• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxbow Bunny Basics

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Who uses these pellets?
I ordered some but then I read a review on amazon about a bunny choking on them and dying because they swell up. I'm now terrified to try them :oops: I know it's silly but I'm a bit nuts these days when it comes to my buns!

Who uses these pellets?
I ordered some but then I read a review on amazon about a bunny choking on them and dying because they swell up. I'm now terrified to try them :oops: I know it's silly but I'm a bit nuts these days when it comes to my buns!

I've never used them, but I think most if not all pellets will swell if they are made wet. Science Selective certainly do.

I've just had a look at them and they look very similar to Science Selective, although may be smaller and straighter.

Who uses these pellets?

I've used them for years, no issues. I found my bunnies choked on Science Selective :lol:

I believe Nickybunny uses Oxbow too :D

Well I thought so too but the reviewer tested them in bowls of water and said that the oxbow pellets swelled 3 times faster than the other pellets. I should stay off the internet at the moment I think!
The pellets are much smaller than I expected and all the other reviews that I have read have been excellent :) I think I'll just scatter feed them to prevent greedy gobbling!

Well I thought so too but the reviewer tested them in bowls of water and said that the oxbow pellets swelled 3 times faster than the other pellets. I should stay off the internet at the moment I think!
The pellets are much smaller than I expected and all the other reviews that I have read have been excellent :) I think I'll just scatter feed them to prevent greedy gobbling!

All mine are greedy gobblers :lol:

Have you got a link to the review? Perhaps I should stop feeding them!

I used them for a few years in very limited amounts, mostly without issue. I do have one bun that would get too excited when given them and consume them too quickly, and a couple of times started to appear to be choking, but it only lasted a few seconds before he was ok and his airway cleared. Then recently they changed their recipe and I kept having a bun get an upset stomach with signs of discomfort, right after eating the pellets. It was the only thing she had eaten so I knew they were the culprit of the stomach upset. It's after that I decided to stop feeding pellets altogether and only feed hay and forage now. No more upset stomach since then.

Sooo has anyone notice bunny drinking and peeing more when eating Oxbow adult pellets? Before he had Selective Grainfree. I will try to make a gentle swich back and see if anything changes.

Sooo has anyone notice bunny drinking and peeing more when eating Oxbow adult pellets? Before he had Selective Grainfree. I will try to make a gentle swich back and see if anything changes.

I've not heard of many people using them on here (just in case you don't get many replies). Is this Brko? Hope he is otherwise doing ok

I used them years ago, and didn't notice they drank and peed more compared to other pellets, but they might've changed the ingredients since then, so I don't know how useful my answer is to you.

Yes Brko is the one peeing more and also drinking. But otherwise he acts fine. He eats fine, weight is normal, active. SO before I rush to the vet for "nothing is wrong" and leaving there 30 eur for that....I started the swich. Slow and steady.

Back