• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foraging Dilemma

CrispyClaret

Warren Scout
I have just got the Foraging for Rabbits book by Twig Way, bought it because what I know about plants and recognising them can be written in 1" capitals on my little finger nail.
If I take the book literally, I am a bit stuffed on where to forage. All the non urban land in this part of North Lincs is arable and bounded by drainage ditches. So, do I therefore assume crop sprayed and verges contaminated? There are no quiet B roads or bridal paths that are not bounded by crop growing fields that I have noticed on my travels.

I would happily use forage from the North Linc's footpaths [emoji4] , I believe crop spraying will only occur once or twice a season?

Thank you, now I can plan my gathering expeditions. One thing in easy supply will be brambles, already tried them on my sisters plant and they liked it. Nettles will be high on my list when they appear, I watched some wildies last summer on Studland beach gently pulling the nettles down to eat the flowers. Never knew they could hold things or at least pull stems with their front paws.

On my walk today I noticed there was a lot of sticky weed around. Louie used to enjoy that.

I've really struggled this winter to find many dandelions for Hettie pig but discovered they are starting to grow again now :)

I'd trust it over veg :)
You have some great places to forrage round your way, plenty of minor roads and lots of woolly backs to talk to and proper scenery. I do love occasionally miss seeing Pendle from my bedroom window. Scarily flat around here.
Forgive me indulging myself by linking a video I shot last August just down our road.
https://youtu.be/NRn7Bfwp1wk

Last edited:
On my walk today I noticed there was a lot of sticky weed around. Louie used to enjoy that.

I've really struggled this winter to find many dandelions for Hettie pig but discovered they are starting to grow again now :)

Sticky weed I wouldn't know if you beat me around the head with it, my front lawn is dandelion central. Unfortunately its also Tiggys (our cat) new fav toilet area. Back garden will have plenty of dandelions and clover with nettles near the fence. My neighbour is planting his ex potato field with grass including Timothy and has said to help myself when it grows.

You have some great places to forrage round your way, plenty of minor roads and lots of woolly backs to talk to and proper scenery. I do love occasionally miss seeing Pendle from my bedroom window. Scarily flat around here.
Forgive me indulging myself by linking a video I shot last August just down our road.
https://youtu.be/NRn7Bfwp1wk

thats beautiful ! and yes, very flat. I spent most of my adult life in Hull & moved here for the hills :lol:

Sticky weed I wouldn't know if you beat me around the head with it, my front lawn is dandelion central. Unfortunately its also Tiggys (our cat) new fav toilet area. Back garden will have plenty of dandelions and clover with nettles near the fence. My neighbour is planting his ex potato field with grass including Timothy and has said to help myself when it grows.
Sticky weed is that stuff that spreads over stuff like wildfire, and if you walk into it sticks to your clothes like Velcro.http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/solve-problems/cleavers/

We have a lot of alley ways and greens behind the houses here and I've found a lot of forage along them. They cut the grass regularly in summer but usually miss a lot of weeds along the fences lines. Do you have parks/open spaces. It doesn't have to be the middle of the countryside to find plants growing :)

I had to laugh :lol: One beat on the head and it would stick to you like glue!

I find it's growing up with cow parsley in my little haunts. I do have to watch though that areas haven't been sprayed with weedkiller, which happens now and again.

If you've got a cat, you might have already come across it. It makes tiny ball about 3-4mm across that are 'sticky' and often get caught in dog/cat hair or trouser cuffs when walking.

The layout of our village on both sides goes something like, road, footpath, house, garden, fields. The only parks are 9 miles away and I assume its frowned upon to forrage at wetlands/wildlife places.
I will just have to be creative, plenty of time to scout around before spring hits.

I'm too concerned about VHD to forage anywhere. There could easily be particles on any grass/nettles etc. Just not worth the risk at the moment, even with vaccinated bunnies.

