• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making a stoat proof house

Nikkyd

New Kit
Unfortunately I lost three of my four rabbits to a stoat two days ago. So sad and very traumatic. The stoat got through a tiny gap between the chicken wire and the fence and killed all three. I am now trying to stoat proof the bunny house any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry :(

Stoats can fit through amazingly small spaces - generally if their head fits, they will fit.

I'd find the smallest guage mesh you possibly can, at 16g or 18g welded. They will use their teeth to increase the hole of the mesh.

I'd double layer the mesh, as this will make the holes even smaller.
Any gaps between fences, runs, shed etc try to mesh, or cover with thick wood that is screwed down. They're secretly quite strong things.

I'm sorry I can't suggest much more, there were smells my ferrets hated but I've no idea if they would work to deter a hungry stoat.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That's awful I am so very sorry to hear that. Very traumatic. I had a mink in the garden once.
I guess the only advise is to make sure the wire has a very small gauge. I think there was a thread on here about stoats, may be worth googling it?

I'm so sorry :cry: I would go for 16guage weldmesh as this is apparently 1.6mm thick, rather than 19guage which is 1mm thick. I would go for the smallest aperture you can get, 1/2x1" or preferably smaller. I would mesh the floor in the same stuff, or bolt the run down onto a concrete slab. I would make sure the run is fastened securely to the hutch.

To be honest though, if it were me I think I would bring my rabbits indoors and have indoor rabbits, as I would imagine the stoat will be back, and the stress of it being around wouldn't be good.

I hope your remaining rabbit is ok.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your three bunnies in such an awful way. I hope your remaining bunny is coping ok. I'm sorry to have no practical advice, as Zoobec suggested i'd bring him / her inside if possible

Thanks so much good advice I will get some smaller mesh and also do the double layering, should help make it more secure. I also have a stoat trap.

Back