• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessively peeing

cara

Alpha Buck
Teddy is excessively peeing. Noticed this and the fact he had a mucky rear end. Otherwise he is perfectly fine (have noticed a lump on his head but that is another story and am not sure if I am imagining it).

He is on antibiotics and panacur. His pee is not concentrated, if I have understood correctly and no evidence of protein - but only a surgery test on protein which I understand is not definitive.

I am concerned about kidney problems .. hoping it is an infection.

What conclusion, at this point, would you make? Does this all fit the bill for an infection? I do worry!!!

Teddy is excessively peeing. Noticed this and the fact he had a mucky rear end. Otherwise he is perfectly fine (have noticed a lump on his head but that is another story and am not sure if I am imagining it).

He is on antibiotics and panacur. His pee is not concentrated, if I have understood correctly and no evidence of protein - but only a surgery test on protein which I understand is not definitive.

What conclusion, at this point, would you make? Does this all fit the bill for an infection? I do worry!!!

I am sorry that your thread seems to have been missed. Excessive weeing can be a feature of a UTI. With kidney problems there are usually other symptoms too, including excessive drinking and unexplained weightloss.The urine may be extremely dilute too, more like water than wee. Hopefully the course of treatment he is on will mean that his excessive weeing resolves. I am sure that your Vet will carry out further diagnostics if it does not x

Hi Cara - sorry to hear about Teddy.

When you say he's on antibiotics, how long has he been on them? Is it baytril? Did the vet send off a specimen for urinalysis?

I wouldn't worry about kidney problems at the moment - dependant on how long he's been on abx etc

I am sorry that your thread seems to have been missed. Excessive weeing can be a feature of a UTI. With kidney problems there are usually other symptoms too, including excessive drinking and unexplained weightloss.The urine may be extremely dilute too, more like water than wee. Hopefully the course of treatment he is on will mean that his excessive weeing resolves. I am sure that your Vet will carry out further diagnostics if it does not x

Thanks very much for your reply Jack's-Jane ... especially as I know, although not totally in the loop, that you have been having a really difficult time yourself :cry:

Feel a little reassured by your reply .. time will tell if there is any improvement.

Hi Cara - sorry to hear about Teddy.

When you say he's on antibiotics, how long has he been on them? Is it baytril? Did the vet send off a specimen for urinalysis?

I wouldn't worry about kidney problems at the moment - dependant on how long he's been on abx etc

Hi MightyMax :wave:

Today is day 2 of Baytril and no, specimen was not sent off for urinalysis. I think I am overthinking everything.

However, I do now think he has a lump on his head .... it is between his ears but on the top of his head. Even my husband has admitted it exists. Very strange as I had not noticed it previously but had commented to the vet that he seemed very aware if I stroked him between his ears. He licked his paws in response and shook head. The vet felt the area, along with the examination for the excessive peeing, but also did not notice it. It is very noticeable a day later though. What on earth could that be? To appear like it did - unless both the vet and I missed it:?

I am back at the vets on Thursday, so unless anything escalates, I shall wait till then? Otherwise, Teddy is eating, drinking and pooping as usual.

sigh ... something else to worry about!

Hi MightyMax :wave:

Today is day 2 of Baytril and no, specimen was not sent off for urinalysis. I think I am overthinking everything.

However, I do now think he has a lump on his head .... it is between his ears but on the top of his head. Even my husband has admitted it exists. Very strange as I had not noticed it previously but had commented to the vet that he seemed very aware if I stroked him between his ears. He licked his paws in response and shook head. The vet felt the area, along with the examination for the excessive peeing, but also did not notice it. It is very noticeable a day later though. What on earth could that be? To appear like it did - unless both the vet and I missed it:?

I am back at the vets on Thursday, so unless anything escalates, I shall wait till then? Otherwise, Teddy is eating, drinking and pooping as usual.

sigh ... something else to worry about!

Oh Cara, try not to worry! So day 2 of baytril is fairly early days. I am assuming his course of baytril will last until he goes back next Thursday? I would say 2/3 days to notice an improvement from abx. Put your concern on hold if you can :)

Regarding the lump - the vet should look at it and pronounce. Unless it gets massively bigger, or bleeds or changes in some way, then I would try and wait. At least 2/3 more days to see what happens. He's not had any injection of baytril to vaccination at all within the last few weeks?

I'm glad he's eating and drinking and pooping. No worries there :D

Thanks very much for your reply Jack's-Jane ... especially as I know, although not totally in the loop, that you have been having a really difficult time yourself :cry:

Feel a little reassured by your reply .. time will tell if there is any improvement.

