• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny eating cat litter!

Hollwillow

New Kit
Hey everybody! I was wondering if anybody had any advice on rabbits eating cat litter? My bunny Bertie has a tendency to eat it straight out of my cats tray. No matter how much I put it out of his reach. He still manages to hop to it! The litter is made up of (natural quartz sand and chalk, after reading on their website) Which I would think isn't the best for his tummy at all. I was wondering if changing to a wooden based litter for my cat would be better? As I know Bertie probably might not eat that. Although he manages to eat everything else. Any help please bunny lovers? :wave:

I would change to a wood or paper based litter. Other litter, especially clumping ones could be very dangerous if eaten.

Yeah, switching to another litter will hopefully solve this... I like pine pellets for cats (the horse ones because the ones marketed for cats are ridiculously expensive for the same thing) as they're not dusty or smelly etc. Not sure if he'd try nibbling at them? Worth a shot though I guess. I feel like the paper kinds he might be more willing to nibble than wood kinds?

A change would be worthwhile, however, cat are very sensitive to their litter and may become stressed if you suddenly change it and refuse to use their trays.

I'd suggest gradually changing the litter so every day you use a little less of the old, and a little more of the new over 7 to 10 days

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree- changing gradually to wood based (gradually for the cat's sake) might work out best for everyone.

Can't say I've had this problem with buns and wood-based. However, I have caught 3 different rabbits opportunistically eating cat food... :roll:

Hm, my rabbits sometimes started to gnaw the plaster off the wall, I guessed it's because of a calcium or other mineral deficit. Apart from giving them a stone salt block I ground some eggshells to dust, mixed it with oatmeal and a little water and dried it as small cookies and gave my does some when they were about to kindle.

Anyway, prevent that your bunny eats cat litter, imho that is really dangerous for him, at least those which form clumps are.

Most catfood is chicken regardless of what it says on the tin, the fish ones contain a whopping 4% fish. Took me years to find out what "ash" was, thought it was an additive :oops:

Back