• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What hay next....

Shayne_

Warren Scout
I have only a tiny bit of green oat hay (from timothyhay.co.uk) left and it wont last the week. It is part of a mix, including Crash's main timothy hay ... I give him some special mixes and timothy readigrass too

I do like giving him oat hay but tbh he doesnt like the seed heads, only part of the hay he really loves... So...

Alternative?

Im wondering what to try next.. Ive tried a bunch and hes a little fussy.. Meadow hay is just a straight up No, he wont touch it... Basically anything not green and stalky is a no no...

Ideas?

edit: Also.. I have heard of INGS hay but it is soft and hes already had dental issues so thats a no no too..

so.. No ings.. No meadow hay.. No mega seedy varieties..

Doesnt seem like much left to go on without buying small fancy bag with are expensive....?

Last edited:
Does he eat the timothy from timothyhay.co.uk? Ings is nice hay, although it's not as stalky as timothy, but it's also not as soft as meadow. Tbh I think if he likes the timothy and the green oat hay apart from the seed heads, I'd stick with that.

Even if a hay is soft, the same chewing action is used to keep the teeth worn down. Although it may seem soft, it is still abrasive :)

I have always bought B&M's meadow hay and Timothy hay.

Back