That's OK Cara. If you think the lump on his head is getting bigger quickly I'd take Teddy back to the Vet as it might be an abscess. Whilst Teddy is now actually on abx for the suspected UTI the abx (baytril) is seldom useful for abscesses. I am assuming that you mean the 'lump' is actually on his head (skull) as opposed to on the back of his neck (the 'scruff') ?

Is the skin over the lump broken at all ? I hope that Teddy still remains well within himself ?

That's OK Cara. If you think the lump on his head is getting bigger quickly I'd take Teddy back to the Vet as it might be an abscess. Whilst Teddy is now actually on abx for the suspected UTI the abx (baytril) is seldom useful for abscesses. I am assuming that you mean the 'lump' is actually on his head (skull) as opposed to on the back of his neck (the 'scruff') ?

Is the skin over the lump broken at all ? I hope that Teddy still remains well within himself ?

Yes, lump is more skull, just including between the ears and probably extending above that line. The skin is not broken and Teddy remains fine in himself :)

Oh Cara, try not to worry! So day 2 of baytril is fairly early days. I am assuming his course of baytril will last until he goes back next Thursday? I would say 2/3 days to notice an improvement from abx. Put your concern on hold if you can :)

Regarding the lump - the vet should look at it and pronounce. Unless it gets massively bigger, or bleeds or changes in some way, then I would try and wait. At least 2/3 more days to see what happens. He's not had any injection of baytril to vaccination at all within the last few weeks?

I'm glad he's eating and drinking and pooping. No worries there :D

Teddy was raring to go, as usual first thing this morning. Splotches of pee on the floor, but early days and will give him a thorough check later when we gives meds.

Actually, Teddy did get his first baytril dose via injection, which was a thought of ours re lump, but the injection was in the scruff, so unlikely to have a link, I am thinking?

Teddy was raring to go, as usual first thing this morning. Splotches of pee on the floor, but early days and will give him a thorough check later when we gives meds.

Actually, Teddy did get his first baytril dose via injection, which was a thought of ours re lump, but the injection was in the scruff, so unlikely to have a link, I am thinking?

I think it's a long shot to think of the injection causing the lump where you say it is, to be honest. I was covering all bases, but it's not likely.

If it's not a little cyst or tumour/abscess of some sort, the only other suggestion was that sometimes fur mites can cause an odd looking lump. But if you haven't noticed any 'dandruff' around it, then it's unlikely to be that.

Lovely to hear he's still raring to go!

Topping up the vibes for little Teddy.

Hope he's OK :)

You are so kind :wave:

In himself, absolutely fine. We had lovely snuggle time late last night when I checked on him and changed his litter tray. Snuggle time is very unusual for Teddy, but not alarming. Think his lump is much the same but will check properly at teatime.

Like for most of us, giving Baytril is stressful. For the first time I am diluting it with fruit juice, but even then he doesn't seem to find it palatable. So am left think which is better, one smaller dose, or diluted juice which is twice as much :?

Panacur, on the other hand is a winner with a daily dose of toast and panacur :lol:

Think he might be peeing just a little less ... but difficult to be sure at this stage. I must be patient!

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods :wave:

You are so kind :wave:

In himself, absolutely fine. We had lovely snuggle time late last night when I checked on him and changed his litter tray. Snuggle time is very unusual for Teddy, but not alarming. Think his lump is much the same but will check properly at teatime.

Like for most of us, giving Baytril is stressful. For the first time I am diluting it with fruit juice, but even then he doesn't seem to find it palatable. So am left think which is better, one smaller dose, or diluted juice which is twice as much :?

Panacur, on the other hand is a winner with a daily dose of toast and panacur :lol:

Think he might be peeing just a little less ... but difficult to be sure at this stage. I must be patient!

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods :wave:

I'm glad he likes his Panacur - toast is usually a winner, isn't it?

Yes I had that dilemma with Baytril. I found putting some baby food in there - the bit to come out of the syringe first - worked awhile until they got wind that it was just a trick really.

Is he managing to keep himself clean underneath - no urine scald or anything?

Thanks for asking about us :)
Interesting times, but we are all surviving!

No, not keeping clean underneath. Unfortunately we had to bathe his rear end this evening and what a performance it was. He peed twice which caught both me and my husband, the chair and the floor. Apart from that, we have a routine to wash him, but getting him dry whilst he peed was very awkward.

In the end we did our best, but I know he isn't properly dry :( but it was so stressful for all concerned that we thought best to leave him to recover and hopefully dry out. He is not soaking by any means and it is a small area.

