• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

13 year old rabbit requires dental work. advice needed!

MissMinnie

Mama Doe
Our 13 year old saw the vet today for a check up and it was discovered he has some spikes on his teeth that need to be dealt with. We don't know what do to. I'm not sure how he would cope with the GA.

For your peace of mind I would ask the vets to run a blood test to check the kidney function, and request he is on fluid therapy before, during and after the procedure.

Sadly, dental spurs can not be left as they will just continue to get worse to the point that he will stop eating.

The reason I would request a kidney function test is because his kidneys are what will be having to process the anaesthetic out of his system. The fluid therapy will also help the anaesthetic leave the system, meaning a quicker recovery.

I'd want him to be on gut stimulant medications as soon as he wakes up (if the vet can start them before the anaesthetic this may be better but I'm not sure if there would be much benefit).
Also ensuring he has good pain relief before the procedure starts will help encourage eating when he recovers.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Congratulations on having a bun reach such a great age. Was there any change to his eating preferences or was it just a routine check. I can understand your worries. If a GA & dental were (& probably are) your only option I'd probably risk my bunny not making it rather than risk him being in pain. I'd want a really savvy vet on the job & bloods done first. What did your vet recommend? x

If his bloods do come back showing any issues some vets will do some dental work to the back teeth on a conscious rabbit, but not many are trained in it so it might be an extra journey to find one.

No advice beyond that already given, just good wishes to offer.

I have to ask - is Phoebe still with you? Tinks is still here, blind for cataracts (EC) but otherwise in good nick for a nine year old.

Our 13 year old saw the vet today for a check up and it was discovered he has some spikes on his teeth that need to be dealt with. We don't know what do to. I'm not sure how he would cope with the GA.

With my 14 year old rabbit there is no way she would have a GA.

I would find a vet who is experienced in doing 'conscious dentals' so that there is no GA issue at all. I just wouldn't risk it.

I am *heavily* criticised for allowing a vet to work on my rabbit's teeth without a GA, but there has never been any pain above mild discomfort and of course no recovery time.

Good luck!

Sadly not. She had an ongoing ear infection that made her a target for flies during a heatwave. I kept finding the fly eggs in her coat and tried my best but one morning there was evidence of fly strike around her ear so she was put to sleep. There is a bit more to it and its a long story...... I think it was 3 years ago. Pleased to hear Phoebe's sister is doing well. Its good to hear from you!

The 13 year old is one of my original ones. I was shocked to hear about his teeth. Think the vet doesn't advise the dental because he is so old. Think I need to maybe phone another vet.

You could monitor him carefully - weigh weekly, increase hay input, check teeth again in a couple of weeks, etc. It depends on how bad the spurs are - if they start causing discomfort and affect his eating, I would probably go down the route of blood test for kidney function and then get the teeth done anyway. If he starts losing weight and is in pain from the spurs, there's not much alternative. Or he may be maintaining his weight and the spurs are not bothering him at the moment so just keep monitoring.

I've been there with a 9 year old and was prepared to lose him under GA at each (essential) dental, but he was fine with GAs and gut meds, syringe feeding, etc afterwards.

Even a conscious dental may not be suitable for a rabbit if he is going to be too stressed with the procedure. The stress alone may bring on gut stasis or a heart attack, so it would need to be discussed in depth with that vet.

I can't give any more advice apart from the great advice given. I had exactly the same with my 13 year old bunny 6 years ago but we had to let her go on advice from our fab vet, she also had a few other ailments.Every bunny is different tho and I really hope that the teeth can be sorted, 13 is a great age, wishing you lots of vibes for a positive outcome x

Chino had the dental done today and came through the anaesthetic. He is stopping at the vets overnight. Fingers crossed he can recover.

Thank you. He has been eating and is on some pain relief. I'm hoping we can fetch him home tomorrow. I will set up an enclosure in the conservatory with his companion .

Back