• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessively peeing

The Vet may suggest running some blood tests and also obtaining a urine sample directly from Teddy's bladder (Cytocentesis)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...div_TechniquesRabbit/Cystocentesis_Rabbit.htm

It may be a good idea to ask the Vet to clip the fur around Teddy's rear end. This should make keeping him clean and dry a bit easier.

Thank you, and yes, clipping the fur would possibly help in some respects.

He has really excelled himself peeing this evening .. oh dear :(

Hi Cara

I am sorry to hear that Teddy isn't any better. Poor wee lad!

If I were you I would ask the vet to send a specimen off for urinalysis, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's the only way to see what's in the urine. Your vet will be able to express the bladder and get a sample - you don't need to collect one

It's worrying when you have to keep washing him. Can you clip the fur right down? It would make it possible to clean him with a wipe of a warm damp flannel maybe?

I guess you could also discuss with your vet the possibility of blood tests. They are expensive, but would indicate any kidney failure. That said, the kidneys have to be fairly far gone before they show up as knackered ... But there are meds he could go on if shown to be that. Unusual that he's had this type of problem recurring for such a long time .....

Has he ever had a blood test in connection with this type of thing before?

No, no tests previously. All the incidences seemed unrelated and were resolved one way or another but just now it seems very coincidental :? I just don't know.

Will feed back on Thursday. Thanks ever so to both of you for your replies which are much appreciated :wave:

Oh just looking at my previous posts .. when I refer to September 15 and 16, I should have made it clear Is the years, 2015/2016 not the 15th and 16th :oops:

Oh just looking at my previous posts .. when I refer to September 15 and 16, I should have made it clear Is the years, 2015/2016 not the 15th and 16th :oops:

Ah yes. So it's been a few occasions. Bit worrying I must say.

I shall be interested to hear what your vet has to say ........

Vibes for little Teddy :love:

And of course, he is being treated for EC, another possibility. How long would Panacur take to have an effect in this case?

More thoughts and observations ...

So Teddy is producing far less urine in his litter tray but still peeing
outside of it.

His output in litter his tray is startlingly ridiculous compared to recently. Up until a day or two ago, for ages, I have had to change his giant litter tray twice a day as paper etc was soaked. Tonight it could well have waited until tomorrow morning, but have changed it to check output overnight. I thought that was normal to pee so much?

I am now very confused as to what is normal and if this is an improvement or concerning. I have a very random thought that perhaps he could have had EC and maybe the Panacur is curing it and this is positive but am I in cuckoo land! I am sooooo confused :roll: but then a part of me is fearful that he is now not peeing enough?

Vets tomorrow, so hopefully will be more informed.

outside of it.

His output in litter his tray is startlingly ridiculous compared to recently. Up until a day or two ago, for ages, I have had to change his giant litter tray twice a day as paper etc was soaked. Tonight it could well have waited until tomorrow morning, but have changed it to check output overnight. I thought that was normal to pee so much?

I am now very confused as to what is normal and if this is an improvement or concerning. I have a very random thought that perhaps he could have had EC and maybe the Panacur is curing it and this is positive but am I in cuckoo land! I am sooooo confused :roll: but then a part of me is fearful that he is now not peeing enough?

Has he changed the amount of fluid he is drinking too?
For years I had two brothers who looked a lot alike, but they had opposite drinking habits-both lived very long lives.
Good luck at the vets and perhaps an X-ray can see if there is any sludge or stones that are irritating is bladder.

outside of it.

Hi Cara

I find it totally random with different bunnies as to how much they seem to pee. Some pee a lot even though I never see them drinking very much. Wet veggies will make for moisture :)

Panacur can indeed have a good effect. Not in all cases. It has been said that the damage from EC, once done, cannot be undone. I haven't found this to be the case, thankfully, so there is always reason for hope :D

What's the vet intending to do tomorrow, apart from a general check over?

Thank you for ALL replies, they are so appreciated :wave:

I am not sure about fluid intake. I generally fill his bowl daily and am guessing his consumption is quite normal as I might have noticed otherwise.

I actually thought I would be cancelling his appointment tomorrow as the Baytril would have kicked in and all would be good! So am not sure what the vet will make of it all or what she will propose next.

Primarily, I am struck by his pee output in his litter tray previously, as opposed to his hugely reduced output for the last couple of days. Is this good or bad ... I don't know!:roll:

Thank you for ALL replies, they are so appreciated :wave:

I am not sure about fluid intake. I generally fill his bowl daily and am guessing his consumption is quite normal as I might have noticed otherwise.

I actually thought I would be cancelling his appointment tomorrow as the Baytril would have kicked in and all would be good! So am not sure what the vet will make of it all or what she will propose next.

Primarily, I am struck by his pee output in his litter tray previously, as opposed to his hugely reduced output for the last couple of days. Is this good or bad ... I don't know!:roll:

Good luck tomorrow Cara. I hope your vet has some ingenious suggestions as to how to deal with little Teddy's dilemma xx

At the vets today, we had a really good discussion about Teddy's pee history :lol:

We came to the conclusion that in fact, Teddy had been peeing buckets too much, for months or years even and I hadn't recognised this, thinking it was normal for Teddy.

In fact I had been changing his giant litter tray (think I mentioned this earlier), twice a day and taking into account Teddy is in the garden for much of the time, this is way, way too much. It is costing me an absolute fortune in hay as his litter tray is paper with a good layer of hay.