We have a couple of nice snugglely things for him to lie on so am hoping that will aid the drying process. Otherwise he remains perfectly fine. I am very much hoping to see the production of pee reduced soon!

Hope your 'interesting times' are copeable!

No, not keeping clean underneath. Unfortunately we had to bathe his rear end this evening and what a performance it was. He peed twice which caught both me and my husband, the chair and the floor. Apart from that, we have a routine to wash him, but getting him dry whilst he peed was very awkward.

In the end we did our best, but I know he isn't properly dry :( but it was so stressful for all concerned that we thought best to leave him to recover and hopefully dry out. He is not soaking by any means and it is a small area.

We have a couple of nice snugglely things for him to lie on so am hoping that will aid the drying process. Otherwise he remains perfectly fine. I am very much hoping to see the production of pee reduced soon!

Hope your 'interesting times' are copeable!

Yes I hope the abx kick in and are the right thing for his peeing. What a mess for you all! I wonder whether he peed when you perhaps pressed on his bladder? Or perhaps he just sprayed you both to get his own back? Naughty little rabbit :D

I love vet bed for wicking moisture.

My 'interesting times'... Well gosh I could wish they were slightly less kind of awful just at the mo, but hey. Have to keep going! :lol:

Teddy has been on baytril for 5 days and I am not convinced he has improved really.

We are keeping him in at the moment, which makes me very sad, but I think being in the garden in damp weather is not helping matters with his rear end as everything sticks to him making him very mucky. But I am not sure if I am doing the right thing as he is damp anyway. No urine scald. He is perfectly ok in himself.

I have been looking back at Teddys history. We will have had Teddy 5 years in May. We are not sure how old he was when we got him.

He did arrive at the rescue in a terrible state with urine scald which took many weeks to heal.

In September 15, it was commented, during holiday boarding, that Teddy was doing such huge pees, they stopped giving him fruit in case it was responsible. September 16, it was commented that he was peeing outside his litterbox, which I thought unusual but due to an unfamiliar environment. Then, I think end of last year(ish) Teddy had protein in his urine which Baytril did an excellent job of clearing up. Which brings us up to date .. a lot of pee issues!

Does any of this history have any relevance do you think? What should I expect the vet to do next?

I'm feeling rather worried, I must admit. I am terrible at getting unduly stressed over bunnies health issues and coping when they are sick :cry:

Oh, the lump remains the same but is definitely there.

Also, I have just felt his tail and it is damp. Not sure best way to tackle this as we have washed the area 3 times recently which is very stressful for him.

Teddy has been on baytril for 5 days and I am not convinced he has improved really.

We are keeping him in at the moment, which makes me very sad, but I think being in the garden in damp weather is not helping matters with his rear end as everything sticks to him making him very mucky. But I am not sure if I am doing the right thing as he is damp anyway. No urine scald. He is perfectly ok in himself.

I have been looking back at Teddys history. We will have had Teddy 5 years in May. We are not sure how old he was when we got him.

He did arrive at the rescue in a terrible state with urine scald which took many weeks to heal.

In September 15, it was commented, during holiday boarding, that Teddy was doing such huge pees, they stopped giving him fruit in case it was responsible. September 16, it was commented that he was peeing outside his litterbox, which I thought unusual but due to an unfamiliar environment. Then, I think end of last year(ish) Teddy had protein in his urine which Baytril did an excellent job of clearing up. Which brings us up to date .. a lot of pee issues!

Does any of this history have any relevance do you think? What should I expect the vet to do next?

I'm feeling rather worried, I must admit. I am terrible at getting unduly stressed over bunnies health issues and coping when they are sick :cry:

The Vet may suggest running some blood tests and also obtaining a urine sample directly from Teddy's bladder (Cytocentesis)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...div_TechniquesRabbit/Cystocentesis_Rabbit.htm

It may be a good idea to ask the Vet to clip the fur around Teddy's rear end. This should make keeping him clean and dry a bit easier.

Hi Cara

I am sorry to hear that Teddy isn't any better. Poor wee lad!

If I were you I would ask the vet to send a specimen off for urinalysis, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's the only way to see what's in the urine. Your vet will be able to express the bladder and get a sample - you don't need to collect one

It's worrying when you have to keep washing him. Can you clip the fur right down? It would make it possible to clean him with a wipe of a warm damp flannel maybe?

I guess you could also discuss with your vet the possibility of blood tests. They are expensive, but would indicate any kidney failure. That said, the kidneys have to be fairly far gone before they show up as knackered ... But there are meds he could go on if shown to be that. Unusual that he's had this type of problem recurring for such a long time .....

Has he ever had a blood test in connection with this type of thing before?

Back