I grew up in Essex which is hilly by comparison! My OH is from Burnley: his parent's bedroom has a lovely view of Pendle :)

The layout of our village on both sides goes something like, road, footpath, house, garden, fields. The only parks are 9 miles away and I assume its frowned upon to forrage at wetlands/wildlife places.
SSSIs are usually OK as long as you don't take anything rare (stuff you don't see elsewhere), and some reserves are OK about it. You could always contact them and ask? I have a great time foraging in the hospital grounds where I work! They use bright green weedkiller so easy to see when it's been applied :)

Well from my username you probably recognise Claret as a reference to Burnley.
Tamsin, yes, now you mention the cat getting burs in her fur I know what you're talking about. I am not young enough or too old enough to have trouser turn ups just yet. Thank you for your advice, means a lot. Also your lanes hint got me thinking and searching. Found a good spot that has real possibilities, its a glade off a public footpath and doesn't look like anywhere people would take their dogs. Very overgrown or will be with lots of brambles and nettles.

There is one garden that in theory should be totally rabbit safe for foraging. Might get into trouble though if I started taking cuttings, plus it's a fair drive now that I have moved.
IMG_0002_zpsmkpqzegu.jpg

Last edited:
You would think on a rabbit forum that that photo would get some response, poor Peter ignored in his old age.
Ha ha, I've only just been back to check on the fora! Reminds me of a cross between my parents' and grandparents' gardens. Especially the amount of rhubarb!

There's a patch of 'dead' ground behind our local Sainsbury's that's an overgrown area of canal embankment between the building and the car park. That's one of OH's favourite forage spots :) Overgrown usually means no human activity and lots forage opportunities :)

You would think on a rabbit forum that that photo would get some response, poor Peter ignored in his old age.

I've only just come on forum tonight. Was thinking "What a fantastic garden" I didn't know there was limestone in Lincs it almost looks like parts of the peak district. the watering can, terracotta pots, & beehive,rhubarb & perhaps a row of raspberries - idyllic for me. I don't think you would get much forage from it though - a bit too weed free.

Re The worries. 1st. think about the wildies. They manage just fine in a very small locality. A 3 year old wildie is an old wildie, so we can't collect forage from the verges of heavily contaminated areas eg motorways/ dual carriageways etc because of a potential for toxins to build up. A country lane is just fine. Think where does our hay come from? Where has our own shop veg come from? Outdoor fields complete with all the wild life.

Re dog walking, It's a minute risk. Watch dog behaviour - they run around a lot when released, & almost immediately do a pooh/wee. A few weeks later after some rain you'll see that where a dog has poohed a tiny patch of grass is exceptionally green & tall. (It's had a dose of good fertiliser) It's as easy as that to detect where dog walkers start their walk. It's far more important to steer clear of wildie warrens.

I also live in an arable area. We crop spray insecticide x1 usually in May, & all farms do it within a week of each other. After harvest there's a spraying of fertliser before ploughing.
You can see if a field has been sprayed with insecticide by the tractor wheels flatten the grain in the field. The spray is from long side booms. So you see this very distinctive pattern in the grain of 2 tracks close together a wide gap & then another 2 going up & down the field.
I also live where chalk is very near the surface. The most difficult aspect of foraging for me, is chalky soil dust during drought. If we've had plenty of rain - fine. If not, I have to wash the chalk off, or Benjie gets sludgy urine.

Re I/D There's usually an annual foragers thread, where we can share tips, reassure, & if you want some backup, post a photo of the plant you're trying to identify & you'll get some help.
It can be very difficult to identify a plant when it's just started growing. Much easier if we have leaves & flowers or leaves & seed heads.
The beginners plant I/D sticky has photos of plants which grow commonly & are incredibly difficult to confuse with something else. Take a look at the poisonous ones too.;)
Enjoy your foraging trips - there are birds to see, signs of small mammals & insects too. I love it.

Well from my username you probably recognise Claret as a reference to Burnley.
Tamsin, yes, now you mention the cat getting burs in her fur I know what you're talking about. I am not young enough or too old enough to have trouser turn ups just yet. Thank you for your advice, means a lot. Also your lanes hint got me thinking and searching. Found a good spot that has real possibilities, its a glade off a public footpath and doesn't look like anywhere people would take their dogs. Very overgrown or will be with lots of brambles and nettles.

There is one garden that in theory should be totally rabbit safe for foraging. Might get into trouble though if I started taking cuttings, plus it's a fair drive now that I have moved.
IMG_0002_zpsmkpqzegu.jpg

I've only just seen this!

I wonder how the Forum throws up the posts for me to read - seems random sometimes :lol:

I thought it was your garden. And I thought the Claret reference was to wine!

Yes Mr McGregor would be pleased of this garden :)

Back