• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby rabbit leaving me a pile of squished cecotropes every night

Jvloomin

New Kit
I just got a new mini lop (Rocket) he's 11 weeks old, he's been with us for nearly 2 weeks now and I made sure that I got him the same pellets that the breeder was feeding him (science selective) and made sure to give it to him the same time - morning and night. I gave him 1/8th cup every time the first two nights he was fine no problems at all but since then every night he leaves me a pile of squished cecotropes.

They're not soft poos as he does normal poo's and they're lovely golden coloured and round, this is just a dark pile squished cecotropes he leaves me at night. I've seen him eat his cecotropes in the morning and afternoons, so he is eating them. Other than this he get alot of timothy hay which he loves and is constantly crunching away at.

Earlier this week I cut down his pellets to just 1/8th shared between both feeding hoping that he would eat his night time cecotropes. Since then he's lost a bit of weight, the cecotropes are still there every morning in the exact same place.

So I'm a bit worried. Should I go back to giving him 1/8th cup morning and nights? what to do about the cecotropes?? A bit confused as I didn't have this problem with Twitch my other rabbit, she's 7months now and a vision of perfect health, we just had her spayed as well.

I wouldn't worry as long as he is eating his pellets and hay - at this age baby bunnies don't always eat all their cecals and you don't want him to lose weight. When his digestive system gets more mature he should be fine. You sound like you are looking after them very well :thumb:

When I first had my two bucks (pet shop impulse buys) they would leave them as well. All was fine after a couple of weeks. Hope your boy recovers soon.

I wouldn't worry as long as he is eating his pellets and hay - at this age baby bunnies don't always eat all their cecals and you don't want him to lose weight. When his digestive system gets more mature he should be fine. You sound like you are looking after them very well :thumb:

When I first had my two bucks (pet shop impulse buys) they would leave them as well. All was fine after a couple of weeks. Hope your boy recovers soon.

Thanks guys for the reassurance, I'll give him back his pellets like normal and see how he does in the next couple of weeks. Just glad to know it's not something I did wrong to make him like this. I love this community it's been a big help to me even before I got my bunnies. :love:

Back