanks so much! And for the support yesterday - it's been an awful week but Dennis and Betty being like this is helping lots.

Erm - amazing!

They seem to be pretty much inseparable and are following each other around or snuggling up 100% of the time - and I haven't seen Bells (black and white) look this relaxed since we lost Rosie in December. Dennis seems to have settled into the house incredibly well too, despite being four and never having lived indoors before. I'm completely amazed.

This is really, really lovely to see :love::love::love:

Back