• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treacle not drinking much

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks, I posted just over a week ago, when Treacle went for her dental, with her new vet. She's been great, and dived straight into the hay box and started chomping. However, I have noticed that she is not using her water bottle, doesn't even go near it ! I have given her a small bowl, and she has been having water out of that, as it disappears, although sometimes it's tipped over. I'm going to get her one of those clip on bowls to try. She's peeing fine, but I'm worried in case she's not getting enough liquids, although her poos look too. Is there anything I can try putting in water to make it a bit more palatable ? I was thinking of avipro maybe ? She did have ulcers on her tongue, and I guess using a drinking bottle could have hurt her, so has put her off now.
Thank you !

You could try using a big heavy bowl, with straight sides like a dog bowl, I used to use a straight sided salad bowl, so that it doesn't get tipped up. Does the bottle definitely work - sometimes the valve gets clogged. Perhaps as you say the ulcers made her not want to use the bottle, I've always found they drink more from a bowl anyway:thumb:

Thanks Zoobec, yes I thought I'd try a dog bowl too. The bottle is fine, she always has 2 anyway, she just doesn't go near them, and I've marked the levels, so I know she hasn't drunk during the night. I did wonder if she had a bowl at the vets, and decided that's what she wants from now on :D just want to make sure she's getting enough liquids.

I think your view is probably right that she was avoiding the water bottle as it hurt her mouth. I would use a heavy bowl. As Zoobec said any heavy straight-sided bowl would do. I use a large, heavy Pyrex souffle dish, which I no longer use for us. It's never got tipped over. The worst that's happened is that one of them has put a foot in it by mistake.

If she is having fresh veg or herbs, I would make sure that they are washed and wet when you give them to her. This will ensure that she is getting some extra fluid.

I wouldn't put anything in the water yet, as it seems a recent issue after her dental. Hopefully, her mouth will be feeling a lot less sore and she will start drinking normally again.

Thanks Omi, yes madam gets loads of fresh herbs :D I'll have a rummage in the cupboard, see what bowls I can try her with, I'm sure she'll let me know which one gets her approval :lol:

Hi folks, I posted just over a week ago, when Treacle went for her dental, with her new vet. She's been great, and dived straight into the hay box and started chomping. However, I have noticed that she is not using her water bottle, doesn't even go near it ! I have given her a small bowl, and she has been having water out of that, as it disappears, although sometimes it's tipped over. I'm going to get her one of those clip on bowls to try. She's peeing fine, but I'm worried in case she's not getting enough liquids, although her poos look too. Is there anything I can try putting in water to make it a bit more palatable ? I was thinking of avipro maybe ? She did have ulcers on her tongue, and I guess using a drinking bottle could have hurt her, so has put her off now.
Thank you !

I have always used Mason and Cash straight sided dog bowls for water.

If you have avipro there would be no harm in putting in the water, but I wouldn't personally.

Have you a bit of fresh grass around to go with the hay and make for a bit more moisture? Lots of leafy greens, fed washed and wet, are also good, if Treacle can tolerate them x

Thanks Omi, yes madam gets loads of fresh herbs :D I'll have a rummage in the cupboard, see what bowls I can try her with, I'm sure she'll let me know which one gets her approval :lol:

A personalised one with her picture on the side :lol:

A personalised one with her picture on the side :lol:

Sounds about right :lol: I've just been out and scraped snow off the lawn to get a bit of grass, it's not brilliant stuff, but she approved. She's got me so well trained ! :roll:

If she's weeing quite a bit then she's maybe drinking more than you realise or getting it from somewhere else. I would worry if you didn't see any.
Doughnut has a heavy duty water bowl that she can't lift up, she throws her food bowl everywhere so had to get a heavy ceramic one for water!

How's her drinking?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well I've bought her one of those little bowls that fits onto the side of mesh, so far she's ignored it ! I'm dunking herbs into water, so she's getting liquids in that way. She's weeing ok though, so must be ok, think I'm getting paranoid :roll:

If she's weeing quite a bit then she's maybe drinking more than you realise or getting it from somewhere else. I would worry if you didn't see any.
Doughnut has a heavy duty water bowl that she can't lift up, she throws her food bowl everywhere so had to get a heavy ceramic one for water!

Yes I think you might be right, she's indoors so unless she's nipping out for a pint, she only gets what I give her ! :lol:

Back