Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foraging Dilemma

Warren Scout

Default Foraging Dilemma

I have just got the Foraging for Rabbits book by Twig Way, bought it because what I know about plants and recognising them can be written in 1" capitals on my little finger nail.
    If I take the book literally, I am a bit stuffed on where to forage. All the non urban land in this part of North Lincs is arable and bounded by drainage ditches. So, do I therefore assume crop sprayed and verges contaminated? There are no quiet B roads or bridal paths that are not bounded by crop growing fields that I have noticed on my travels.

Alpha Buck

I would happily use forage from the North Linc's footpaths , I believe crop spraying will only occur once or twice a season?

I'd trust it over veg

Warren Scout

Thank you, now I can plan my gathering expeditions. One thing in easy supply will be brambles, already tried them on my sisters plant and they liked it. Nettles will be high on my list when they appear, I watched some wildies last summer on Studland beach gently pulling the nettles down to eat the flowers. Never knew they could hold things or at least pull stems with their front paws.

On my walk today I noticed there was a lot of sticky weed around. Louie used to enjoy that.

I've really struggled this winter to find many dandelions for Hettie pig but discovered they are starting to grow again now

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'd trust it over veg
    You have some great places to forrage round your way, plenty of minor roads and lots of woolly backs to talk to and proper scenery. I do love occasionally miss seeing Pendle from my bedroom window. Scarily flat around here.
    Forgive me indulging myself by linking a video I shot last August just down our road.
    https://youtu.be/NRn7Bfwp1wk
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 03-02-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by *lily* View Post
    On my walk today I noticed there was a lot of sticky weed around. Louie used to enjoy that.

I've really struggled this winter to find many dandelions for Hettie pig but discovered they are starting to grow again now
    Sticky weed I wouldn't know if you beat me around the head with it, my front lawn is dandelion central. Unfortunately its also Tiggys (our cat) new fav toilet area. Back garden will have plenty of dandelions and clover with nettles near the fence. My neighbour is planting his ex potato field with grass including Timothy and has said to help myself when it grows.

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyClaret View Post
    You have some great places to forrage round your way, plenty of minor roads and lots of woolly backs to talk to and proper scenery. I do love occasionally miss seeing Pendle from my bedroom window. Scarily flat around here.
    Forgive me indulging myself by linking a video I shot last August just down our road.
    https://youtu.be/NRn7Bfwp1wk
    thats beautiful ! and yes, very flat. I spent most of my adult life in Hull & moved here for the hills

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyClaret View Post
    Sticky weed I wouldn't know if you beat me around the head with it, my front lawn is dandelion central. Unfortunately its also Tiggys (our cat) new fav toilet area. Back garden will have plenty of dandelions and clover with nettles near the fence. My neighbour is planting his ex potato field with grass including Timothy and has said to help myself when it grows.
    Sticky weed is that stuff that spreads over stuff like wildfire, and if you walk into it sticks to your clothes like Velcro.http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...lems/cleavers/

We have a lot of alley ways and greens behind the houses here and I've found a lot of forage along them. They cut the grass regularly in summer but usually miss a lot of weeds along the fences lines. Do you have parks/open spaces. It doesn't have to be the middle of the countryside to find plants growing