1 week, to date, of Panacur has had a stunning result after about 3 or 4 days, as Teddy's output has decreased massively. In fact, last night, I was concerned we had another kind of problem as there was very little pee! I am not used to seeing this. I changed it only to monitor his overnight production. Again, this morning, pee quantity is a fraction of what it was. And this evening, no pees whatsoever, outside of the tray ... :p

I do not think the baytril can be the main solution (although, he may well have had an infection additionally), but all the evidence supports a diagnosis of EC. But could Teddy really have being living with EC for 5 years at least? If this is the case, poor Teddy has lived with this condition for some considerable time. In fact, his arrival at the rescue with appalling urine scald (5 years ago when I got him) and no obvious reason for this, could easily have been due to EC. He may well have been kept in poor living conditions and obviously had been neglected whereas, I think we have coped so well for so long as Teddy is so well cared for, large accommodation and the garden to run around in.

Moving forward, if we continue in this positive direction, things will be so much better for both Teddy, in particular of course, and my life will be so much easier with less expense on hay and less litter tray cleaning.

I cannot believe I have accepted so much pee as normal :oops: It has been an absolute eye opener and I hope that my experience might be of some help to others.

The vet did say that typically, we do think of EC causing Head Tilt and mobility issues and that urinary issues are much less recognised.

So, am continuing the baytril for 4 more days and the panacur for, I think a month? How long do you think it should be for?

Thanks for all the support along the way :wave:

p.s 'lump' is still there, but I 'think', it might have reduced. Vet says to monitor at this stage but not overly concerned.

Last edited:
At the vets today, we had a really good discussion about Teddy's pee history :lol:

We came to the conclusion that in fact, Teddy had been peeing buckets too much, for months or years even and I hadn't recognised this, thinking it was normal for Teddy.

In fact I had been changing his giant litter tray (think I mentioned this earlier), twice a day and taking into account Teddy is in the garden for much of the time, this is way, way too much. It is costing me an absolute fortune in hay as his litter tray is paper with a good layer of hay.

1 week, to date, of Panacur has had a stunning result after about 3 or 4 days, as Teddy's output has decreased massively. In fact, last night, I was concerned we had another kind of problem as there was very little pee! I am not used to seeing this. I changed it only to monitor his overnight production. Again, this morning, pee quantity is a fraction of what it was. And this evening, no pees whatsoever, outside of the tray ... :p

I do not think the baytril can be the main solution (although, he may well have had an infection additionally), but all the evidence supports a diagnosis of EC. But could Teddy really have being living with EC for 5 years at least? If this is the case, poor Teddy has lived with this condition for some considerable time. In fact, his arrival at the rescue with appalling urine scald (5 years ago when I got him) and no obvious reason for this, could easily have been due to EC. He may well have been kept in poor living conditions and obviously had been neglected whereas, I think we have coped so well for so long as Teddy is so well cared for, large accommodation and the garden to run around in.

Moving forward, if we continue in this positive direction, things will be so much better for both Teddy, in particular of course, and my life will be so much easier with less expense on hay and less litter tray cleaning.

I cannot believe I have accepted so much pee as normal :oops: It has been an absolute eye opener and I hope that my experience might be of some help to others.

The vet did say that typically, we do think of EC causing Head Tilt and mobility issues and that urinary issues are much less recognised.

So, am continuing the baytril for 4 more days and the panacur for, I think a month? How long do you think it should be for?

p.s 'lump' is still there, but I 'think', it might have reduced. Vet says to monitor at this stage but not overly concerned.

Hi Cara

I am glad you had a good old chat about this with your vet. Teddy could certainly have had the EC for a long time. It could've caused just the one symptom. In fact years ago, the main symptom attributable to EC was excessive and inappropriate urination.

It's always hard to define to ourselves what 'normal' is. We tend to put up with, and care for, our bunsters and don't tend to quantify what's going on sometimes. Only when we look back over a series of events do they add up to something.

Definitely do the Panacur for 28 days. Common wisdom suggests bleaching litter trays and steaming environment on days 21 and 28 of Panacur treatment, but if Ted's in the garden I wouldn't worry about this too much.

I'm glad you feel a bit of closure and hopefully a better life for you and Teddy :D

Thanks MightyMax,

I am a mightily happy bunny right now ... think you can tell :thumb:

Good luck with any ongoing issues your end :wave:

It is good to know that Teddy's urinary habits were the result of EC and are now in the past. He is lucky to have a person who has been willing to invest time and money into his care while giving him lots of love.

It is good to know that Teddy's urinary habits were the result of EC and are now in the past. He is lucky to have a person who has been willing to invest time and money into his care while giving him lots of love.

Thank you.:wave:

I must say, we have had a slight (but not total) relapse as yesterday, he was peeing inappropriately but perhaps not as much. This morning everything is as it should be, but was I unnerved to see so much pee.

Will continue to monitor it.

Thank you.:wave:

I must say, we have had a slight (but not total) relapse as yesterday, he was peeing inappropriately but perhaps not as much. This morning everything is as it should be, but was I unnerved to see so much pee.

Will continue to monitor it.

Yes I would fully expect the results to be variable.
But I hope you and the vet are hopeful that things are on the way to getting better with Teddy x

Yes I would fully expect the results to be variable.
But I hope you and the vet are hopeful that things are on the way to getting better with Teddy x

Good to hear that comment, as it is proving variable at the moment (yet to do last visit of the day), but I still think a massive improvement :)

Back