Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Excessively peeing

  1. #1
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    791

    Default Excessively peeing

    Teddy is excessively peeing. Noticed this and the fact he had a mucky rear end. Otherwise he is perfectly fine (have noticed a lump on his head but that is another story and am not sure if I am imagining it).

    He is on antibiotics and panacur. His pee is not concentrated, if I have understood correctly and no evidence of protein - but only a surgery test on protein which I understand is not definitive.

    I am concerned about kidney problems .. hoping it is an infection.

    What conclusion, at this point, would you make? Does this all fit the bill for an infection? I do worry!!!

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    124,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cara View Post
    Teddy is excessively peeing. Noticed this and the fact he had a mucky rear end. Otherwise he is perfectly fine (have noticed a lump on his head but that is another story and am not sure if I am imagining it).

    He is on antibiotics and panacur. His pee is not concentrated, if I have understood correctly and no evidence of protein - but only a surgery test on protein which I understand is not definitive.

    I am concerned about kidney problems .. hoping it is an infection.

    What conclusion, at this point, would you make? Does this all fit the bill for an infection? I do worry!!!
    I am sorry that your thread seems to have been missed. Excessive weeing can be a feature of a UTI. With kidney problems there are usually other symptoms too, including excessive drinking and unexplained weightloss.The urine may be extremely dilute too, more like water than wee. Hopefully the course of treatment he is on will mean that his excessive weeing resolves. I am sure that your Vet will carry out further diagnostics if it does not x


    Imitated but never replicated :-)

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cara View Post
    Teddy is excessively peeing. Noticed this and the fact he had a mucky rear end. Otherwise he is perfectly fine (have noticed a lump on his head but that is another story and am not sure if I am imagining it).

    He is on antibiotics and panacur. His pee is not concentrated, if I have understood correctly and no evidence of protein - but only a surgery test on protein which I understand is not definitive.

    I am concerned about kidney problems .. hoping it is an infection.

    What conclusion, at this point, would you make? Does this all fit the bill for an infection? I do worry!!!

    Hi Cara - sorry to hear about Teddy.

    When you say he's on antibiotics, how long has he been on them? Is it baytril? Did the vet send off a specimen for urinalysis?

    I wouldn't worry about kidney problems at the moment - dependant on how long he's been on abx etc

  4. #4
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I am sorry that your thread seems to have been missed. Excessive weeing can be a feature of a UTI. With kidney problems there are usually other symptoms too, including excessive drinking and unexplained weightloss.The urine may be extremely dilute too, more like water than wee. Hopefully the course of treatment he is on will mean that his excessive weeing resolves. I am sure that your Vet will carry out further diagnostics if it does not x

    Thanks very much for your reply Jack's-Jane ... especially as I know, although not totally in the loop, that you have been having a really difficult time yourself

    Feel a little reassured by your reply .. time will tell if there is any improvement.

  5. #5
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Hi Cara - sorry to hear about Teddy.

    When you say he's on antibiotics, how long has he been on them? Is it baytril? Did the vet send off a specimen for urinalysis?

    I wouldn't worry about kidney problems at the moment - dependant on how long he's been on abx etc
    Hi MightyMax

    Today is day 2 of Baytril and no, specimen was not sent off for urinalysis. I think I am overthinking everything.

    However, I do now think he has a lump on his head .... it is between his ears but on the top of his head. Even my husband has admitted it exists. Very strange as I had not noticed it previously but had commented to the vet that he seemed very aware if I stroked him between his ears. He licked his paws in response and shook head. The vet felt the area, along with the examination for the excessive peeing, but also did not notice it. It is very noticeable a day later though. What on earth could that be? To appear like it did - unless both the vet and I missed it

    I am back at the vets on Thursday, so unless anything escalates, I shall wait till then? Otherwise, Teddy is eating, drinking and pooping as usual.

    sigh ... something else to worry about!

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cara View Post
    Hi MightyMax

    Today is day 2 of Baytril and no, specimen was not sent off for urinalysis. I think I am overthinking everything.

    However, I do now think he has a lump on his head .... it is between his ears but on the top of his head. Even my husband has admitted it exists. Very strange as I had not noticed it previously but had commented to the vet that he seemed very aware if I stroked him between his ears. He licked his paws in response and shook head. The vet felt the area, along with the examination for the excessive peeing, but also did not notice it. It is very noticeable a day later though. What on earth could that be? To appear like it did - unless both the vet and I missed it

    I am back at the vets on Thursday, so unless anything escalates, I shall wait till then? Otherwise, Teddy is eating, drinking and pooping as usual.

    sigh ... something else to worry about!

    Oh Cara, try not to worry! So day 2 of baytril is fairly early days. I am assuming his course of baytril will last until he goes back next Thursday? I would say 2/3 days to notice an improvement from abx. Put your concern on hold if you can

    Regarding the lump - the vet should look at it and pronounce. Unless it gets massively bigger, or bleeds or changes in some way, then I would try and wait. At least 2/3 more days to see what happens. He's not had any injection of baytril to vaccination at all within the last few weeks?

    I'm glad he's eating and drinking and pooping. No worries there

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    124,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cara View Post
    Thanks very much for your reply Jack's-Jane ... especially as I know, although not totally in the loop, that you have been having a really difficult time yourself

    Feel a little reassured by your reply .. time will tell if there is any improvement.
    That's OK Cara. If you think the lump on his head is getting bigger quickly I'd take Teddy back to the Vet as it might be an abscess. Whilst Teddy is now actually on abx for the suspected UTI the abx (baytril) is seldom useful for abscesses. I am assuming that you mean the 'lump' is actually on his head (skull) as opposed to on the back of his neck (the 'scruff') ?

    Is the skin over the lump broken at all ? I hope that Teddy still remains well within himself ?


    Imitated but never replicated :-)

  8. #8
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    23,871

    Default

    How's Teddy dong today Cara? x

  9. #9
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    That's OK Cara. If you think the lump on his head is getting bigger quickly I'd take Teddy back to the Vet as it might be an abscess. Whilst Teddy is now actually on abx for the suspected UTI the abx (baytril) is seldom useful for abscesses. I am assuming that you mean the 'lump' is actually on his head (skull) as opposed to on the back of his neck (the 'scruff') ?

    Is the skin over the lump broken at all ? I hope that Teddy still remains well within himself ?
    Yes, lump is more skull, just including between the ears and probably extending above that line. The skin is not broken and Teddy remains fine in himself

  10. #10
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Oh Cara, try not to worry! So day 2 of baytril is fairly early days. I am assuming his course of baytril will last until he goes back next Thursday? I would say 2/3 days to notice an improvement from abx. Put your concern on hold if you can

    Regarding the lump - the vet should look at it and pronounce. Unless it gets massively bigger, or bleeds or changes in some way, then I would try and wait. At least 2/3 more days to see what happens. He's not had any injection of baytril to vaccination at all within the last few weeks?

    I'm glad he's eating and drinking and pooping. No worries there
    Teddy was raring to go, as usual first thing this morning. Splotches of pee on the floor, but early days and will give him a thorough check later when we gives meds.

    Actually, Teddy did get his first baytril dose via injection, which was a thought of ours re lump, but the injection was in the scruff, so unlikely to have a link, I am thinking?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •